Interest In Weightloss Support Topic Here?

Minis Over The Hill

Joane I am very sorry to hear about your pain and I hope they find a relieve. I know they do it here with laser now and people who had it done are very happy with the results. So as I understood everybody has healthcare now (Obamacare I think its called) you might be able to look into that. Just a thought.

Maureen your right about me having to be on top of it. They are so scadder brained and I have the feeling they just dont care about us people that there are alot that want to go back to work and not live of welfare or something like that, It has been so agrevating fighting with them that I did not even feel like writing anything. Like my mother said if you have nothing nice to say just shut up. lol

I am sorry I did not really follow everything here I been in my own world even though I stayed on track. Yesterday I went on the scale and after 4 weeks I finally lost 2 more pounds. Yesterday it did not excite me much but today is a better day and yes I am happy. I think the chnge of life is really kicking me in the rear with cold hot flashes mood swings and just being an unhappy camper and of course not being able to start my school really got to me I think. I been working on my BH and almost got the roof on it. My husband is doing really well now I guess he got a little used to it and I hope he is being honest to himself at work too and just eats the lunch I made him and dont get nothing from the snack wagon that comes there every day. But he is old enough to know whats right and what is not. Today I am graving my drug really badly so I am gonna gte moving on my Richard and even though we have terrible weather I will get on the bike I just want to get through the day without giving in.

I wish everybody a great and day. Take good care of yourselfs.

Me too, Anja! I've been such a lazy bum/couch potato this winter and excusing myself because of my pain. I really need to just DO something in spite of it. You are an inspiration. Thanks.

• Like 1

Thank you so very much ladies and you all inspire me too. We all have weakness but to admit to it and still get back on track that is the best we can do. So thank you all here.

P.S. I am over the graving thank goodness. :bigwink:

Today was a better day for me as far as cravings are concerned. The gelati I had yesterday really hit the spot, and it is nice to know I can have treats like that one day without giving into temptation the rest of the week. I haven't been walking because of the weather, but that will pass.

Anja, if it is any consolation, I am still very agitated about your school delay. Sometimes writing can be very therapuetic, and other times, we just have to give ourselves a day of rest to calm down when things beyond our control don't go as planned. It sounds like you are turning your frustration into productivity on your Beacon Hill, so everything will work out because you will make it work.

Me too, Anja! I've been such a lazy bum/couch potato this winter and excusing myself because of my pain. I really need to just DO something in spite of it. You are an inspiration. Thanks.

This has been a tough winter for most of us, as I think it has been exceptionally cold and snowy all over. Throughout it all, both you and Anja have been inspirational to me.

Anja, sounds like you may have hit a plateau with the weightloss. I've heard people talk about that, just keep at it. My Dr cut down my thyroid meds and I've gained four pounds and am tired all the time. I asked if he would do some specific blood tests recommended in the Fast Metabolism Diet and he said he couldn't justify it with the insurance company. It gets discouraging.

Maureen I am happy to read that you find your peace with how to stop the craving for the rest of the week. I know this messy weather makes me not to ride my bike like I want too eighter I only wrote it 3 times this week and yesterday with the heavy winds I only did ride 10 km. I think that is so sweet that you feel upset about my schooling also but I did not want that at all. I think I am over my self pitty party and like you said I will turn it into something produktiv.

With the heavy snow most of you all had I can totally understand not being motivated and than if you have alot of pain thats a reason to not exercise eighter. Selkie dont beat yourself up and trust me when your ready you will find a way to do something that does not hurt or hurt so much and maybe you will enjoy it. Sounds wierd but after all this years I am a dancing fool with my Richard and actually the music gets on my nerves cause I only have one video but I want to hear him say you do great, you can do it, I love you and all that stuff. Plus when I am done I feel like a million bucks cause I did it and I have to admit I have that when I also wrote the bike but this I can do no matter how the weather is and on the bike I have nobody motivate me but me and I am not very good at it. lol

