Steampunk My Mini

Deb

Since the topic of steampunk has come up in several threads, I thought I'd start one specifically for the subject so we don't miss anything. Several of us are already into steampunk and I suspect there are others who haven't mentioned their steampunk minis or have yet to discover this most delightful and highly addictive sub-genre to our mini world. Casey and Stacey and I have been talking about the steampunk minis we do and how much fun it is. Casey has Zar, her six inch tall steampunk guru, have been creating all kinds of cool minis on her blog and my imaginary friend is a mini mad scientist named Dr. Thaddeus Robertson so you get an idea of how easy it is to get totally immersed in steampunk creations. Stacey is starting to concoct all kinds of cool things and I think that Lene is also into steampunk. Perhaps we have more? Or perhaps we have some we can convert if we show you how fun and easy it is???

It takes too long to type a description of what steampunk is so we'll let Wikipedia do that for us. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk Basically it's retro-futuristic and/or a combination of Victorian/art nouveau/sci-fi/age of industrialization. It's all very over the top and opulent and luxurious in a way that can make even steam engines look elegant with lots of brass and copper and jewels. There are so many million ways to do steampunk that the only limitation is how far your imagination can go and that's also what makes every steampunk creation so incredibly individual. It translates into miniature so well that it's as if the two were made for each other. It doesn't even require much of a financial investment because the chances are you already have most of the supplies in your dollhouse stash already. (and old clocks, watches, and other gear driven things are cheaply available at second hand stores plus a whole treasure trove of nuts, bolts, and other doo dads at any hardware store for pennies)

My steampunk mini gallery is here along with the back story about Dr. Thaddeus. http://www.debsminis.com/steampunk_miniatures.htm <striking a dramatic pose and raising on hand in the air> I swear that I have only begun to steampunk my minis!! Eventually I'll build a steampunk Vineyard Cottage for Dr. Thaddeus and have Julie Campbell create the doll for me (who will probably be based on a photo of my not-so-mad scientist father).

I'll let Casey and Stacey show you their steampunk creations and tell about their love of the genre in mini. Hopefully others will join in with their work or ideas or thoughts about exploring a new addiction.

As with any other type of mini, we get a lot of inspiration from real life steampunkers.........and just like any other item, if it can be made in real life, we can do it in miniature! So I'm gonna start off the inspiration pics with this one of a steampunk tricycle. Of all the people on the face of the earth, can you imagine anyone else who could rock this ride any better than our own Holly?

post-329-0-64937000-1396456790_thumb.jpg

Hey Holly!!! Can we come to your house and trick out your trike?

Deb

• Like 5

I'm a steampunk lover. Haven't brought it into mini's yet but one of these days...

Yay!! Another steampunk lover! Don't worry Morgan, we'll enable you, er, I mean *encourage* you so much that you'll be steampunking in minis in no time. LOL!!

I can so see Holly tooling down the road on that trike--maybe she can even borrow that steampunk outfit...... :groucho:

Let's ask her! Hey Holly, wanna wear a purple and black striped satin wild west bar wench dress with a can can skirt and a high pickup on the side? It has a black corset and matching garter. Don't worry. We'll find you some purple pantaloons to wear under it when you ride. <using my most tempting tone of voice> I have a black velvet top hat that you can wear with it..........

Deb <ducking and running>

• Like 4

I love steampunk too, but so far I haven't done anything in mini. I keep trying, but each piece I start as steampunk some how ends up witchy. I get one piece of black lace and my muse takes a right turn and I loose control of it and poof its all potions and magic wands. I will keep trying.

• Like 2

...attachicon.gifsteampunk bike.jpg

Hey Holly!!! Can we come to your house and trick out your trike? ...

Oh, wouldn't that be uber cool!?

...Hey Holly, wanna wear a purple and black striped satin wild west bar wench dress with a can can skirt and a high pickup on the side? It has a black corset and matching garter. Don't worry. We'll find you some purple pantaloons to wear under it when you ride. <using my most tempting tone of voice> I have a black velvet top hat that you can wear with it..........

With all due respect, I doubt I'd fit into it, although even if I could, the cancan skirt would get caught in the sprockets when I have to shift gears. Now if we could figure how to attach the top hat to my helmet... Maybe a velvet knicker suit...

• Like 1

I have plans for a future steampunk build. I almost did the White Rose as a steampunk house, but it had other ideas. I think a Rosedale would be a great base for one though :)

Oh, the Rosedale would be sooooooooooo perfect for steampunk. The mansard roof has that over the top tone so longed for in steampunk. I hope that it won't be long before you do a steampunk build. Do you think it'll be the Rosedale when you do?

I love steampunk too, but so far I haven't done anything in mini. I keep trying, but each piece I start as steampunk some how ends up witchy. I get one piece of black lace and my muse takes a right turn and I loose control of it and poof its all potions and magic wands. I will keep trying.

