Any other scrap wood hoarders out there ?

Stacey6163

I have a couple of small boxes that are filled with punch out pieces and other scrap that came from kits, I'm sitting here with another pile to add to the collection. :). I just know I'll be able to use some of it for something someday :D it would work for some furniture or trims or...........

• Like 3

I used to save all of it in separate ziploc bags according to shape. Square shapes, rectangles, ornamental, etc. When I moved last fall I got rid of a lot of it cause there was just too much. It makes great kindling if ur going camping too btw. Now I use more of the basswood and definitely hoard all thicknesses, I've been using more balsa lately too. It's so nice to have a decent supply on hand so you don't have to run to the store for it constantly .

• Like 2

I'm guilty. But I'm getting smarter about it. I cut off long pieces to use for trims. I also cut off pieces that can be used for partitions, etc.

I also save any trim pieces I'm not using in the build.

A good example is, in Swift Cottage I closed off two windows on one side for the exterior brick of the fireplace. I kept the window trim pieces, and then for the White Rose I used one of the open square pieces of the double hung window as a small bannister for the third floor ladder opening. Perfect solution!

• Like 1

I used scraps from the Coventry cottage that I am building to make the bay in the kitchen a couple of inches deeper. There is a lot of good wood wasted in that kit! I still have a lot more useable pieces left. Yes I am a hoarder. I have a large drawer just for kit leftovers.

• Like 3

Yup ! I have boxes - yes, plural - ya just never know when you'll need that one thing.

I would feel horribly guilty throwing out some of my tree friends.

Seriously though, I have used lots of it for small items.

• Like 1

I had issues with our workshop finisher because we bought 30 sheets of 1/4" plywood and I told him I wanted all the offcuts. The day before they were finishing I asked him where my offcuts were and he said they were in his burn pile... he brought me the ones that hadn't been burned and DH promised me another, new piece.

• Like 4

... and now the bulletin has gone out for the missing workshop finisher, last seen wasting wood scraps! :evil:

Yes, I keep wood trimmings and leftovers. When I work so much in the 1:144 scale, no scrap is too small! Sometimes I use them to test paint on - to see how it will look on the house I'm building out of the same wood. I also hoard the acrylic bubble-pack thingies - they come in handy for windows and all kinds of things. I have a drawer full of those.

• Like 4

I keep the punchouts, like window openings, the negative spaces in railings, etc. I also keep some of the punched out sheets, as I've discovered they make neat 3-D assemblies when stacked with spacers between them. Splintered wood, flimsy sheets, etc., go to Lloyd for his chiminea.

• Like 1

Well, yeah! My daughter keeps threatening to have a bonfire at my funeral because I have a lot of mini scraps, and stuff from the house and barns. Her hubby is a contractor and he keeps scraps, too. So whenever we have to fix something, we grab an appropriate piece and make some snide comment about bonfires just to watch her face. . . There's also micellaneous hardware in the "20 year cans." Ask a veteran what that is!

• Like 2

The porch on my house is scrap I raided from a friend's hubby. Even got him to cut it to size. I would have raided my dad's, but I made the error of asking first. He is in end stage COPD, and the cogntive degeneration has made a difficult personality downright impossible....

He started yelling about how he NEEDED all that wood, he had plans for it. *rolling eyes*. He refuses to leave his bedroom except to go potty!

But yes, I have scrap wood, fabric, foamboard and floss....and paint, brushes, old charts, beads......

• Like 1

It doesn't matter! If it MIGHT be usable in the future (for furniture or extra decoration or just to test paints or glues on), it is salvageable! And it doesn't matter if it is the scraps from the kit. It could be the inner seal in a soda bottle cap or some various piece of computer equipment or even a random paper clip (if it has potential mini usability), it is saved for future use in dollhouse building.

When you get to a point with wood scraps from your kit that you can find no other use, they are GREAT kindling for a fire (camping, backyard fireplace, indoor fireplace). I save every piece I can, but when there are no more uses, they do make excellent fire starters.

I have used and still use ziploc bags to save various mini pieces (wood, plastic, metal) for dollhouse builds. I seem to have finally gotten my kids to save things they'd usually throw out (misc. computer pieces, egg cartons, etc) and they bring them to me. I was so excited when my son brought me pieces from an ipod he had needed to dismantle; he exited the room very quickly when he saw my greedy smile and how carefully the pieces were handled. They are in a ziploc bag and in my stash for future use. I also use the plastic shoe boxes and other like containers.

So, yes, I am a hoarder! Especially when it comes to stuff for mini's.

I also have a pile of wood (carefully stacked out back) of RL scrap wood from construction sites I have snagged for possible use around the house (built our steps and porch from scraps and salvages and made a shelf in our window, as well as done a few other things around the house).

Holly, that workshop builder owes YOU money if the agreement beforehand was that YOU get the scraps and he scarfed them! Shame on him! Glad your hubby is trying to make that better, but it should NOT come out of Hubby's pocket to replace what the builder was obligated to return to you! It should come from the builder at HIS expense, not yours or hubby's. For Hubby to replace what the builder took from you is (1) letting him -the builder- get away with a crime and (2) making you/hubby pay extra for the build you had him -the builder- do.

I'm only just getting started, but you all are giving me a glimpse into my future. :D I just paid actual money for two little rectangular chunks of wood that were salvaged from an old grandfather clock case. They are faux-painted to look like marble. The instant I saw them I knew they were destined to become fancy fireplace hearths.

• Like 1

We have a table factory in a nearby town that used to throw loads if 1/2 to 3/4 " plywood away and I'm talking BIG pieces. John would come home with the Jimmy packed full, round , square, rectangle and odd shaped pieces. My craft table is one of the large rounds and my future castle build is cut from pieces that came from there, they stopped throwing it out, but he has a nice stash put away. :D

• Like 2

Like Juliana I'm new to dollhouse building (super new actually since I'm working on my first dollhouse :) ) but my wood 'stash' is already accumulating - so far I've saved far to many scraps from my Orchid and the trim pieces from JoAnns, Michaels and Home Depot are starting to gather too :)

• Like 1

Like Juliana I'm new to dollhouse building (super new actually since I'm working on my first dollhouse :) ) but my wood 'stash' is already accumulating - so far I've saved far to many scraps from my Orchid and the trim pieces from JoAnns, Michaels and Home Depot are starting to gather too :)

Not too much. Hang onto those scraps and let your imagination free.

• Like 1

No, Vicki, there was nothing "official"; while he was cutting strips to cover the seams and make framed shims for the recepticle covers to lie flush I mentioned wanting the offcuts when he was done and he nodded; turns out that he's deaf in that ear and was nodding that he saw I was talking; he brought me what his wife had not gone ahead and burned, and was very apologetic. But yes, I hoard everything, including wood!

• Like 1

Hoarding is such a strong word... I have dedicated drawers. And drums. And...

I use a drum for usable leftover wood, mailing tubes for long trims, coffee-cans for short trims, drawer for wallpaper, drawer for flat pieces, drawer for furniture kits... but I really don't hoard scrap wood. Never that. :bigwink:

• Like 2

It's not easy being green. I'm still hoarding. The recycling part will sometimes not happen for several years. I still have things that I moved from our last house... That was 17 or 18 years ago! That includes kit parts. It all gets used... Eventually.

• Like 1