Joane yes I did hit a plateau but I hope it is over now. I know my weightloss is so much smaller than in the beginingbut 4 weeks before I have seen a change I have to admit was a little discouraging. But since this diet thing is not just for till I loose the weight I want but a new lifestyle (otherwise I have that weight back ASAP) I think I am on my way to a better health and feeling better all around so I fight ( I mean really fight) being frustrated and going back to old habbits. Yesterday till in the afternoon was such a day and I know there be more to come but I am not giving in cause this past 4 month I worked hard on my new lifestyle more than I ever did in my life and I like being a fighter nope I dont like it I love it. I am very sorry to hear that the health insurance does not pay certain things but they startet doing that over here too which is frustrating. I hope there will be another solution that you doctor can find for you.

I just want to tell you all I am very glad to have all of you and you being so supportive to me just really makes me feel fantastic. I am so glad to be a part of this group and I am so happy that everybody is talking about their feelings, about the struggle their ups and downs and nobody here is judging them in a negativ way. You all are an insperation to me and to each other. So thank you all very much for your support!

I wish everybody a wonderful day. Dont give up cause you are worth it. Thanks again!!!!

• Like 1

Anja, Riding 10k in a strong headwind burns many more calories than riding even 50k with no wind. When we first begin to lose weight it's mostly excess water, which we lose quickly. The weight we lose actually burning fat is a much slower process, as we are resetting our body's metabolic thermostat.

• Like 2

Forgive me Anja, but I had to laugh when you said the music gets on your nerves because you have only one Richard tape. I can certainly understand, however, why his words of encouragement would outshine any background music and serve as positive motivation; but I also think you have a lot of personal motivation that serves us all well.

Joane, if your weight gain or sluggishness continues, I would keep bothering your doctor. I don't fully buy the insurance line, as I think he can come up with something. My insurance wouldn't pay for a brand name drug because a generic brand was available. The generic didn't work well for me in the past, so my doctor's office appealed the decision on my behalf, and the drug is now approved for the next 20 years. - So I wouldn't just assume this is a "no."

• Like 3

I just joined Weight Watchers this morning. They have a new Simple Start program, no weighing, no food logs.

Good for you Joane. The new program sounds intersting.

• Like 1

I lost over fifty pounds by the time my Graves Disease had reached its peak and I got treatment (radio-active iodine). Its been a year and a half and I've maintained the weight loss. My endocrinologist is very proud of me. I changed my eating habits. I only graze four or five times a day. I'm so used to it that I never feel hungry. Today I had a spinach and hard-boiled egg salad (no dressing). I only eat a small portion and am stuffed for hours. I do drink a lot of water and coffee. While I'm not a tea drinker, I've changed that and Ray makes us a pot of tea that we enjoy when we watch the 6 O'Clock News. I also eat two metamucil cookies with the tea. I need the metamucil as, because my thyroid can speed up at times, everything speeds up and food goes right through me. The metamucil bars help and are very filling.

Ray has also taken to eating how I do (mostly raw foods and whole grains). While he eats a good deal more than I do, he's lost weight and feels much better for it. We also get out for walks as often as we can. Recently we had blood tests and physicals (I'll have to have frequent blood tests for the rest of my life), and we both had low-normal blood pressure, low-normal blood sugar readings, and my thyroid readings were in the normal range.

• Like 1

Holly I am glad you said that with the more calories burning with headwind cause I felt like I am whimpy. Yesterday I did read that around there where I rode the bike the winds took out several trees so I do believe with the wind still going on I be not biking till its over. I also know that the water lost in the beginning is very high which is alot of weight and I think everybody knows there be a time for a plateau but when it happens it still kind of leaves disapointment for the efford but than again I am proud now cause 25 Kilo 55,1 lbs is pretty good for me.

