Hi from CA!

Hi everyone! I'm a 22 year old Californian and I'm new to dollhouse building but I've been interested in miniatures since I was very small - I remember building a 'Stuart Little' inspired house out of recycled items when I was 7 or 8 :) and I did build and sell a few fairy houses in my teens.

I hadn't done much recently until I saw a post on a BJD doll forum showing a Greenleaf kit getting assembled and I decided I had to own one too, fast forward a few weeks and I'd ordered an 'Orchid' dollhouse which arrived last week, I'm working on sanding all those tiny trim pieces (and gluing together the de-laminated pieces) now.

to the chagrin of my family I've taken over the little used dining room table and turned it into a mini construction zone (though I think my Dad is kind of happy I'm building something he can offer advice about)

I couldn't seem to find the forum rules, so if anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be grateful :)

• Like 1

Hi Sam

Welcome!

I'm sure one of the master builders or Mods can direct you to anything specific. Once you have posted 5 times, you will be allowed to start posting photos in your gallery.

And we do love a bit of eye candy, so feel free to share your pictorial progress!

People try to keep to the proper board for each topic and remembering all the usual "be nice, keep it clean" advice, etc and so forth.

You'll find lots of friendly advice and gorgeous eye candy in the galleries. You can search in the top right corner of the screen for anything in particular.

:cheer: and lastly, YAY for more people of the younger generations joining in this awesome hobby!!!!!

Hi Sam and welcome to the group ! The Orchid is a cute little house, several members are building one at the moment, I am finally getting around to finishing mine. The trim can be a real pain to prepare, but it looks awesome ! :) I look forward to seeing how your Orchid comes to life and so glad you've joined us. :D

I couldn't seem to find the forum rules, so if anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be grateful :)

Hi Sam, and :welcome: to the forum. I think there may be some rules posted someplace, but I can't find them either.

Lene mentioned 5-posts and you can start a Gallery. Do take pictures of your Orchid in progress. We love eye candy!

In general, to begin a new topic, go to the Forum page and choose the category that fits your subject. Try to use a subject line that clearly states the topic. Something like "Help!" isn't very useful in searching for information.

You'll find the members here very supportive. We really are a virtual family whose members look out for one another. Ask all the questions you like -- there's no such thing as a stupid question. If it puzzles you, it may well be puzzling someone else, too.

We have awesome moderators who boot the spammers and keep us in line if a topic veers into murky areas.

Welcome to the little family, Sam.

...I couldn't seem to find the forum rules, so if anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be grateful :)

Do new members no longer get the welcoming PM that explains all the stuff (well, some of it, anyway)? It's your basic internet courtesies; no flaming or spamming is tolerated and we try not to lure each other into inflamatory topics. Check the top of each subforum for specific info; the Trading Post has some rules to be followed. We used to have a chat feature, but those rules weren't followed and so we no longer have it.

Welcome, Sam!

Is that a Puki? I'm a wee bit into the bjd's and have an Amelia Thimble and Real Puki both awaiting houses. The bjd's are so fun. I started with some Kish.

Don't worry if you become addicted to dollhouses. We'll all help you justify it :) We're the best enablers around.

Enjoy the forum. It's a great place.

Morgan

Hello Sam, welcome to the forum. Glad you could join us :D

I haven't found the forum rules either - but so far nobody has kicked me out - which indicates that common sense and respect for others (and their opinions) go a long way here...

In the welcome message (check the little envelope in the upper right corner) there is a link to FAQs - that should help you along.

And of course there is one unwritten, yet understood, rule: lots of pictures. We love pictures....

Hi Sam, and welcome to the forum :welcome: I'm from Northern CA.

In the lower right hand corner of your screen should be the words "Forum Guidelines." It's a hot link so if you click on it it will take you to the forum rules (I can't believe the old timers didn't know about this!) Anyway, it's pretty straightforward, but do review them.

I have several projects under construction, one of which is a half scale Buttercup that I'm converting into an Orchid. I think everyone loves that house, so I hope you have fun with it :) Here's the start of my "Orchid."

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&album=6674

My adult daughter is into BJDs and you will find several other members who are also. I've got a half scale Ersatz Girl and my one inch scale fully articulated Chris BJD is on his way to me from New Zealand! I will post pics when he arrives :D

Hope you'll start posting pics of your Orchid progress. And lucky you that you've got a helpful dad!

...In the lower right hand corner of your screen should be the words "Forum Guidelines." It's a hot link so if you click on it it will take you to the forum rules (I can't believe the old timers didn't know about this!) Anyway, it's pretty straightforward, but do review them...

One of the first things I learned to say in French: j'ai oublie. I forgot it.

• Like 2

In the lower right hand corner of your screen should be the words "Forum Guidelines." It's a hot link so if you click on it it will take you to the forum rules (I can't believe the old timers didn't know about this!) Anyway, it's pretty straightforward, but do review them.

Doh! I knew I'd seen it someplace. Thanks, Deborah.

Thanks for the lovely welcome! I've checked out the Forum guidelines so I'm set to go noq! after I post a few more times I'll upload some in-progress pictures of my Orchid :)

morgansmith - yes she is a Pukipuki! (a Pukipuki Ante to be specific) the dollhouse I'm building is for her and my incoming TS Pukipuki Ruby to live in and I've got a 2nd dollhouse kit on the way to build a home for my Mom's Realpuki Soso 'Hazel' it's a primrose kit that I've got big plans for :)

Dalesq - oh that's looking lovely!

• Like 1

Welcome Sam. I am so happy you joined us. You are still very young, but you have an impressive background in miniatures and can probably teach us older folks a few things. But regardless of age and abilities, everyone is equally welcome.

What fascinates me about miniatures is that it is such a broad hobby that reflects individual interests and lifestyles. Once you are hooked, it never gets boring, which is why we keep coming back here to see what everyone is up to.

I think you will like this site, and I look forward to seeing your pictures.

Welcome to the motherlode of mini knowledge, inspiration and encouragement! At least, that's what this community has been for me since I joined almost a month ago. :bear:

I love how nice and friendly this forum is! (it's a great change of pace from other hobby forums I've joined in the past)

I think I definitely qualify as 'addicted' now since I went to Michaels to pick up more paint and *somehow* left with 2 of the small dollhouse kit puzzles (one is for me and the other is for my little sister)

• Like 1

Welcome Sam! I am also new here, doing my first rehab on a 25 year old custom house I rescued from craigslist. Like you, my dining room table is also the source of all the action around here. Its okay though, since everyone here (I have all teens and 20-somethings) seems to prefer eating their dinner in front of the television anyway. :D

Adding my welcome. In addition to the Forum Guidelines button at the bottom right, there is a Help button on the bottom a bit towards the left. It has answers to all kinds of questions. It might cover the same material as what someone else mentioned about a FAQ in a letter or something but I don't remember the letter, if I did get one. It's been too long.

Glad you are already addicted and posting pictures. KGDQ