Family Reunion of Old Missing Members

Peggi

How are y'all making that quote thing work? It won't work for me....

I have no trouble with the quote function no matter what mode I'm in quick or more reply but I'm always on my regular old laptop with a hard wire connection to the Internet. I think what the difference folks have found is whether you are on a regular computer or not. The ones that seem to have troubles with the quote function are the ones that are on their iphones, ipads, tablets, etc. and all those types of mobile gadgets. I don't have any of those gadgets so I don't understand the differences but that seems to be where the issue lies.

Linda, I am so glad to se you here. I was wondering how you are doing.. I couldn't remember your username and as soon as I seen lpcullen I was thrilled.

Jen, how are you doing? I havent seen you on facebook in forever either. I am thrilled you stopped in, keep in touch. Im still building and rehabbing the dollhouses.. I cleaned out my craft room and it looks great, now I can get down there and do some serious rehabs.

Kellee

• Like 1

Newt has not passed on. She just had an article written about her a short time ago for the work she does. I found both the article and some other things. I called her but got the answering machine.

Oh thank god. <breathing a huge sigh of relief> If you call her again, tell her that Deb said I love her and miss her and want her to come back home.

Deb

• Like 2

Newt has not passed on. She just had an article written about her a short time ago for the work she does. I found both the article and some other things. I called her but got the answering machine.

Thank goodness! I think you can safely tell her we ALL miss her, please come home!

• Like 1

Glad to see so many coming back :) I was doing a search a few weeks ago and read a bunch of articles, and then realized that I wasn't seeing these names anymore! So glad so many are returning.

(3rd attempt) ..I wanted to give a Shout-out to Caseymini and to her adorable, naughty witch! Have thought about you many times and many of the cool ideas I got from your blog. And now I would also like to see April here too. :wave::wave:

• Like 1

Selkie, I'm on a regular desk top. How about somebody give me some step by step instructions? I'm computer illiterate....

I just ran a couple of different ways to reply to posts and use the quote function. Here is how I can describe the various options.

1. If you click on the quote or multi-quote button in the post you want, it automatically places the quote in the box at the very bottom of the page. You can edit within the quote box to take out parts you are not referring to in your reply and if you take out too much, just hit the blue curved arrow on the toolbar in the post box and it will restore it and you can start over. Click outside of the added quote to add your own data.

2. If you click on More Reply Options at the bottom of the page beside the Post button OR you click on the Rely to this Topic at the top of the page, you have to go thru a ton of hoops to get the quote into your post box. It's possible to do but not worth the effort when the box at the bottom of the page gets the quote automatically right away.

3. If you hit the little speech bubble on the toolbar, it creates a quote box at the bottom of the page as well. You can copy and paste into that quote box BUT it won't identify the person you are quoting from and it won't notify the person that you have quoted them and it won't have the little arrow in the top right corner to be able to click on that automatically sends you back to the source post. I prefer not to use that feature because I like to offer the option for folks to get to the source.

Bottom line: Click on the quote button in the post, it lands at the bottom of the page, add your text, hit post button and you are done.

Hope that helps and if you have more questions, just ask.

• Like 1

The problem with the quote function has to do with the version of IE you are using. I think it is 11 that doesn't work, may also be 10. If you are on Windows 8.1 then it is probably not working for you. Safari works, Firefox and Chrome may. I tried compatibility view in IE with no success.

My phone works fine, as does a Windows 8 tablet. When I upgraded it to 8.1 it stopped.

I have Windows 7 and IE 10 - works on that.

I also have Windows XP and IE 8 and it works on that too.

(I know that's ancient but I love it and boo hoo hoo I only have service until 4/8/14. sniffle sniffle sniffle)

At our office the techie folks told us NOT to install IE 11 because it messed up tons of things and wasn't compatible with a lot of the proprietary software we have to use. I've not done it at home because of that advice.

The problem with the quote function has to do with the version of IE you are using. I think it is 11 that doesn't work, may also be 10. If you are on Windows 8.1 then it is probably not working for you. Safari works, Firefox and Chrome may. I tried compatibility view in IE with no success.

My phone works fine, as does a Windows 8 tablet. When I upgraded it to 8.1 it stopped.

OK. I've done all those things. Nothing appears in the bottom or top of the box when I hit the quote button on a post...so...

Check which version of Internet Explorer you have installed. You can check that by clicking on the Help button on the top of your IE toolbar, then click on About Internet Explorer. It will list which one you have. I have IE 10 on a Windows 7 operating system and it works fine. If you find you have IE 11,you can uninstall IE 11 and go back to IE10 if you wanted to. If you have Win 8.1, as Tracy mentioned, it may just not work on that platform until GL updates it's systems to match it.

It's IE11.

Oh dear. You can uninstall it and go back to IE 10 as I mentioned. It's a bit of a pain but doable if you really want the other functions before GL ever gets around to updating here. I have to keep IE 10 until our proprietary software is made compatible so I blocked the auto install on MS updates.

• Like 1

Traci!!! So good to see you again! How have you been? Whatcha been up to?

Linda, the components of the forum you're having problems with are either Flash or Java based. IE 11 *and* some anti-virus software programs don't play well with those things anymore so that's why you're not getting all the bells and whistles. Try using Chrome instead and you'll find it easier to use (it's as uncomplicated as a browser can be) and it'll work better for a lot of things. I know you're devoted to IE, but believe me, you'll like Chrome better once you get used to it because it's as user friendly as it gets. If the problem still exists after that, it's in your anti-virus software blocking those components and you'd have to simply change the settings in the program to allow java and flash. But I bet it'll be fixed when you dump IE 11. Bill Gates is evil.

Deb

• Like 2