Maureen you may laugh cause it is very funny especially since disco is so totally not my kind of music. I am a classic rock kind of a girl. lol There is more options to get other ones from Richard Simmons like sweating to the oldies and a few others and I tried a few but this very one does not make my knie hurt and that is very important cause I do not want to take the pain medication if I dont really have too plus I want to exercise every day. Since thursday we have stormwarnings of course dummy me just went out there without watching the news so I am glad I survived my bikeride. This makes me and my husband laugh cause he teases me that sport can kill you. lol

Joane great for you. I dont know if we have the new weight watchers here but I know alot of people who did weight watchers and it worked very well for them so I hope you feel comfortable with them and you reach your goal.

Susanne way to go I think it is fantastic that you turned your life around and doing well with it. Of course your doctor is proud of you that is a reason to be proud of. It is also awesome that Ray is doing it with you because I believe it does help and we want our loved ones to be healthy too. Dirk just startet with me and I hope he sticks to his guns because I do believe he is not really happy the way it is right now. We will see I just can speak for myself I will stick to it cause I already feel better.

Maureen this is crazy that you had to fight for your medication cause you did not have the righjt insurance but I am glad your doctor fought for you because some generics dont do the same and for years they even said this is only a head thing which they now found out is not!!! Like you told Joane too dont take a no I mean there is a reason you need medication or tests or operations and I think its awful for them to say your insurance does not cover that. Like I said before they cut us alot of things but medications they are not alow to mess with and getting tests done which you feel is important to you they will do. I dont think that anybody should get second hand treatment cause of insurance issues.

I made tons of food yesterday for my in laws cause my mother in law is having surgery on wendsday but she is going in the hospital on tuesday already. So yesterday I was in the kitchen making Schnitzel, rouladen and stuff like that. Lets just say typical german food but they can freeze it and just take out what they need or better said what my father in law needs. It was a suprise she did not know I am coming over. I made her cry which I know she did because she was touched and not because she dont like my food. lol It was never hard when I cooked for Dirk not trying if it tastes ok cause I never did taste it and he never complained. Even though my in laws are no strangers it was extremly hard not to try the food cause making sure it tastes right is more important ( in my mind) for others than for my DH. But I was brave and did not do it. I did invite them over for Mothersday but she is really scared and just does not want to be around anybody so I just brought her her Mothersday gifts as well. It was just the first time since I been doing this diet change that I did not have my off day and did not want to take my off day eighter to taste if everything is ok. Now since Dirk is with me on the diet I dont even think I need a off day actually exept when we are invited or something like that. Anyways a new experience but I made it through it being a good girl.

I wish you all a wonderful day and should we not read eachother I wish everybody a very Happy Motherday. Keep going ladies your doing great!

Anja, when cooking for others, you can do the taste and spit routine. That is to say you taste a small sample only on the tongue and then spit it out and no swallowing = no calories. Then you are sure your seasoning is correct. Just a thought.

• Like 2

My mother and I have been out running errands and such together 3 times in the last week or so. Every time we have stopped at a McDonald's for lunch. We each get a Filet-o-Fish and share a medium fry. I know it's bad,but we both used to eat more,such as she would get the apple pie turnovers and ice cream,and I'd get a cheeseburger,shake and large fries. So,even on my 'fast food',I am making an effort! :)

I have steadily increased my water intake and am enjoying it more now. I still can't get myself going on a regular exercise or walking routine,but I have been doing a lot of yard clean up the last couple of weeks. I don't know what size this yard is-I rent-but it's much bigger than my old yard and there are at least 30 oaks on the immediate property,as well as woods/wooded areas on 3 sides. That means lots of leaf and twig clean up,etc. Also,lots of calorie burning- :D. Now that I am seeing a difference in the yard,I am enjoying the work and can stay at it longer. The best up side is that today I put on a pair of jeans that were impossible to fasten not too long ago. While they aren't baggy,they do fit now! Yay!LOL

• Like 2

Kat, congratulations on reining in your fast food consumption!

Check out this chart of McD's foods arranged by calorie count. You may be surprised at how many calories there are in a Filet-o-Fish (390). My choice is always the Chipotle BBQ grilled chicken snack wrap (250). It's surprisingly filling, and with a diet Coke makes a good lunch for me. The crispy version adds 100 calories, so it pays to get the grilled version.

