My stick-built miniature manor home

DaveD1052

Here is a stick-built miniature manor home that I started back in the 80's in 'a previous life' (i.e. with wife1). It has been stored in knocked-down fashion for over 30 years. I retired this year and plan to finally resume work on it. I'm going to totally modify the original plan so that the thing will be a manageable size. I'm showing just 2 rooms that were completed, for now. More to come later in a gallery. The chandeliers were jointly made by Wife1 and I.

post-60145-0-85781400-1396322605_thumb.j

post-60145-0-86551200-1396322661_thumb.j

post-60145-0-38470800-1396322691_thumb.j

• Like 6

Stick built means the walls are hollow and use miniature framing inside the walls just like a real house is built!

Stick-built definition, built piece-by-piece at the construction site, as opposed to factory-built.

• Like 3

David, :welcome: to the forum. Your house is beautiful. We have a couple of stick builders here -- Jeremy (Pdlnpeabody -- see his albums here) and Peter (Gillman -- see his album here). I think there is at least one more, but I'm having a senior moment.

It will be fun to watch your house take shape.

One of our other stick-builders is Ron in Dunnellon, FL (rojam, Ron's Dollhouses). David, your house looks gorgeous so far!

I hope you'll take time to post an intro for us all in the Newcomers' Forum.

Very beautiful. Welcome to the GL family. When you have made 5 posts you can start an album. Eye candy junkes that we are, of course, we encourage everyone to do that. But seriously, it does help to inspire others, keep good records of the who, what, when, where and why of what you are building. Can't wait to see more.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your compliments and messages!

This is truly my first big-time miniature experience so it fits in this "My first Dollhouse" subgroup.

Wife1 did the design work, carpets, chandeliers, fireplaces, furniture and draperies. I did essentially everything else.

I need to set up shop and unpack all of the stuff you see in the pictures. All of the walls, floors and ceilings are currently stacked up flat in 4 large boxes that have been schlepped unopened from Minnesota, Pennsylvania, and now Georgia.

Here is a picture of a third room that was completed way back in time.

"Goldurnit, it ain't no dollhouse, it's an assembly of museum quality miniature rooms!"

post-60145-0-52012000-1396388509_thumb.j

• Like 1

This was the original floor plan conceived in 1983. It was supposed to have 2 floors and would be the size of 2 desks side by side! NOT practical and a big over-reach! It was Wife1's grand concept. I will be drawing up a much more modest layout that will have 2 rooms on the first floor and 2 on the second. I want to make the exterior something like the other photo here.

post-60145-0-64009900-1396497794_thumb.j

post-60145-0-08907600-1396497872_thumb.j

• Like 4

Welcome to the forum!

Yep, my first scratch-built project (a castle) was too big to finish, so I stopped at the main gate. It always looks good on paper, but once it starts to take shape, the reality of scale sets in. :p

Both of my projects are wood framed. Every project I build will have a 24 inch wide restriction so the houses can fit through a standard interior door. I think that's a size consideration that should go into any dollhouse build.

• Like 3

This is a great project to look forward to, David. I wish I was that talented, but I guess I better stick to my kits.... hahahaha

Shannon-

Thanks for the comment. My then-wife made three chandeliers back in the '80s. I added threaded wiring inside them and added 'grain of wheat' bulbs to light them. They've been packed in boxes and have not been lighted for over 30 years. I hope they still work.

post-60145-0-68898000-1396743890_thumb.j

• Like 3

Shannon-

Thanks for the comment. My then-wife made three chandeliers back in the '80s. I added threaded wiring inside them and added 'grain of wheat' bulbs to light them. They've been packed in boxes and have not been lighted for over 30 years. I hope they still work.

Dave, you made your contribution to the chandeliers sound so easy and natural. I hope they still work too, but I bet you can fix them if they don't. That one chandelier is incredible and gorgeous.

• Like 1