Dollhouse Families

rackey

I am hesitant to put this in writing for fear of sounding strange, but since some of you may have come to that conclusion about me anyway, I might as well admit that I think I am getting too attached to my dollhouse family. I have four little girl dolls living with their grandparents, and it has gotten to the point where if I buy something for one of the "girls," I feel like I have to buy for all four because you wouldn't favor one child over her siblings.

At the dollhouse show I went to this weekend, I bought three Easter baskets, and I ended up feeling guilty about not buying a fourth one; but they only came with three different color ribbons, and at $4 a basket, I refused to buy two of the same color. So now two of the girls will have to share. However, I did see to it that all of them got their own Mickey Mouse, although one of them is really a Minnie Mouse.

The girls, as well as their grandparents, have their own personalities, and just like a dollhouse sometimes tells its builder what it wants to be like, the family members seem to have lives of their own. Sometimes I wonder if they live through me or if I live through them, but most of the time, I don't think it matters. :)

Now I am wondering if it is like that for anyone else's dollhouse family, and if so, to what extremes do you go to for them?

• Like 5

In the process of telling me their stories the houses tell me who they want to live in them, and after that it's up to the clay to see who emerges. As for what they do or want, they have to tell me.

• Like 2

Now I am wondering if it is like that for anyone else's dollhouse family, and if so, to what extremes do you go to for them?

One of my dolls is having an affair with the guy next door.

• Like 12

Maureen~ You most definitely are not alone. In fact, you are probably much more normal than you think :)

My dollhouses are all different and have families ranging from invisible to animals. One character is still only a head. The houses/buildings all tell their own story, some ongoing for over 40 years. Every Spring Fling is built with great meaning.

Guilt? Yep. I'm guilty of that one. I have builds in progress that are displayed as proudly as finished builds. It's not their fault they aren't finished.

Good luck finding anyone here who will laugh at you :)

• Like 2

I got into dollhouse building since the ABJD's (resin ball jointed dolls) I collect needed a nice house to live in, and a lot of people in that hobby have elaborate back-stories for their dolls and talk/write about their dolls 'feelings'. so to me this is fairly normal :)

my dolls don't have fancy stories or anything, but I do love to buy new toys and props to photograph them with :)

• Like 1

You are 100% normal. We all attribute lifelike qualities, hopes and dreams to our doll's house people. As with so many other things, it's just a question of degree. I made pipe cleaner dolls padded with cotton wool and sewn into 'panty hose' or nylon stocking 'skin' (embroidery thread hair!) as a little girl and here I am again, making dolls with pipe cleaner frames! My childhood dolls had names, personalities, friends, hobbies, etc. as do the dolls I am buying and making as a grown-up.

My Heidi Ott man and woman dolls - gorgeous and fully articulated - will live in the Worthington conversion. They cost a lot of money, but were bargain 'finds' around 50% cheaper than usual.. I doubt I will be buying any more from this maker! They have lovely faces and ear-perfect 'human' proportions.

First I have to give 'her' hair. 'He' already has hair. For my silent screen goddess I will sew gorgeous Bohemian clothes, fake furs, etc. Her handsome heart-throb husband will have a couple of smart Tuxedos, Pringle sweaters, golf clothes, you-name-it! Believe it or not I am looking-out for a 1/12th scale Bugatti or similar motor car to complement this golden couple's lifestyle! The vintage cars I've found so far have been crazy expensive, but I'll find one that suits ere long.

Once I've finally named my silent film stars they will have ex-husbands and ex-wives, ex-lovers, children, outrageous friends, wild parties...

Enjoy the wee world you've created for your doll's house people. It's fun!

• Like 2

I love my little people almost as much as the houses , I have a list of what house will go with each family. I love looking at all the different dolls,the Heidi Ott ones are gorgeous, I'm waiting to find a deal on a couple of them. :) I've been adding to my Erna Meyer collection, I hated the way their hands were made at first, but realized that was part of their charm. I'm working up my nerve to try my hand at making some from clay, my first attempt was awful, but I've been reading up on the subject so hopefully they'll turn better this next time. And you're right Maureen, they all do have their own little personalities. :D

• Like 3

I bought original a woman who would have fit in the house I first thought I am getting but she does not fit into the BH which I know already how I want it to look like even though I am by far not finished. Also she dont fit to the man I got so I think she be the babysitter. lol Over here in Germany we had a magazin starting on the 2nd of january which I subscribed for. There was in each magazin something to build or furniture for the dollhouse. 4 magazines a month would be send. They did send it and the first delivery I really liked the second one was so cheap made and it did not look like in the video. I wanted that house cause it looks a little like my real house. I am so glad I decided different.

Just now the dolls told me that what I wanted them to be in the first place they dont want to be a happy married couple. :D So I am looking for the perfect wife and a little girl for my man. So nope nothing wierd about that feeling. :)

Deb OMG I laughed so hard at your cheating wife. hahahahaha

Here is the video to my original dreamhouse but I am happy it worked out the way it did

• Like 2

I posted somewhere a long time ago about the picadillos of the Petty family, who lived in the Cambridge until the Wee family moved in after Mr Petty put it up for sale after catching his wife with the Samuel L Jackson "Shaft" doll action figure. Since then the Petty family moved back into the Cambridge when it was moved to the home of our across-the-street neighbors' granddaughters and the Wees are homeless (as are the Smalls, since their house was damaged beyond repair in the move to AL).