Terri, I'm so glad you said that because as soon as you did, I went searching for Jodi and Richard Creager's steampunk witch (which may be my all time favorite steampunk mini). When I did a search for the image, imagine my surprise when it turned up an issue of the Greenleaf Gazette. No, seriously, I was more shocked than surprised because I'd totally forgotten that I ever wrote an article on steampunk for the newsletter. (This is what happens with a broken brain and why I'm so glad to be of like minded people who bring me back to earth.) I'd also forgotten that Linda does steampunk and there are several pictures of her work in that issue too, so instead of posting a pic of the Creager's witch, I'll put in the link for the whole article so y'all can see Linda's steampunk minis too. http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/dollhouse_news/JUN2011/steampunk.html

Don't give up on steampunking Terri! Your witchy stuff will find a way of marrying itself to mini at the right time and you'll love what happens next.

With all due respect, I doubt I'd fit into it, although even if I could, the cancan skirt would get caught in the sprockets when I have to shift gears. Now if we could figure how to attach the top hat to my helmet... Maybe a velvet knicker suit

<chuckling> I knew you'd like that trike Holly. Isn't it just the coolest thing on three wheels? I think a velvet knicker suit with a top hat would be perfect for riding!

Brae, I love it!! It really is kinda like that and ............<pausing to look at the link you just posted> OMG. My jaw just hit the floor because that ensemble is gorgeous! And so are you!! All I can say is Wow. And then "wow" a lot more. You look amazing and that's a drop dead outfit.

Deb

Brae, I love it!! It really is kinda like that and ............<pausing to look at the link you just posted> OMG. My jaw just hit the floor because that ensemble is gorgeous! And so are you!! All I can say is Wow. And then "wow" a lot more. You look amazing and that's a drop dead outfit.

Just in case you didn't read the whole article, Brae made it herself. She is an incredibly gifted seamstress and designer. Click through her Sewing blog and you'll have your socks blown off.

I love steampunk too but have never got a vibe for creating it in mini - yet ....

• Like 5

I should get out more often. LOL! After reading the whole issue of that Gazette I'd forgotten about, I realized that there's a tutorial for a way cool telescope by Chris Shae that can be steampunked http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/dollhouse_news/JUN2011/miniature-telescope.html and that I had done a tut for the steampunk icebox (don't remember doing that one either but there it is so I must have) http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/dollhouse_news/JUN2011/dollhouse-ice-box.html

Cool! Two tutorials already and we've only begun.

Oh Selkie dear, if I tell you that steampunk could help you use up all that leftover bucket of bling, would that entice you to try steampunk? <grinning wickedly>

Deb <definitely not at her best today but happy that I'm finding things I forgot because it feels like they're brand new all over again>

Linda has done some really neat steampunk pieces too. Ive never been called to it, but I love seeing everyone elses creativity. I love the collage/mixed media/free spirit vibe of it.

• Like 3

Brae, those houses are to die for! The zipper is definitely a feature to make one's eyes pop because that's just completely unique.

I love the collage/mixed media/free spirit vibe of it.

That may be the very best part. It's as creative as any artistic venture I've ever taken on before and the endless possibilities keep me from becoming bored. I don't think I'll ever reach the end of my ideas.

Somebody help me remember...........who did the Jules Verne time machine in mini? I thought it was someone here but I might be wrong.

Deb

Somebody help me remember...........who did the Jules Verne time machine in mini? I thought it was someone here but I might be wrong.

Okay, after some searching I discovered that we had two members building time machines.........Monica (the Haunted) and Chris (what2craftnow) but I'm not finding the pics in the 4 year old thread anymore and can't seem to locate them in the galleries either. Oh Monica and Chris, come out to play!

Deb

And I thought steampunk had something to do with a hot iron, like those hot pressers that steam on transfers to tee-shirts. :dunce:

So Deb, thanks for the Wikipedia link. Also, thanks for the link to your steampunk mini gallery. You are definitely a multi-talented person, and Dr. Thaddeus doesn't do too bad for himself either. :)

I have always loved steampunk style, I only dabbled in it a bit for fun jewelry stuff but I would love to do a steampunk roombox!

I also love Automatons..I have drawn up a design for a automaton display..let see what one I get to first *lol*

Steam punkery stuff:

post-15596-0-08118100-1396473622_thumb.j

post-15596-0-46110600-1396473764_thumb.j

Ps Brae is a hot chick...VAVAVAVOOOOOMMMM

• Like 1

All sorts of great links ! And Brae your sewing blog is awesome. :)

I'm trying to decide between the Aster and the Vineyard cottage for my steampunk build, both would work. Just not sure which one. :D

• Like 1

I posted these in the other thread, they are obviously my favorites. I am hoping I did not throw out the dozen old watches I found in my closet a while ago. I don't remember if I put them back or tossed them. I have lots of ideas for a steampunk house. I just have to choose a house.

post-1142-0-86040700-1396480804_thumb.jp

post-1142-0-75639000-1396480830_thumb.jp

• Like 1