My! Technology has changed building dollhouses

GirlPiper

Last weekend I printed some wallpaper for the latest project, and it hit me again how much has changed in the miniature world since I started adult building in the '70s. We do so much with the internet instructions; order things on line that come in a few days; get answers to questions worldwide without a stamp or waiting weeks, and there are videos/pictures to aid with the creation. Glues and materials are better quality and variety. The interaction here is also stimulating and inspirational.

Still amazed--I printed my own wall paper at home, The color and pattern could be customized and it's nicer than what we used to be able to get, Plus, I can make more if I goof it up, or put it aside without buyer's remorse if it isn't just right. Glad I rediscovered this hobby now.

• Like 6

You are so right! I had wanted to build a dollhouse for years, but was unable to find anything to start with. The only thing I did have was a very worn copy of HBS's catalog which I used for dreaming. Once the internet came along, I was able to find more than I needed at a price I could afford (although my DH would probably disagree) The best bit is this wonderful forum which has saved me so much time, money and frustration, not to mention the wonderful virtual family that's here :banana:

• Like 1

I agree. When my mother and I started with the official Garfield project around 1980 we were left to our own resources. There was a hobby store (where we bought the kit) that had very limited supplies. It carried all kinds of hobbies like model cars, planes, ships, trains, rocks and gems and so much more. It was quite small so every hobby had just a wee bit of choices. Fortunately my father was a jack of all trades so he always had an idea or two for how to solve problems.

Now I just hop on the computer and peruse some shopping sites and next thing I know the goodies are at my door.

It may have made it more expensive in some ways because it's increased the ideas of what can be done and thus the desires.

• Like 1

I think about this all the time. One thing that's really interesting and amazing really to consider is how the internet has helped artists who sell their items to have a worldwide customer base. One of the things I love is pointing out items in my houses that have come from so many different countries. ( and took less time and $ than getting something delivered from Atlanta Georgia ;)

• Like 2

I'm so Internet dependent now, that I was marveling about it this last week while suffering through spotty service while we replaced some equipment. Besides my work, I use the Internet for all of the things already mentioned, and collaborate with several friends all over the world all the time!

For miniatures (I think) it has helped recreate interest in the hobby. When I started building (late 80s/early 90s) the only resources were brick and mortar stores, Nutshell News, other magazines, and shows. We had two local stores, one run by the wonderful Peggy Puckett. I remember driving 2 hours one way to Sacramento, and 1 hour one way to Marin for shows which were always trains and dolls too, never just minis. Everything was through the mail. House of Miniatures kits were a subscription that sent you a monthly kit. House kits were at Home Depot at Xmas time or through mail order or your local store.

Now we can find just about anything with just a little research. The extent and variety and quality of merchandise is remarkable and easy to get, building materials are readily available, and tutorials are easy to find and free (we used to have to buy books and mags for the tutorials). Of course, the books and magazines are still wonderful (don't get me wrong, I have many) but they were the ONLY resources before.

But I think the greatest thing the Internet has done for this hobby is the availability of information. Whether you want to make everything yourself from scratch or build with manufactured materials the information is there. If you want to do a period house, the volume of info and photos for inspiration is amazing. If you want to connect with like minded people to share ideas it's there (and here).

It used to be that we worried about more young people coming into the hobby. No more. The Internet has opened this hobby up to anyone who is interested!

• Like 1

The Internet, like all forms of media, is a great tool but one that tends to be abused. Far to often we hear about the negative side, such as preditors soliciting minors for sex, financial scams, privacy violations, etc. that I think it is important to note the positive aspects as well.

I, for one, credit the Internet with reviving the miniature hobby. This seemed to be a fad in the 1980's, but now there are very few brick or mortar stores, and without the Internet, we wouldn't be able to make so many purchases, see each other's projects, or be on this site. I myself am not a crafty person, but even I printed wallpaper from an Internet site. It was free too.

Before the Internet, I truly had no idea miniatures were so popular. Just because something isn't mainstream doesn't mean it isn't plentiful. The Internet serves as an aid to help us find each other.

• Like 2

Agree with every post here. I think about it all the time.

And plans are being created in software programs these days, and software can guide tools as well, so with laser-cut kits and furnishings some costs have gone down, which in turn can make artisan goods seem even more special...

Technology has given miniaturists (and everybody else) lots more than we can really wrap our heads around!

This is yet another forum topic near and dear to me. So...The forum is a HUGE gift modern technology has given miniaturists.

Another one of my favorite pieces of progress is the laser cutter. For sure! And how about glues? We have fantastic glues. Paints as well. I remember craft stores in the 70's. There was NOT a paint aisle :)

• Like 1

Another thing I'm remembering about the 70's-80's--people put together terrariums, and lots of dime stores/craft aisles had tiny animals and doodads that went well in doll houses.

I was looking at pictures awhile ago of my first "dollhouse" - which was actually a bookcase hanging on the wall. It was in the early 1980's and I had nothing but a couple HBS catalogs, a few magazines, and a couple of how-to books. How I would have loved access to this forum back then!! I love the way the Internet has helped our hobby. :)

• Like 1

I agree with the level of quality. But I have to say, when it comes to wallpaper, I still surf eBay to find the "old" wallpapers from BH Miniatures and Millie August and some discontinued MiniGraphics papers. I have nothing against the newer papers. It's just that there were some wallpapers I never had a chance to use that I'd always wanted.