Anyone have an intimidating build??

firef2005

Meaning house build, not body build! :D I'm working on my Queen Anne by RGT. This build has been tough. Probably the hardest one I've done. Even though I've tried very hard to be careful, I have screwed up in a few places, but not to the point that it has to be ripped apart. Will just have to make some minor 'adjustments' later. Has anyone built a particular house that just seemed really difficult, or maybe intimidated them a bit? I will keep plugging on, just hope I can get it right!

• Like 1

My first kit was the Dura-Craft San Franciscan, the SF555; I had no clue what I was doing, it took 3 1/2 years, and scared the crap out of me; after that I may get the newbie collywobbles when I open a box, but they go away as soon as the house begins to chat with me.

• Like 2

I put this house away for an entire year. It started 'talking' to me again, so I brought it back out. I know what I want to do with it, (or what it wants), just don't remember a house being this hard to build before.

• Like 1

"Newbie collywobbles," - Holly I love that phrase. I never heard the word collywobbles before, but it's a good one to describe sudden queasiness. Reading directions can be intimidating, so I am glad your houses talk you through it. From your work and wealth of knowledge, I take it you are a good listener.

• Like 2

"Newbie collywobbles," - Holly I love that phrase. I never heard the word collywobbles before, but it's a good one to describe sudden queasiness. Reading directions can be intimidating, so I am glad your houses talk you through it. From your work and wealth of knowledge, I take it you are a good listener.

Obviously your vocabulary was never exposed to Walt Kelly's Pogo.

• Like 1

I had a little half-scale puzzle house that I tried really hard to build, but it just didn't "go" anywhere. Eventually I gave it to my friend. Apparently it is an intimidator of note - she says it just won't let her finish it (and she has been building houses for nearly 30 years).

My custom built rehab wants to become a replica of a specific historic Louisiana plantation that was built in the 1850s. I try to tell it no way, but it just won't shut up about it. :blahblah1: Never mind this is my first ever experience with a dollhouse. I've never even been to Louisiana, nor have I ever been enamored by life in the Old South. So this isn't really my idea, it's what the house has her heart set on! Intimidated? Who, me? I don't know enough about where I am headed to realize that I probably ought to be intimidated. The phrase, "fools walk where angels fear to tread," might be more applicable in my particular situation. :boat: I am traveling deep into uncharted waters!

Obviously your vocabulary was never exposed to Walt Kelly's Pogo.

Equally obviously, your's was. hehehehehehehehe I loves Pogo.

I've had a lot of houses that were Divas (the Willowcrest being top at that list) but they weren't intimidating, just opinionated. Sometimes I'd listen to the house and sometimes I'd just pick up the sledge hammer and remind the Diva-house that it could be bashed into a little doghouse and a big box of toothpicks if it didn't drop the attitude. If that didn't work, then I'd just give in and do what the house wanted in the first place. I hate it when I have a creative disagreement with my dollhouses.

Deb

• Like 1

I am finding the Fairfield an intimidating build because it has so many areas to cover. I bought a load of individual bricks and realised if I cover the tower in the bricks the roof won't fit on. Not sure what to put on the tower now as it can't be left bare. There is too much glue and debris to leave bare.

I made a particularly bad choice for my first build - a vintage Dura-Craft "Shenendoah" log cabin. I remember opening the package and realizing with horror that "authentic log cabin construction" meant over 600 logs to be sanded and stained and then glued together. Took over two years to build and I was stuck for six months on the roof. However, that experience has made subsequent houses from kits a breeze!!!

• Like 4

*ALL* builds are intimidating to me. To the point that my sister is taking over my Orchid build. Even as kids, I could not do models. Do you remember the horse model kits? Just glue the two sides of the horse together, and voilia!

Well, my poor horses looked the kindest thing to do would be put them down.... :ermm:

• Like 4

Right now this sorceress tower is pretty long and almost feels like forever. I am converting a 1/12th scale Greenleaf Light House to a stone tower with paper clay.

This is my first fully detailed paper clay build and I am trying to really go big and interesting on it. The process of creating equal brickwork on 5 panels inside and outside is ...interesting. Then I will have to add details like stone framed windows and doors..and then once assembled I am going to bracket the exterior joints in more paper clay to add another layer of interest..