• Like 4

I've resisted having dolls in my houses, but if I did...I would feel the same way about them I'm sure. I am on the lookout for a doll for my Christmas cottage though, and two children. I'll probably go with Erna Meyer dolls, when we did the traveling doll project I loved the Emma doll we used.

• Like 2

I don't think it's any different than saying our kits or houses "talk" to us.

I don't know if I will always have people living in them but I suspect that more will have them than not.

I build and decorate with visions of the type of people that would like that home.

- My big build - the Garfield Mansion - is to be about our own family history. I have some dolls that I've been slowly collecting for that one as I see one that reminds me of a family member.

- The SF 2009 has only one character with a name - the astronomer that runs it - the rest are guests and that come and go.

- My Sweetheart was rehabbed as the guest house for Molly the Moose when she traveled to our house as part of the traveling doll game. No one has ever moved in since she left.

This was the synopsis of the story I made for my SF 2010 that had the barn that was destroyed. It's the only one for which I have a real story.

Once upon a time a recent widow, who lost everything she had, Marla C. Henn ,and her three children, Melody, Melanie, and Merlin purchased a run down barn on 10 acres of land. Marla, affectionately called “Red” by her friends, planned a big renovation. She is well known for her stubborn determination and strong work ethic. The children were as hard workers as she was. She began by shoring up the foundation of the barn and putting in a kitchen on one end so she could start selling baked goods. She roughed in upstairs living quarters with the beginning of a dormer and an area for her custom sewing work, set up the animal area and began selling her eggs, milk, butter, cream, and cheese. She planted a garden, sold vegetables and flowers and took in laundry on the side. They were just getting their feet on the ground when the terrible tornado of 1957 struck in Fargo, ND. As you can see, all Red’s efforts now lie in shambles. She and her three little chicks are going to have to begin, yet, again. "Red" Henn and her chicks will move on to a very successful and happy life. You just wait and see.

• Like 3

My teenage son used to arrange my dollhouse people in, ahem, "compromising" positions so if I wanted to show someone my dollhouse, I'd have to check quick to make sure everything was as it should be. We all watched the video "The Dollhouse Murders" one evening and all my kids got so creeped out by the dollhouse lady moving that they steered clear of the dollhouse for months! Whenever we travel, the lady in my house always wants a souvenir.....

• Like 6

I am probably the only normal one here. I have Tessie and Zar, the Terrible two.

Those of you that follow my blog, know that these two are trying to take over the world. Tessie, being a witch, is a bit pushy and wants everything her way... Steampunk man, Zar, usually backs her up... But only if it is in his best interest. if they start squabbling I have to leave the room, until they settle things. I don't want to get in the middle.

They do rule the miniature world around here. Don't ever refer to them as dolls... They are very small people.

This morning, they are arguing over the new Brimble's Mercantile kit. Tessie seems to think it should be a dress shop. I am siding with Zar this time. He wants a Steampunk emporium and workshop. Please don't tell Tessie. I don't want to be turned into a frog again.

• Like 4

Casey, what about giving in just a little for Tessie's dress shop wish, make it a steampunk dressmakers area upstairs with steampunk dresses to be made and a mannequin or two with dresses made up with all those accessories....

Hugs

• Like 1

It will be an emporium after all. Kind of like a department store. Something for everyone. She already has a sewing room in the upstairs of her hat shop. She can make stuff there and sell it at the emporium if she can talk Zar into some kind of deal.

All the 'people' in my dollhouses are, as yet, imaginary, but I have a special house-in-progress that is (in my imaginings) the shore cottage my mother had always hoped to have. When I buy anything for it, I always think, "would Mom like that?" I wish she was still around to ask, but it makes me really think about her personality and I feel closer to my memories of her because of it. We all get so much from this hobby!!! :)

• Like 3

One of my dolls is having an affair with the guy next door.

I didn't want to say anything Deb, but Grandma (the one who lives in my dollhouse) already suspected that rumor was true. As long as this doll isn't having an affair with Grandpa, Grandma will keep her secret.

• Like 2

I posted somewhere a long time ago about the picadillos of the Petty family, who lived in the Cambridge until the Wee family moved in after Mr Petty put it up for sale after catching his wife with the Samuel L Jackson "Shaft" doll action figure. Since then the Petty family moved back into the Cambridge when it was moved to the home of our across-the-street neighbors' granddaughters and the Wees are homeless (as are the Smalls, since their house was damaged beyond repair in the move to AL).

This sounds like a soap opera - one of the better ones!

