This mystery house has me stumped...anyone recognize it?

Juliana

Ah, craigslist has got its hooks into me again! I've searched all day for info about this one, but no luck.

I thought it was a Worthington at first...but no...then I thought it was a half dozen other things...but again, no. A lot of "almost but not quite" possibilities. The flat rooftops on the wings and the large windows on the first floor are what I am not finding anywhere in my searches.

Look familiar to anyone? They describe it as "antique, found in an Ohio farmhouse" but I don't know...does it really look antique?

They only describe the size as "large" and the material as "wood."

They're asking $75, and I will probably buy it if the seller ever responds to my inquiry. Might not happen, though, as its been listed for over 2 months. Maybe they just forgot to remove the ad.

I seem to be attracted to large, obscure houses in need of rehab! This isn't good, because I don't have anywhere to put them. :D

post-59409-0-68768600-1394877401_thumb.j

post-59409-0-79158800-1394877424_thumb.j

post-59409-0-67231600-1394877450_thumb.j

Edited by Juliana
  • Like 1

It did strike me as having a 60s or 70s vibe to it. Nice to have my instincts validated. :) Yes, the porch is definitely unique, as is the odd placement of a bay window on the far end, as though the house wasn't long enough already! I wonder if there is a second bay window on the other end? Symmetry is sacred, you know! :ohyeah:

I've been through what books I have, but I don't see it. That doesn't mean anything - I know of a Walmer house that was only listed once in all those books or it could also be that the maker never bothered to advertize in any miniature catalog. Plus, it may be scratch built.

• Like 1

Thanks for trying, Kelly. It makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one who can't figure this one out. Well, the seller still hasn't replied after 2 days, so I probably won't be getting this one. :( Oh well, there are plenty of other shabby houses in the sea, waiting for me to revive them! :)

Ah! The seller finally got back to me this morning and says she still has it. So, providing it isn't infested with creepy crawlies (I read the other thread about that one...scary!) I will be picking it up on Sunday. Yay!

Okay, now that I have acquired 4 vintage rehab houses and one new kit in just the past several weeks...I need to TRY to stop buying anything else for a little while.

TRY.

Very much.

Seriously, I have never experienced anything like this dollhouse "craze" before. I never was into anything mini before. I didn't really even have hobbies before, aside from the occasional knitting project that I had to force myself to get through. So where is this coming from? Is this my mid life crisis? I'm just...amazed. But much happier and less anxiety ridden than I usually am! So that's good! LOL

• Like 1

I am definitely drawn to the old shabby fixer uppers the most. Probably what resonates with me is how much time and energy was spent building these houses, often as an expression of love for whoever received them, and how their state of decay suggests that this love ultimately wasn't appreciated by the recipients. This tugs at my heartstrings because I pour a whole lot of energy into my family and surroundings, to the point of breakdown-level exhaustion, but usually feel that my efforts aren't noticed or appreciated by them. So, I guess what these houses and I have in common is that we both feel taken for granted. I see past the cobwebs, peeling wallpaper and missing windows, and appreciate the energy, love and expression of creativity that the house represents. The house thanks me for noticing it, for bringing it back to life and for giving it a purpose again. Its an extremely satisfying feeling, although a bit sad that I haven't ever had human relationships that were quite this fulfilling. I guess from a psychobabble perspective, by rescuing these houses I am, in a roundabout way, giving myself the love and appreciation that I feel I am not getting from my family. And this is why I've been worrying somewhat about my sanity ever since the "fever" took hold. But I figure, if this IS a form of insanity, its a benign and gentle one and harms nobody. :)

• Like 3

.... This tugs at my heartstrings because I pour a whole lot of energy into my family and surroundings, to the point of breakdown-level exhaustion, but usually feel that my efforts aren't noticed or appreciated by them. So, I guess what these houses and I have in common is that we both feel taken for granted. ......... Its an extremely satisfying feeling, although a bit sad that I haven't ever had human relationships that were quite this fulfilling. I guess from a psychobabble perspective, by rescuing these houses I am, in a roundabout way, giving myself the love and appreciation that I feel I am not getting from my family. And this is why I've been worrying somewhat about my sanity ever since the "fever" took hold. But I figure, if this IS a form of insanity, its a benign and gentle one and harms nobody.