I am not a very patient person..so this struggle...its a big'un! :bangin:

• Like 3

Jane, your lighthouse is inspirational! Wowza - how long did it take you to make the floor stonework? Is that the bottom floor? What are you going to do with the next 2 floors? Did you design it yourself or copy a stonework design from a website?

Sorry for rambling, I haven't gotten far with my lighthouse yet (Eternity Point for Dracula), but my bottom room is going to be a fish-themed bar and I'm still collecting ideas for the floor. Definitely going to follow your blog and will check out some more posts when I have time and good luck with the classes - the troll homes look adorable!

• Like 1

My custom built rehab wants to become a replica of a specific historic Louisiana plantation that was built in the 1850s. I try to tell it no way, but it just won't shut up about it. :blahblah1: Never mind this is my first ever experience with a dollhouse. I've never even been to Louisiana, nor have I ever been enamored by life in the Old South. So this isn't really my idea, it's what the house has her heart set on! Intimidated? Who, me? I don't know enough about where I am headed to realize that I probably ought to be intimidated. The phrase, "fools walk where angels fear to tread," might be more applicable in my particular situation. :boat: I am traveling deep into uncharted waters!

Somebody has to lead the angels, Julie. Your little house must have decided you are the one! - Happy sailing.

• Like 1

Lou, have you considered a paperclay or stucco finish?

I thought about that but there is literally only room for paint or paper as the roof fits flush half way up the tower. What I will probably do is stick black paper on with modge podge and then stencil and varnish it with matt varnish.

Jane, your lighthouse is inspirational! Wowza - how long did it take you to make the floor stonework? Is that the bottom floor? What are you going to do with the next 2 floors? Did you design it yourself or copy a stonework design from a website?

Sorry for rambling, I haven't gotten far with my lighthouse yet (Eternity Point for Dracula), but my bottom room is going to be a fish-themed bar and I'm still collecting ideas for the floor. Definitely going to follow your blog and will check out some more posts when I have time and good luck with the classes - the troll homes look adorable

Haha thanks hon, that is the bottom floor it took about 2 days on and off.. I am very new to the whole process of creating stonework so I just kind of followed the dimensions of the floor. I used its octagon shape to create trapezoid petals. So each segment was done using a ruler to create the brick. Repeated pattern. Its a original pattern so nothing out of any era or time.

Thanks for the well wishes, the Fairy Garden Class is coming up soon :freaked: ..little nervous.

• Like 1

Right now this sorceress tower is pretty long and almost feels like forever. I am converting a 1/12th scale Greenleaf Light House to a stone tower with paper clay.

This is my first fully detailed paper clay build and I am trying to really go big and interesting on it. The process of creating equal brickwork on 5 panels inside and outside is ...interesting. Then I will have to add details like stone framed windows and doors..and then once assembled I am going to bracket the exterior joints in more paper clay to add another layer of interest..

I am not a very patient person..so this struggle...its a big'un! :bangin:

i have been looking at your pics Jane and all I can say is, "I NEED MANDRAKES" :D

• Like 1

i have been looking at your pics Jane and all I can say is, "I NEED MANDRAKES" :D

Thanks hon, you know I only ever made one for my friend in a set one time...I think I'd be better at them now..I hope *lol*

He's sitting on the edge in this witches set...

8574090065_612bd66a22_z.jpg

• Like 1

I think every build has been somewhat intimidating for me. This is especially true when I want to try out something I haven't ever done before. I have to admit that blogging the process can put an enormous pressure on me as well. Choosing a color scheme always makes me fearful too.

• Like 2

I've already torn out floors, wallpaper, and sanded stuff off on this one. Right now I'm just focusing on the basics, the build, and keeping a journal of ideas for later when I get to the decorating part. That will be a challenge, as I've never done 'aged' or 'shabby'. I'm finding that making things look old, is actually quite a bit of work. I'm just trying to have fun with it, don't have near as much time to work on it as I'd like, but I find that keeping pencil and paper handy to write ideas down helps for when I can get back to it.