recently inherited house...HOFCO? Americana?

julierh05

I recently inherited my grandmothers collection. I have what seems to be a Hofco Americana house...? I know it's a hofco but think it's Americana. I am sooooo lost on what to price this house and the WHOLE huge amount of stuff that was sent over with it. It is getting slowly ruined in my garage and I desperately want a new home for it where it can be loved and cherished but not sure what to advertise it as or how much. ANY TIPS are hugely accepted- THANK YOU GUYS! Glad I found this website!

Here are my pictures... I just created a random craiglist post today to see if I could get any interest out of it

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/clt/4399589838.html

Julie

That absolutely is the Americana House by Hofco.

I don't know what to tell you about price.

The original kits, when they sold in the 80s and early 90s, were $500 to $700 kits and assembled by the company, they went for $800. I've seen kits of these houses go for $400 and more when put on eBay in the last couple years. And yours has the windows, doors and siding put on, plus the furniture. But at the same time, the lady I bought my Americana house from had had it advertised on Craig's List first at $140, then at $130, and finally I made her an offer and got it at $100. Mine was just a put together shell when I got it.

One of the things you might do is take some VERY good pictures (front and back) of your house and upload them to eBay and say local pickup only. Make sure you have a good description of the house, the measurements (and be SURE to mention how wide that porch is - I believe it's the widest porch on any house in the industry), and even measurements of some of the rooms, as well as how many rooms it has. Make sure to advertise it as 1/12 scale, or 1" to 1'.

You might also want to check with any dollhouse shops in your area, if you have any, to see if they would make you an offer on it. It might not be much, but even a little is better than nothing. Also put up pictures of it on community bulletin boards in laundromats and meeting halls, if there are any. You might even want to mention it as a Christmas present.

Good luck and I hope it finds a home. I am remodeling mine and I just love it. Have you thought about keeping yours? Mine is going to be a Victorian farmhouse, with a kitchen, laundry room (added on), dining room, entry hall, living room, piano room, sun room (added on), two bedrooms, two and a half baths, library, office, and two room attic, plus two more center halls. I know it's a large house, but I rent a room which is 9 x 12 and I have a bed, bookcases, and a sofa in there, and I still think I can squeeze my house in (we figured it will be 6 feet when done). Just a thought!

• Like 2

Sorry you aren't going to keep it. It would look fabulous in a window. Sorry I can't help with pricing either. I know kits usually sell for more than assembled houses unless it is done by a 'known' builder. Rodentraiser gave you some great suggestions. Take the furniture out and photo it. Put it on a draped sheet or something so all you see is the furniture and not all the stuff in the background.

What a beautiful house. This is to me the dollhouse "dream house" and i have one (also in the garage). I'm afraid that i've seen these houses on craigslist for some time and the price tends to drop. the one i purchased i watched on craigslist for a long time thinking i just didnt have time to build it and once it got down to $200 i purchased it. I think it had been listed for 6 months.

I agree with the recommendation above - take great pictures and post on ebay. You may also consider splitting up the accessories and selling them separately but that can take a lot of time.

I will also post you link, if you have not already, in the post we have specifically for craigslist sales.

Good luck. She is pretty!!

Personally, I think the house and furniture are worth the price, and if it is exactly what someone is looking for, that person may be willing to pay it or negotiate. Ideally, that is the person you are looking for since you want it to go to a good home. However, that person may not come along or may not be able to pick it up, etc. Therefore, if you want it to sell, you may eventually have to come down on the price.

I like all of Kelly's suggestions, including the idea of keeping it. If you really want to sell it, however, you might want to list the price you have and add "or best offer." That way if someone is really interested but thinks the price is a bit too high, you may be able to work something out. Hopefully you and the buyer will both feel like you got a good deal.

Good luck Julie, and Kelly, I am so excited about the plans you have for your house. I can't wait to see pictures.

Valerie, I cannot believe the eBay house didn't sell and that the Craig's list one is still out there. If I didn't have a dollhouse, let alone two, I would have considered the eBay house, as the one on Craig's list is in Massachusettes and I believe would require pick-up. I wish I could see better shots of the interior of this house.

Valerie, I cannot believe the eBay house didn't sell and that the Craig's list one is still out there. If I didn't have a dollhouse, let alone two, I would have considered the eBay house, as the one on Craig's list is in Massachusettes and I believe would require pick-up. I wish I could see better shots of the interior of this house.

The one on craigslist was built many years ago by Lynlott's in Pittsburgh that was where I first saw it on their Facebook page but they do not have interior pics of it. They recently came across another one still in the box and are currently building that one. Can't wait to see what they do with it.

Valerie

You might want to contact some local miniature stores and ask if they'd like to buy it off you or have suggestions. Maybe they could sell on consignment? The two that come to mind are Elegant Dollhouse in Sacramento, and Peg's Dollhouse in Santa Rosa. I'm pretty sure Peg buys estates.

There are also some local shows where you could rent a table to sell off the stuff. Elegant Dollhouse has a parking lot sale in May (http://sacramento-dollhouse-shop.com), Dollhouses Trains and More in Novato over the summer (http://www.dollhousestrainsandmore.com - you might have to call them for details, but I saw a sign in the store saying it'll be last weekend of August), and the CHAMPS show in El Cerrito in September (http://champsshow.com). But that would take some work on your part and no guarantee you'd end up selling it all.

Good luck!

Oh, that reminds me. Good Sam has their show in San Jose (I guess it's not called Good Sam anymore though) and if you want the hassle, you may be able to put your house on display there with a for sale sign.

That ad on Craig's List about layaway also had me thinking. You could put the house on time payments. People in the model horse world do that on a regular basis, since some of those hand painted resins cost hundred of dollars. Usually they ask for a down payment, and then do the rest of the amount over the next 6 months. 1/3 up front (with the down payment), 1/3 at 3 months, and the rest at the end of 6 months. They don't give over possession of the horse until it's paid up. You should probably think of writing up a simple contract if you do that.

Good luck Julie, and Kelly, I am so excited about the plans you have for your house. I can't wait to see pictures.

OMG, I am laughing so hard because since last night I have changed my mind AGAIN about what rooms are going where in this house. I can't believe I'm doing that! I've done this so often, I was actually afraid to tell Lisa (Lisa_F) because she's been through so much of that with me and I'm driving her nuts!. I'm thining of making the library into another bedroom and the office into a bathroom and dropping the piano room for a library now. That will give me 3 bedrooms and 3 1/2 baths. I need a reality check!

And I should be coming up with some pictures after Sunday. I think at that time, we're putting the windows into the shell and snapping it.

Kelly, you are not driving me crazy at all, but rather you are adding to my enthusiasm. There is often excitement in anticipating the unknown, especially when there are so many possibilities. Please continue to share your ideas, even if you do change them tomorrow. - And yes, please post pictures when you are ready. I have to see this house!