Metal work....The easy way

Caseymini

A couple of days ago, I saw someone on you tube doing jewelry, by putting a piece of metal waterproofing tape over a wood shape and then working into it with stylus and other tools. I grabbed a roll at Walmart yesterday morning and played with it when I got home. It works! You can make panels, rivets and other textures in it. I see all kinds of uses for it. Especially with Steampunk. Besides, it is fun to play with! I have used copper foil tape before, but that can get expensive. This was 8.00 for a large roll. post-2873-0-73081700-1396624953_thumb.jp

• Like 10

Holly, that was just. A sample board. Let them squabble. It will keep them busy for a while! LOL

Clever Casey! Keep the Terrible Two focussed on each other so they don't notice while Mama Casey works her own magic...

That's cool. What section of the store is it in? By the duct tape,etc?

I'd like to make a pie safe, looks like this would work for that. Or tin ceilings...or aluminum looking counters or table tops...thanks so much for sharing :)

• Like 1

Christine, how did you do it? I don't seem to be able to do it on my iPad. The emoticons.

Be aware that this stuff dents easily, so you probably won't be able to use it for smooth surfaces.

Yes, by the duct tape in Walmart.

Oh, this is cool. I have a little pie safe that I like but the tin inserts are a bit ordinary and I've always wanted to customize it. That'll make an excellent first project with this tape. I added it to my walmart-list and will pick some up this weekend. Thank you (and Zar and Tessie) for sharing it with us because it has sooooooo much potential. I'd love to see a pressed tin ceiling made with it.

Deb

• Like 2

Depending on the individual store, you might also try looking in the plumbing and heating departments. That's where I found the waterproof Duck tape in my area. It's also found at automotive shops.

Me: "Hi, I'm looking for the waterproof tape?"

Walmart employee: "I've never heard of that, but if you tell me what you're using it for that might help us find it."

Me: " I'm using it to make a pie safe and a tin ceiling. "

• Like 6

Karin, that's why I go into Walmart and make friends with everyone I can. I have been going to our Walmart for more than twenty years. I know a lot of the employees by name and they know mine. A lot of them know that I am a miniaturist and have even gone to the local miniature show. Some have only seen photos. A couple of times I have even taken in small projects to show.

They wouldn't bat an eye if I asked for waterproof tape. They would just ask what I was working on and try to find it for me. I have even had a couple of them bring in bits that they think I might be able to use. It pays to make friends with the sales people wherever you go.

• Like 3

Me: "Hi, I'm looking for the waterproof tape?"

Walmart employee: "I've never heard of that, but if you tell me what you're using it for that might help us find it."

Me: " I'm using it to make a pie safe and a tin ceiling. "

:roflmao::rofl::roflmao:

Deb

• Like 3