Delving into another new pastime.

Well thanks to Craig's list I have another hobby to try, steampunk. There was a listing for misc. craft supplies for $5 and the pictures showed a bag of embroidery floss and some beads. Well the lady dropped it off to Chad at his work because it was close, and what a deal! There were 140 full skeins of floss, two quart bags of all sorts of beads, a bunch of scrapbooking stamps, and a large bag of watches, so many gears and springs and cool looking pieces! I've been looking at images online and have decided to try and make a steam punk spider, just what I need, another craft project :D

Or maybe even a steam punk style dollhouse ? :)

• Like 2

What fun,Stacey-can't wait to see what you come up with! You are so creative I know it will be incomparable! ;)

Oh my, lol. It will be fun to try something so different. Thanks for the vote of confidence Kat ! :D

• Like 1

Okay, I'll confess. I had no idea what steampunk referred to, so I looked it up, and I still don't know what this is all about. I am picturing one of those machines that acts like a steam iron when placing transfers onto tee-shirts. Am I close?

I also think about Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and the crazy looking inventions they had as part of the steampunk venue.

It so easily adapts to miniatures that I'm surprised more folks haven't run with it.

Can't wait to see where you head with your new treasures Stacey.

• Like 2

Stacey, you'll love doing steampunk. It can go as far as your imagination can take it. I watch movies like Golden Compass or Wild, Wild West (the version with Will Smith) and Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang to get into a steampunk mood. I even have steampunk clothing and jewelry that I wear myself. So far my favorite is the quarter scale steampunk fairy house http://www.debsminis.com/steampunk_fairy_house.htm%C2'> but I'm pretty fond of the rocking chair too. <grinning> Once I stumbled across a posting of my steampunk stove on Gizmoto and the conversation was about how well it would work. It took me a few minutes to realize that they didn't recognize it was a miniature! <cackle> I thought about posting to tell them that it wasn't a real life size stove and then decided to quietly leave them to their discussion. It was a lot more entertaining for me that way.

The steampunk project that I'm looking forward to is building a house for Dr. Thaddeus Robertson, my steampunk alter ego. It figures that my imaginary friend is a six inch tall mad scientist. LOL!! I'll commission Julie Campbell to make the doll and then he can consult with Zar about some of the technicalities. Is it weird that my imaginary friend is planning on a business meeting with Casey's doll? Nah, that's not weird at all.

Stacey, I hope that you keep us posted on your steampunk obsession. I don't know if you're familiar with the website cakewrecks.com but if you go to the bottom of the page, there's a link there for Jen's 3G page where she does a lot of steampunk tutorials. She and her husband are decorating their real life house in steampunk so you'll be amazed at what they've come up with.

Deb