• Like 1

My teenage son used to arrange my dollhouse people in, ahem, "compromising" positions so if I wanted to show someone my dollhouse, I'd have to check quick to make sure everything was as it should be. We all watched the video "The Dollhouse Murders" one evening and all my kids got so creeped out by the dollhouse lady moving that they steered clear of the dollhouse for months! Whenever we travel, the lady in my house always wants a souvenir.....

I never heard of The Dollhouse Murders. I want to see that.

• Like 1

Thank you all so much for sharing your dollhouse family stories, as I enjoyed them immensely. Thank you also for showing me how much you understand my need to connect to the little world I created.

I see that some of you have actually written stories or blogs about your little occupants. I sometimes send e-mails to my friend that are titled "Dollhouse Daily," where I post updates on the family, and I am often surprised at the events they encounter. Some people think I have a good imagination, but I don't know why. It's not like I am making this stuff up. :)

• Like 3

I have specific people for my houses. They have to fit. I know we have discussed this before and some people don't have doll occupants as they dream of themself living there and if someone else was there, they couldn't pretend it was them. All of my people must have pets.

• Like 4

I didn't want to say anything Deb, but Grandma (the one who lives in my dollhouse) already suspected that rumor was true. As long as this doll isn't having an affair with Grandpa, Grandma will keep her secret.

Oh Maureen, you haven't heard the half of it! Get something to drink and settle in coz this story takes a bit.

Maharet is my red haired, green eyed witch who lives in the Orchid. Percutio is the wizard who lives next door in the Glencroft with his pet dragon, Phideau. (Holly named him) The story about those two is here on my website if you want to read it and see the mini people. There's another little encounter captured between them here.

It doesn't stop there. My Great Grandmother, Sarah Ann, opened the Wise Ways Emporium down the street. It's a shop that caters to witches, wizards and the occasional druid and there's also a research room and library upstairs. Sarah Ann is another custom made mini person by Wolfie (so are Maharet and Percutio). When she made Sarah Ann, I sent Wolfie a picture of my Great Grandmother taken the day she purchased her own farm and the doll is an eerie likeness. I scanned the picture and then shrunk it down, printed it out and framed it so it can hang on the wall behind the cash register.

Oh, speaking of affairs and witches and frogs, part of the story of these three is the large frog in a hanging cage upstairs at Wise Ways. My Great Grandfather was a cheater and he had it coming. <trying to stifle the giggles and not succeeding> Casey, you're going to really love this joke. Someone told me this about twenty years ago:

Q. What do you say to a pi$$ed off witch?

A. "Ribbet, ribbet"

hehehehehehe That's what started my huge collection of frogs. Seriously, there are frogs everywhere. I even have a cool crystal wand with a frog on it and when I get it out, Bruce hides. But I digress. The story about my Great Grandfather is true and since he left town and was never seen again, I've always like to believe that G-Grandma turned him into a frog.

Maharet has been speaking to me from inside her packing box. She wants out and she wants to move into the Pierce. With all the Bespaq and OOAKs. <sigh> That is one high maintenance witch. I suspect she may be bored with Percutio so who knows what else she has in mind.

Okay, that's two houses and a store. Which other mini people would you like to hear about? There's the Emerald Fairy who grows precious gemstones in her garden and then hides them underground for the gnomes and dwarfs to mine. Of course, if you're feeling in the mood to party, you can visit the Grim Reaper and his gang of merry (and waaaay drunk) skeletons as Death Takes a Holiday. Then there's the retired librarian who just died leaving a house full of books and cats. I've heard from a family of ghosts who would like to talk to me about leasing it so that should work out well. There was a bachelor living in the Magnolia but he moved out and I gave the house to a seven year old girl whose daddy was leaving for Afghanistan the next day.

One of the best stories is that of Lady Emma and her notorious social club, Willowfaire. If you're fond of regency romances, you'll like this one. If you're not fond of regency romances, you'll still like it because it's just fun. Oh, there is nudity in that house but only in the art work on the walls and the sculptures. Lady Emma's late husband was very fond of nudes (which is exactly why he's her *late* husband!). Willowfaire is often frequented by the Prince of Wales and Beau Brummel although no one is indiscreet enough to mention it.......within hearing of the Princess that is.

Even tho he doesn't have a mini body to inhabit yet, Dr. Thaddeus Robertson is my tiny mad scientist who's especially mad for steampunk. He's a little off the wall. The last time I saw him he was flipping out over some little fairy and talking about getting married. <shaking head> Somehow I don't think that's going to work out, but that's okay. Dr. Thaddeus will just throw himself into his work again soon.

The most special mini person is Jada, who lives in the Pierce's tower. I tried to convince her to live in the Beacon Hill but she refused to give up her rocking chair in the tower room. She's my Holly dolly and is incredibly precious.

<pausing to take a deep breath> Whew! That's a lot of back story going on in a lot of places and there are still about five or six mini people who haven't settled into their character yet. A couple of them may have to be sacrificed to make ghosts for the former librarian's cottage. <chuckling> If I said that anywhere but here, I'd be arrested for sure.

Wanna know the oddest thing about this whole crazy little world of mine? I still don't like dolls. <chuckling> I like mini people.

Deb

• Like 2