Lot to learn with making clay food & dishes

amyole

This afternoon I had about 3 hours to "kill" and decided to drag out one of my books and see what I could make with clay (fimo/sculpey). Let's just say my apples are very large and I had ONE plate out of three come out looking like a plate and the other things I tried all went in the trash. I have a new respect for all the people who have successfully created these things. I will have to do some more studying (on-line tutorials are better than a book, but somehow they tend to drive me a little crazy) and practice.

Humbled but determined.

• Like 3

Ive never been able to successfully make a decent plate or and other dish for that matter with clay. I think dishes are a lot harder than food. Start with bread, that's the easiest! If you don't have one try a subscription to dollshouse.tv 4.99 a month, they have wonderful food tutorials from some great artists. Youtube videos drive me crazy....and dear people making videos of any sort....its SUPER annoying when you crinkle the packaging of anything right in front of the microphone! ;) Its like fingernails on a chalkboard.

• Like 3

Anytime I try making something it tends to be on the large side too. More like Barbie food. I agree with you, I have a great deal of respect for the amazing realism people can achieve with food.

I have been doing everything in my house from scratch and the hardest thing I am find is getting the scale right without a good reference piece. I think I might break down and actually buy a bowl of fruit or something so I can see the scale right in front of me! A lot of making the smaller stuff look real is in the painting of it. I have been using all brown sculpty style clay, baking it then painting it however I want. All things have shadows and highlights, so if you were to make an apple, Apple skin is dark in the divots where the stem is and on the bottom. First paint the apple red or however you want it. Then you can take a dark brown acrylic paint and water it down to make a wash (basically very watered down color) and apply it to the whole apple. It will sink into the wrinkles and holes and add depth to make it more real. the high points of the clay will not really be affected by it too much.

So far, this has worked nicely for many of the items I have made!

• Like 1

Food is very important to me, and my current obsession is buying food for my dollhouse. I want my mini family to be prepared for every holiday and as many ethnic and cultural events as possible. I always thought the tiniest miniatures were no doubt the hardest to work with, so I am amazed at how realistic miniature food can be.

Personally, I am impressed that on your first try, you were able to get one plate out of three done to your satisfaction. Let that be an incentive. I am also impressed by your determination. I have a feeling there will be food on your mini plates quicker than you think.

• Like 2

I did candles, plates and oranges as my first clay. A friend said the oranges looked like pumpkins???? I have tried the "canes" and got some really pretty color wheels. No canes, everything smashed together. I ordered an instruction book from HSB, hopefully it will show in the next day or two. I really need to get the third floor windows in the BH before I start on "food" and stuff HAHA.

I have a DVD of Angie Scarr (? spelling) and she makes it look so easy but when my great big clunky hands try it, well, let's just say, it's, um, er, politely said - absolutely no comparison - not even in the same planetary system or universe. I have the utmost respect for those who do such lovely creations. I found out that even my MD makes clay food - doesn't build houses but makes plates and plates of food.

Good luck to all of you who can do it. I'll admire and buy from you - until I get new hands ... hahahaha

• Like 1

I like to use pastels to color the food. I haven't used a lot of polymer these past few years, but i used to really like making candles and then I saw in person some professional made candles and realized how huge mine were and how the color was so flat looking. It really helped to see professional work. I started mixing with a lot more translucent and really working to get things scaled down. Angie's books are more advanced I think, the Sue Heaser one is good to get started. I'm going to b making a lot of clay food items for my current house so I've been stocking up on kemper clay cutters. I think this will help me with scale, for plates you might try the kemper rose cutters, which are made for building a 1:1 rose.

I'm pretty sure I've seen on etsy some silicone molds for plates. I love this silicone mold revolution lol, there are so many available now. You just add the clay to the mold and pop it out when it's cooked.

I sure seem to have a lot to say about this Lol :-) I was just thinking ( as I was cleaning up my space ) I keep my polymer " mistakes" . I use a fishing tackle box for items I've made in polymer and will use and some items I would never use, but it helps me when I'm working to see what Not to do next time. One thing I've made with some success ( in my mind) is lion face wall plaques and green man wall plaques. There are several really bad ones that I keep around for that reason:)

I used my copy of Angie Scarr's book to make veggies for the Coventry Cottage garden (next to last picture in this blog entry) and pumpkins were realy the first food I ever made. Eventually I'll try making more food, but so far for most of my houses I do good to make the people and their furniture.

Depending on the food you are making, the right color polymer clay is very realistic when you get to the stage your piece is baked. I have played with polymer enough to appreciate its abilities and plan to try more. Until then, I have purchased food on ebay that will help in the modeling department. The nice thing is it is very low cost.

• Like 1

Me too! I recently set out to try and make bread ( from Sculpey). It sort of came out looking like a brown lump. I ended up using tiny red beads for apples in a bowl. My fingers can't manage stuff that small any more! :p

I have wanted to try food for a long time, baking the pieces is what scares me. I don't want to bake it too long and do I use my regular oven, I've heard a lot of people say to use a toaster oven. I've been so worried about the baking I only made 2 things and they were both loafs of bread. They turned out ok. I really want to make cakes and meals, and people !

Kelly, the fumes from baking polymer clay are odorless, colorless and TOXIC. You do not want to use anything you bake the clay on or in for food. If you have pet birds you might want to put your toaster oven on a screen porch or outside to use it (I don't have pet birds, but I still use mine outside or with ample ventilation).

I used a toaster oven I got at the dollar store along with a $1 oven thermometer to make sure my oven temp is a consistent 250F/ It tells you on the clay package how long to bake the clay. My veggies, hands & arms take about 15 minutes.

Kelly, you can also cure the polyclay in boiling water. Use a small dedicated pan. Anna cooks her polyclay this way. You can experiment with odd lumps of clay to determine the length of time necessary before you try to cure something you've spent a lot of time on.

Holly & Kathie, thank you both so much. I have a toaster oven I got just for the clay but never tried it. I do have 1 pet bird so will defiantly use it outside, away from the house. I really want to try to make some cakes for a little tea shop I want to make in the future. I really want to make a few dolls, I have none and would love to put a few in the houses.

Kellee