Interest In Weightloss Support Topic Here?

Minis Over The Hill

I know this would be helpful to me, if anyone else is interested, maybe we could do a group right here on GL, Chit-Chat. I joined Weight Watchers Online and gained five pounds, yup, sure did. Got off that after a month. What I suggest is if people are interested, 1)set an attainable short-term goal, such as lose ten pounds or a dress size, etc, 2)keep a food journal to record our challenges and victories, and 3)weigh ourselves once a week (no need to tell your weight). If you come across any particularly beneficial recipes, attach a Word file to your post. Please stay on topic, be positive, supportive and give suggestions only if asked. Here's a recipe that I find comforting and healthy.

Black Bean Soup.doc

If you exercise and eat less, you lose weight.

If you eat less, but don't exercise, you lose weight.

If you exercise but do not change your eating habits, weight loss is difficult.

So says my endo and it is true. You can try a app called MyFitnessPal. It is also a website.

I will hold back for now. I just got out of a group like this. I started to see unhealthy goals and challenges that smacked of eating disorder.

I am NOT saying that about this thread... I just need a break. I might join in later. Good Luck!

Joane,I like your idea for a separate weight-loss focused topic,being that I need to lose quite a few pounds,but can't spend a lot of money to do it on a commercial program. I'm not a fancy cook,but would welcome some recipes to help,so I'll be checking back in and adding any I find myself. I do hope your suggested guidelines(Quoted Below) are followed,so we can stay with the purpose of the topic-this coming from one who often goes off topic,along with many other members!LOL But I promise to be good here!:)

Please stay on topic, be positive, supportive and give suggestions only if asked.

• Like 2

Great Kellee, couldn't agree with you more on those areas. I haven't had a waist in years and have some jingle jangles on my thighs I'd like to get rid of. I just signed up at the gym of my senior center, and have gone four times in two weeks. I'm going to try and get there at least three times this week. How about you, what's your plan?

I'll happily join in! Not having a thyroid gland makes it almost impossible to lose weight and with my skeletal issues, exercise is limited to how much I can move so it's not regular. My metabolic system is so messed up that I lost 30 pounds when my thyroid went from being hyperactive to hypo (that's the exact opposite of what it should do). I've had a goal of resuming Tai Chi for the past three years to help my joints and muscles and losing weight would help me attain that goal.

My eating habits are bad because I deal with a lot of fatigue and am not always able to cook. My body also craves carbs to combat the fatigue so I tend to grab a handful of crackers instead of a real meal. Another challenge is constant nausea from some of my meds and again, a handful of crackers or pretzels ease the nausea..........or if I have to take a pain pill with food I'll have a glass of ginger ale and some crackers so it won't upset my stomach even more. I don't want to sound like I'm whining or giving a laundry list of my illnesses, I just want y'all to know what I'm up against as we begin. Joane, I appreciate your guidelines as well because I do already know what I should be eating and how..........but the support of friends and the motivation of hearing what others are doing is something that I think will help me.

My goal is to start eating more fresh foods. It's a simple one to start with and since I love salads it's also practical. Summer is coming up and Bruce and I enjoy things like chef salad, southwestern chicken salad, grilled chicken salad, taco salad, cobb salad, or just about anything that can be tossed in a bowl of greens and tomatoes. Since salads are also easy and fast to prepare without having to stand for too long, I'll be able to "cook" more often. I can also make extra salad for dinner and have the leftovers for lunch the next day.

So that's my plan. The biggest thing is to start eating healthier and if the weight loss happens along with it, that's even better. I have some excellent low fat recipes on my old laptop that I'll try to access and share here when I do.

Deb

• Like 1

Deb, thanks for posting. You do have some real challenges going on, but I love that you're taking the first step and as you say, "start eating more fresh foods. It's a simple one to start with and since I love salads it's also practical" Yes, I do think physically and psychologically you'll feel good with this step. I'll try and go along with you on that one. Love to hear from you what works well, and any delicious and easy recipes you'd care to share.

I just made a Moroccan Raw Carrot Salad today for the first time. :eatyum: It was a new recipe to me. It was quite different and refreshing. Was too much work for something to do on a regular basis.

I also take outrageous doses of thyroid meds and with my arthritis, I don't do very well at all. For about a year I was really faithful in going to the water exercise at the Y and did some machine weights while I was there. I dropped off from that last Fall.

Bad, bad Selkie :cops:

I love salads, but they don't love me. Since developing IBS abou 3 years ago lettuce is the one food I can identify that will hurt, but sometimes I still have to indulge in a good old garden salad. I will also look for some more recipes, I should have some save around here somewhere even though I sent my cookbook home with my 14 year old GD who is having weight issues. I know I have some WW desert recipes too.

I so agree on the fresh foods! I'm luckily not a big sweet eater,but just as bad,I like chips and pretzels and cheesy foods. I am trying to eat more fresh fruits and vegetables,although I may have to puree some into smoothies and such as I have bad teeth and (Like Peggi) digestive issues when I get too much 'natural fiber' in raw,crunchy form-or spicy foods,for that matter...