The chicken wrap has 8 grams of fat, the fish 19 grams.

Both are high in sodium (salt) -- 670 mg for the chicken wrap, 590 mg for the fish. That's 24-28% of one's daily need for salt.

Carbs are 27 grams for the chicken wrap and 39 grams for the fish (that's a tortilla vs breading & bun).

Most of the fast food restaurants have nutrition information posted on line now. It pays to know what you're going to order before going in and getting bowled over by the lovely smells coming from the open kitchen area.

Whether it's restaurants or grocery shopping, when the nutritional info is available I check for fats, salt & carbs. Sodium content indicates salt, but potassium does, too' and too much of either one isn't good for you.

I'm sorry,ladies,I don't get fast food often anymore-Let me enjoy it!LOL I know,I love the grilled chicken wraps,too,and would get them if it was just me. The calorie count thing is great for those who care to use it and I know you didn't post it just for me. I did look at them posted beside the menu choices at McD's yesterday and yeah,it's pretty shocking!

But the Filet-O-Fish share is kind of a 'thing' for Mom and me-good memories and all that! And right now they have a deal where you buy the meal and get another sandwich for $1,and my mother wanted to 'treat' me on the first of the 3 outings,and that's what she could afford and can chew with her bad teeth. :)

We don't do this very often,and like I said,we have both improved on how much we get when we go there. When I was skinny,and couldn't ever gain weight(!),I was known to eat a cheeseburger AND a Fishburger at one sitting,so I have improved my eating habits a lot!

At home I am very good at behaving:I never use the 'traditional' Southern fats (bacon,saltpork,ham,,etc.) to 'season' my foods and I don't cook with salt. We use olive oil. I serve way more vegetables than I do meat,no breads (biscuits,rolls,etc.)unless I make it a sandwich-type meal,and we no longer have pasta. I rarely eat sweets-my homemade cobblers were my weakness,but I cut way back on them for months now. My digestive system cannot tolerate artificial sweeteners-they go right through me,violently so! I'm not endorsing fast food chains,but it was just nice to know I can comparatively 'behave' on a certain level now,even when eating out at them. :)

• Like 1

Congratulations on your weight loss efforts so far, Kat. Right before I started dropping a few pounds, I was indulging on McDonald's Shamrock Shakes. For a long time the McDonald's in my town stopped carrying them, and they were hard to find in my area. I was so upset about that, I called and wrote to McDonald's numerous times, and I took sole credit for the fact that McDonald's bought those shakes back. McDonald's also did a whole new campaign launch for all their milkshakes, but that's besides the point. I know that I really shook them up, so if you like Shamrock Shakes, you have me to thank. :D

Last night I made an ice box cake with the excuse that it is Mother's Day, and my mother likes it. Ice box cake in my house is pudding wedged between layers of grahm crakers. I really enjoyed licking the spoon as I was cleaning the pots.

• Like 2

Good morning ladies!

Apperantly was I not aloud to write here yesterday but I could like things. I have no idea what I did wrong. Anyways......

Kat congratualations on your weight loss I think its so exciting that the pants you couldnt get closed before fit perfectly now. Way to go. I know working in the yard is alot of exercise so you cant really say you dont do a fitness programm because you do plus you enjoy the results from your effort so that is a two way reward at least I see it that way. I do think it is special to have a family tradition and I am glad you got to enjoy your Mc Donalds fish sandwich with your mom. You also drink more water now your doing it and your doing well.

I been looking on those calorie informations on grocerys and stuff too but thats because I really had no idea what calories things have and I am suprised how high calories on (healthy or called diet) food really are. It was never an issue before this year cause I thought if there is the name light on it it is healthy. But I also believe when I go to a place to eat out I do not care about those calories and take the risk of gaining some weight. I said this before I do not go out alot but when I do I will eat what I would not eat at home with no regrets. But thats just me.

Maureen I do really understand you licking those spoons and I think its great you made your mom a cake for mothersday I bet that made her very happy.

