Question about adding a bathroom

Rocketlily

I'm working on a little cabin and want to add an attached bathroom to one side of it. There will be an interior door to get into the bathroom, but do I leave one of the walls off the bathroom to see in? If I totally enclose it, there would not be a way to see in.

Susan, when I add an extra room like that, I usually leave an opening on the same side of that room as the opening in the original kit. You may leave off the whole wall or just cut out part of that wall, depending on how the original kit was cut. It is best to make the openings the same, to unify the look of the house.

• Like 1

I agree on keeping it unified so I think I'll add the outside wall, for privacy sake, as who would want to use a bathroom with a wall missing and add a window. Between the interior door and an outside window, it will give a visitor enough of a peek at the room.

Susan, I had an open bathroom for years. My original dollhouse, before it was bashed, had four large rooms and an extra large attic that was inaccessible from the lower levels. Fortunately, the room I used for the master bedroom on the second floor had an extended front area that I used for the bathroom. It looked cute, but I also had privacy issues with this.

Recently, when I finally decided to have this house remodeled, the house told me I could solve my bathroom issue by adding an extra divider. The bathroom was open from the back, just like the rest of the house, but it also had an interior opening leading to a hallway. It worked out fine.

If I am picturing what you plan to do, and the house is open from the back, then I would remove the addition wall that will face the back. On the side that connects with the rest of the house, I would have a door or a door-sized opening.

When I bashed Maggie to include a bathroom I hinged the wall; I got the idea from a dollhouse I saw with an added inside bathroom, and the wall with the door was hinged so the little people could be positioned however and the wall replaced, and then the door opened would show the rest of the little family where that family member was.

• Like 1

If you make your little bathroom so that it can be seen from at least two windows, you could probably totally enclose it and it will still be completely viewable.

I am thinking of making a small half bath in my entry hall. The hall is 9" wide and my front door only needs 4". So I'm going to move my front door off center and put a window to the side of it to balance that out. That window will be the bathroom window. Because you'd have to have your head stuck under the porch roof to see in this window, I'm facing the door to the open back and I thnk with a light in there, it will be totally viewable. The bathroom is only going to be about 3 1/2 inches wide and I may put in a 3/4 size sink and toilet in there, like from Renwal.

Lisa keeps pointing out that no one wants to walk into a house through the front door and have a bathroom right there, but that's the only place it can go on the first floor.

Well the Washington 2.0 has begun to talk and right off the bat it wants me to make some kind of walled area on the side porch to put the bathroom, like DH's grandparents' house, and possibly screen the rest of the porch.

Well the Washington 2.0 has begun to talk and right off the bat it wants me to make some kind of walled area on the side porch to put the bathroom, like DH's grandparents' house, and possibly screen the rest of the porch.

I like that idea, Holly. When I did the Washington 2.0, I was glad it was going to be inhabited by skeletons who don't need a bathroom. With four rooms of nearly equal size, it's hard to figure out where to locate a bathroom.

When I rebuilt the Laurel I made the upstairs into a hallway by adding another wall, which allowed for a more normal size bathroom, and the Corona Concepts furniture sets were perfect for furnishing all the rooms. I have a couple of Reallife room kits to make up for furnishing the Washington, but the kitchen kit looks too modern for pre-WWII, so I'll probably grab my Dorsett guide and reproduce one of those kitchens.

When I bashed Maggie to include a bathroom I hinged the wall; I got the idea from a dollhouse I saw with an added inside bathroom, and the wall with the door was hinged so the little people could be positioned however and the wall replaced, and then the door opened would show the rest of the little family where that family member was.

Yes! I just redid my childhood dollhouse, and I've added a bathroom with hinged walls in about that same way.

I've also added a bathroom with sliding walls (slide between two pieces of moulding top and bottom) and an entire house "addition" that slides up to the main house, with kitchen addition on the bottom floor and bath addition on the upper floor, as solutions to other bathroomless dollhouses.

I can't stand the thought of my little houses having nowhere for mini-folks to "go"!

Our artply Allison doesn't have anywhere to put a bathroom. . Could put it in the attic but I want an attic in the attic. So we're adding a wall on the second floor. From the back of the house the bathroom will be visible, with a door connecting to the music room. Then to actually get to the music room, we're putting a hole in the roof over it. I had a dollhouse when I was a kid that had a secret room inside a hole in the roof, it was pretty neat.

• Like 1

After all this, I can't not tell my grandmother's favorite joke---she was born in 1902. What's the difference between rich people and poor people?

Rich people have a canopy over the bed.

Thank you for bringing back that special little memory!

• Like 1

Since my first doll house, an Orchid, needed a sewing room, I faked a bathroom in the large center gable using a removable wall. See it here. There are other views of it with the furnishings here and here. I solved the problem of a bathroom door by using a fancy yarn that looks like beading. See it here. It offers privacy, yet you can still tell it's a bathroom. It doesn't take up the space that would be needed if I used a traditional door set ajar.

After all this, I can't not tell my grandmother's favorite joke---she was born in 1902. What's the difference between rich people and poor people?

Rich people have a canopy over the bed.

Thank you for bringing back that special little memory!

Kathy, that must have been a popular joke of the time. It was a favorite of one of my aunts, who was born in 1898. :D