I don't know how much I currently weigh,(And I know we aren't sharing that part!lol) just that I have much too big a belly for my frame and I don't like what I see in the mirror. I plan to get a scale-I threw mine out years ago,angry at it instead of myself!lol When I see how bad it is,I will come up with a goal weight. But I just mainly want to feel better and I know starting to eat more fresh foods will help alot!

I've had a cold and sore throat for 3 days and am having to eat soups and broth and drink lots of fluids,so I bet that hasn't hurt! I had a cooked apple awhile ago and it was pretty good! :)

• Like 1

Selkie, that Moroccan carrot recipe sounds good, post when you have time if you'd like. Peggi, I have mild IBS also. I was told the cabbage family isn't so good, nor is popcorn. Kat, sorry you're not feeling great, but I think you're right about the benefits of fluids, soups and broths. Dr. Oz put out a smoothie recipe that is very filling. I use regular milk, fresh berries and add spinach. :chef:

2 tbsp protein powder 2 tbsp ground flaxseeds 1/2 cup frozen berries 1/2 banana

1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk

People ask me what my secret is to staying thin. I respond, I chew my food and take my time eating. My husband and I eat the same food. He eats in 3 minutes and swallows everything whole and is 80 lbs overweight. I chew on average 40 chews per bite and take 20 minutes to eat my dinner. I am 5'8 and weigh 120 lbs. By chewing my food my body absorbs all the nutrients. We only eat fresh food; nothing packaged.

• Like 2

Thanks Sable. I think you have something important there in eating slowly. A simple concept, but important in weightloss.

Just to summarize some of the ideas people have written to aid in weightloss,

1. Eat fresh foods, fruits and vegetables. Try and cut down or cut out processed foods. (my daughter has done this and feels much healthier, less fatigued)

2. Eat slowly, let your food digest.

3. Have some easy and satisfying recipes to choose from. Plan your meals from them.

4. If okay by your doctor, up your exercise.

Besides upping the exercise, this week I'm going to go to bed earlier. My sleep habits are terrible and I don't get enough sleep.

I think little by little, things can get better. I'm not going to take on too much and get discouraged and give up.

• Like 1

Okay, this sounds interesting, and I need some motivation and help in this area. Most of my friends are on some sort of diet (however loose their restrictions may be), so I feel I should do something health conscious as well.

Do we report our goals? If so, mine would be to lose 5 lbs. in let's say two months (by June). If I succeed, I will reevaluate my goals and take it from there. If I don't succeed, well then maybe this forum will help determine what I need to do different. I will weigh myself tomorrow.

I hate formal or "organized" exercise, such as going to classes or to the gym, as that sounds like work to me, and not fun. However, I love walking, so hopefully now that the weather is getting warmer, I can incorporate a daily walk (or at least a five times a week walk). My biggest challange won't be fitting exercise in my daily routine, however, it will be refraining from the temptations of ice cream. :teary: That might be a problem. :icecream:

Thanks for this suggestion, Joane, and don't feel bad about Weight Watchers. I dropped out too, and so did several others from my workplace who joined with me.

• Like 1

Oh,I looove spinach,so that part won't be hard to do! But for me a smoothie is usually just a plain banana and/or any other fruit I have in a blender,with some lemon juice,of course! :) I have added gelled flavored gelatin (sugar free or regular) to it and it makes a great fluffy refreshing treat that is better to me than pies or cakes-which I do not make,buy,or keep in my house anyway. I think I need to watch my salt-but we eat lean meats,and I don't make/eat gravies,etc. I don't make breads,but I am a sandwich fiend at times...Wow,this is good,to be taking a better look at myself!

Ed.: Yes,Joane,they say we can lose weight better just by sleeping more-I know that's one of my fails,because I can't sleep much at night,and can't take anything to help when I have to work the next day...Like Maureen,I want to start walking regularly,as the weather is getting warmer,so maybe that will help me sleep better. I also think 5 pounds in 2 months is a good start. I'll have to weigh myself at work this week.

Edited by kat57

Besides upping the exercise, this week I'm going to go to bed earlier. My sleep habits are terrible and I don't get enough sleep.

I think little by little, things can get better. I'm not going to take on too much and get discouraged and give up.

My feelings exactly, Joane. Little by little it can get better.

I tried MyFItnessPal and ended up deleting my account. It's a great site if you want to use their calorie counter, because most of the foods are already added in there. But I made a post there and tried to document what would be my problems in losing weight (on foodstamps, little money, can't exercise because of physical pain, had a stroke, and that I was a picky eater - I have a very hard time eating foods I don't like) and I got a ton of snarky replies back. I was told those things were my excuses for not losing weight. So while I would go back there and use the site, I would never post there expecting any support.

Otherwise, I would love to participate in a weight loss thread here.

• Like 2