Selkie it is a great idea I will do it next time like that but even by not trying it my in laws loved what I made so far so puh lucky me. lol

I hope everybody had a great mothersday if you have children, fur babies or even your DH kids. I enjoyed mine and I even had a glass of wine last night. I have to admit I felt but I did enjoy it. I am really upset with our weather it has been stormy and rainy since thursday and no relieve in sight so I am not biking at all. I hope it changes soon.

I wish you all a great start in the new week. Take good care of yourselfs.

Anja, here is my take on calories. You need to have an idea of what foods have high and low calories, and you should read the packages, because many times you would be surprised when something you think will be high in caloric value isn't that bad, yet sometimes foods you think will be low will be high. However, if you have to read and weigh out every piece of nutritional information everytime you buy a packagae of something or go out to eat, then you can drive yourself crazy. Sometimes you just have to eat sensibly while still treating yourself to certain foods and not worry about it.

I believe our bodies work better when we act sensibly. Please keep in mind that I am not a nutritionist so technically my logic may be off, but I feel a variety of foods with some fluctuations in eating patterns is good both physically and mentally, and that over time, our weight and health habits balance out.

I also believe that if we eat a very low amount of calories every day, like let's say 1,000, then after a period of time our metabolism slows down, unless of course we keep increasing our daily exercise routine. But if we eat maybe 1,500 calories after a thousand calorie day, we may be better off, as long as we don't abandon our common sense and good health habits completely.

Maureen, it's OK to take a nutrition class or to get with a nutritionist, to find out how your individual body reacts to combinations of certain nutrients and how much of what is too much for YOU. You won't go crazy reading those lables; they're there to give you information to make educated choices. What our ARNP in Tallahassee told us is that if it comes in a can or a box it's probably better to avoid it.

Some basic info you learn from regular label reading: preservatives contain unholy amounts of salts and a lot of the prepackaged foods' flavoring ingredients tend to be heavy on the salts, carbs and fats. We buy mostly fresh or frozen basic foods at the regular or whole foods grocery stores and hit the Asian grocery stores for rice and spices.

• Like 1

Maureen, it's OK to take a nutrition class or to get with a nutritionist, to find out how your individual body reacts to combinations of certain nutrients and how much of what is too much for YOU. You won't go crazy reading those lables; they're there to give you information to make educated choices. What our ARNP in Tallahassee told us is that if it comes in a can or a box it's probably better to avoid it.

Some basic info you learn from regular label reading: preservatives contain unholy amounts of salts and a lot of the prepackaged foods' flavoring ingredients tend to be heavy on the salts, carbs and fats. We buy mostly fresh or frozen basic foods at the regular or whole foods grocery stores and hit the Asian grocery stores for rice and spices.

I took a nutrition class in college years ago, and it was very interesting - and I might add, it wasn't an easy course. I did very well in class, but when you are in the real world, it is often difficult to eat things that are 100% healthy. I know that if a product is low in one thing it might be high in something else, which is why I love the quote, "If it comes in a can or box it's probably better to avoid it." Unfortunately it is hard to avoid everything that may be not so good for you, even with an educated decision.

One thing I learned from reading labels is to always check the serving size. The other day I was looking at a package of blueberry muffins that were 200 calories per serving, and I was surprised to read the box contained 7.5 servings. I thought that was very deceiving since there were only 6 muffins in the box, and while it stated one serving was 2 oz., it would be natural for many of us to think that one muffin equals one serving.

So, in order to figure out how many calories there really were in one muffin, I had to multiply 7.5 x 200 to get the total number of calories per box and then divide that number by 6. I came up with 1500 calories, making it 250 calories per muffin. I was a bit annoyed that it didn't read 250 calories per serving with 6 servings per box, so I purposely didn't eat the muffin because I didn't want to be fooled by the manufacturers or taken down by an innocent looking muffin.

Now that I think of it, all the other labeling per muffin was off too, and that could be really bad for someone trying to watch his/her sugar or salt intake. So, no matter which nutritional information you are most concerned with, always check the serving size.