I'm in your camp so you are not alone in these feelings. My family expects a lot and while they say they will help me with something when I directly ask them, here's how it works. "oh I don't know how to do that, and oh, where is my basketball uniform?", or "That's nice, so when is supper cuz I'm hungry?". sigh .... Between being old, quite arthritic (desperately needing new knees), having breathing issues, still working in our own business, raising three grandchildren and all that comes with that, and having zippo help, I totally get the breakdown-level exhaustion and no one noticing - anything. It stinks but it's the way it is.

My hobbies ARE my way staying sane, whether it's dh's or sewing or painting, or creating with clay or printmaking or whatever, it is my sanity. Be thankful you have found something that is keeping you sane since your RL is feeding the negativity.

This forum is a way for me to feel connected to likeminded people who, while I've never met them in RL, seem to be quite friendly, caring, brilliantly talented, willing to share info and ideas, and are a patient and funny, and fountains of technical knowledge.

Welcome home, I'll make some tea ....

• Like 4

Selkie, I am effectively raising one toddler grandson myself while his (single) mom works and attends college. He is autistic and non-verbal. This past year has been a tumultuous one for me as two of my children as well as the grandson received their autism diagnoses all within a few months of each other! I strongly suspect my husband is on the spectrum as well, but he refuses to be evaluated. So, that partially explains to me why they all seem to live in their own heads and not notice anything I do for them. It also explains why my young-motherhood years were so very difficult!

I realize they can't help it, that they aren't intentionally self-centered, absentminded and neglectful, that they all really do need me even if they can't reciprocate or express their appreciation. But I also realize lately that they will never change, they are set into their routines, and that nothing I do to set a good example for them is ever going to be picked up by them or "stick". That's been hard to take!

So the dollhouses have helped me to step back a little emotionally, to let the family just be who they are, and re-direct my energies into something where I can actually get tangible results. It really is a wonderful "therapy" and, although I joke about it being insane, I've felt uncharacteristically steady ever since I took it up. :)

Thank you for the tea. :)

• Like 2

Ah! The seller finally got back to me this morning and says she still has it. So, providing it isn't infested with creepy crawlies (I read the other thread about that one...scary!) I will be picking it up on Sunday. Yay!

Okay, now that I have acquired 4 vintage rehab houses and one new kit in just the past several weeks...I need to TRY to stop buying anything else for a little while.

TRY.

Very much.

Seriously, I have never experienced anything like this dollhouse "craze" before. I never was into anything mini before. I didn't really even have hobbies before, aside from the occasional knitting project that I had to force myself to get through. So where is this coming from? Is this my mid life crisis? I'm just...amazed. But much happier and less anxiety ridden than I usually am! So that's good! LOL

Whatever you do, Julie, don't waste your money on expensive therapy sessions trying to figure this all out as that money can best be put into your minature cash jar. Just continue listening to us, when we tell you this is perfectly normal and healthy. A local dollhouse dealer even told me that some of his steady customers started coming to his shop because their doctors recommended this hobby.

I am very pleased you acquired this purchase because it sounds like a very good deal. If you do feel the need to cut back for practical and spacial reasons, however, that is something to take in consideration while not ignorning any positive benefits. Just remember - If at first you don't succeed, buy, buy . . . I mean, try, try again.

• Like 1

Julie and Selkie, your posts were among the most heartfelt expressions I ever read, and I can so relate to what both or you are saying. I live with three senior citizens in their 90s, and while I am grateful they are doing reasonably well for their age, they are slowing down to the point where they need my help more and more, yet still do not want to give up any control. This can make life difficult, especialy with my father who cannot do what he used to but doesn't want to admit it.

My mother's eyesight is very poor, and she can no longer see the dollhouse I had fixed up. It breaks my heart there is nothing I can do to really make her happy except for being close by, as she panics when I am away for very long. And my aunt is someone I nursed back to health five years ago and kept out of a nursing home ever since, so they take up a great deal of my time.

Deep down inside, I know they all appreciate me, but their personal frustraions have taken a toll on me. Whenever I feel drained however, I feel this hobby rejuvenates me. It is like a world I can escape to without physically going away.

Julie, I really liked your analysis of your need to rehab older dollhouses that were once labors of love. Sadly, you are probably right that many weren't appreciated; but on the other hand many were probably loved so much, they are revealing the effects of play, handling, or being out on display for long periods of time. In some cases their child owners grew up and moved on or the adult owners had to move, couldn't afford repairs, etc.

In any case, however, you are bringing new life back to these homes; but I am thinking that not only does the house appreciate you, but in many cases, their former owners would too. I am also sure your family appreciates you but cannot express appreciation the way you would want to feel it.

• Like 3