Wanted: random items

I'm tight on $$ lately (my husband and I just bought our first home), and the prices on Ebay and Etsy seem to be skyrocketing, even for simple miniatures.

Thought I'd post on here and see if anyone is able to help me out.

I am looking for 1:12 scale sewing stuff: mannequins, machines, accessories.

Also looking for a 1:12 TV, but not a modern looking one. I need one that looks old-fashioned.

Also need 'street stuff'- like recycling bins, trash cans, etc for my Ninja Turtle street scene. The scale on those things can vary, since everything in that scene is differently sized.

I have a few random things in my stash that I'd be willing to trade, so if any of you think you can help me out, let me know and I'll tell you what kibds of things I can swap.

Thanks!

I found an interesting grouping of toys at Dollar Tree - it was called a finger skateboard. It had a skateboard, a trash can and a construction pylon all for $1. There were different configurations in the sets. They were close to scale, with the trash can being the closest.

• Like 3

I found an interesting grouping of toys at Dollar Tree - it was called a finger skateboard. It had a skateboard, a trash can and a construction pylon all for $1. There were different configurations in the sets. They were close to scale, with the trash can being the closest.

I have several of the skateboards from Dollar Tree, even the little screwdriver thast came w/ the set was about 1:12 scale! Haven't seen the trash cans or anything else though, besides some bikes (which I also have already).

You could make fairly believable dumpsters out of card, too.

Don't really have the room for a dumpster- it's a very narrow area. I just need little things to make it look a little more like an actual city street.

What else does a city street need? I have a shopping cart and a mailbox, and of course the sewer grates. . .

Fast food bags or containers, styrofoam cups (think the white tops of Aileen's glue bottles), paper, one beat up gym shoe, cigarette butts, :hmm: <thinking> Leaves, puddles, tire tracks, pot holes, general paper litter.

• Like 1

Congratulations to you and your husband Erin on purchasing your first home. That is definitely a life priority, but fortunately a happy and exciting one.

For a street scene, you will want a street lamp if you don't already have one, and maybe a fire hydrant. I will take another look at your Ninja scene, and I will keep my eye out for any of the miniature accessories you may be able to use.

• Like 1

You could make fairly believable dumpsters out of card, too.

Definitely! This one's from corrugated cardboard:

Spent nothing but time and thought on it... two things that are always in better supply than $$$...

(Customize for the size area you have, of course.)

Trash cans can be made from an upside-down whipped-cream lid (the aerosol kind), or from aluminum foil over a paper cup ("kiddie size," the kind that you rinse your mouth with in the bathroom).

a dog or cat would fit in the scene dumping the trash can.

cut a piece of cardboard to size and wrap strips of cloth around it for bolts of cloth for a sewing accessory. Could you possibly make a mannequin from a small doll and take the head, arms and legs off. You know the little dolls that you can get at the dollar store? For tiny thimbles look closely at tops and spray paint with silver if necessary. wrap thread around a cotton ball to make a pin cushion.

You could easily make an old fashion square looking tv with scrap wood and staining leaving a place to put in clear plastic and gluing in a scene, for the speaker section stain in a lighter color and scribe lines in it to give a different texture look.

• Like 1

Not sure what size trash can you want, but those little white coffee-creamer thingies from restaurants make wonderful waste baskets. I just trim off the flat top and paint it silver, or dark green - and it makes a nice trash can :)

I spray painted a mouthwash bottle cap silvery and glued wee silver colored jump rings to each side to make a garbage can.

*ahem, blank*

There's no delete post button, is there?

It's to the immediate left of your "MultiQuote button in the lower right corner of your post; it's very faint until you pass your cursor over it; the "Edit" button is to the left of the "Delete" button.

I made a trash can out of the creamer thing. I had a severe flash back while doing it. I was playing around with scrap shingles, It came out pretty good, but don't know how much I can do with them........ It's a really LONG story, but as I was making it all I could think was OMG I have turned into my mother!.

I spray painted a mouthwash bottle cap silvery and glued wee silver colored jump rings to each side to make a garbage can.

It's to the immediate left of your "MultiQuote button in the lower right corner of your post; it's very faint until you pass your cursor over it; the "Edit" button is to the left of the "Delete" button.

Holly, you seem to be the only one on this forum who has the magic delete button -- but you're NOT a regular member, you are a Master Builder, which apparently brings special powers with the title.. Please stop making the rest of us crazy because we can't find the delete button. The only way we have to deal with a blank or erroneous message is to edit it with an "Oops" or send a message to a moderator asking to have it deleted. Every time you post this, I diligently search, but the area to the left of holds only an Edit button, and that for a limited time. Beyond that -- nothing.

• Like 1

No delete button here either. I've looked diligently as well and very frequently wished I had one!!!!

All I can do is delete the contents and think of something else to say or leave it with a period in it.

• Like 1