Waiting for Spring Fling? What can you do with a Greenleaf Furniture Kit?

Minsanity

I have been thinking about suggesting a friendly project for anyone who would like to participate, not necessarily a competition, but more a collaboration of ideas that we can share with each other. I have always been eager to see what we all could do with the basic furniture kits from Greenleaf and expect I am no the only one that has a number of these kits (old and new) sitting around the house. When I saw Kelly's beautiful 1/2" scale bathroom I thought I would send the suggestion out.

While all of you are eagerly awaiting news of the spring fling, this might be a fun way to keep creativity flowing. Anyone want to play? If not I wont take it personally, but I'm going out on the deck now to start sanding.... don't know what pieces I'll work on, but I'm looking forward to it! Hopefully guilt over watching my husband move mulch won't kill the joy ;-)

• Like 3

The Victorian bathroom... I think they call it Bubbly Bathroom??? It's my favorite... the tub is so cool. I also like the one with the piano really well.

I like that bathroom too :)

I also really like what you did with the kitchen.

Cynthia, great topic. I love the thought of doing something with a GL furniture kit. You must have heard me telling my husband this the other day :) I also am trying to occupy myself until the Fling. I'm not ready to make a furniture kit yet as I have my eye on that bathroom (the store defines "bathroom" and "master bathroom" in the 1/2 scale, what I want, and the bathroom is the cool tub) and the library. Or, "room with the piano", which I prefer :) Maybe 'piano room'? I first fell in love with the GL furniture when I saw Kelly's piano room desk and chair. That has been my favorite single piece ever since. At any rate, I have several 1/2 scale builds in progress and nowhere any GL furniture makes sense for, yet, except maybe one. So, I'm working on my half scale Buttercup :)

Another thought is that the 1/2 scale furniture is laser cut. It will be nice to build.

I would LOVE to see finished furniture kit photos! :)

• Like 1

I've made the patio set and I'll warn everyone to grow at least 2 other hands before attempting the umbrella and the curved seats in the Adirondack chairs. I drove myself almost over the edge building them. They were in and out of the trash multiple times. Each time they landed there, I'd feel guilty and dig them back out again. In the end I'm okay with them. The umbrella was the hardest to make appear "real". I ended up spray painting it to make it look like the old retro metal ones. It's bright shiny red. I tried using fabric on it to create the umbrellas of today but was not successful. Painting stripes didn't fly either.

My oldest granddaughter did a kitchen and bathroom a few years ago and they were not nearly as difficult, in our opinion. We have several sets and plan on using them all eventually.

• Like 2

I can relate to both wanting to trash my projects and frustration over some of the Greenleaf furniture. I have the older box with 56 pieces in it. I tried to make the kitchen chairs and I could not get them aligned properly. as you said I needed at least two more hands. I actually thought later that what I might need is a bowl of sand that I could stand the legs in so that they would be positioned correctly to glue on the seat. I will try that another time for those chairs ended up mangled in the trash and I have to say it felt pretty darn good mangling them.

I spent the day sanding and staining the living room don't have much to show yet but will try to post picture when I have something

• Like 1

So... I'm working on the 1/2 dining room set. Here is the table... I have reenforced the bottom with pieces of strip wood... and then added more strip wood to the table top. This will all be painted... but it is much more stable now. I am also working on the hutch... many of these pieces don't have "full backs".. and this bugs me... so I use pieces of heavy cardboard and make pieces for the backs... once they are painted you can't tell they are cardboard.

post-6564-0-71123800-1398639615_thumb.jppost-6564-0-85811100-1398639620_thumb.jp

• Like 2

I had messed around with the library kit just a bit, these were from my gallery. But I added a 3d effect by applying some puff paint in areas to replicate carving on the flat surfaces. And I sanded off some corners here and there to change the shape

Oh of course..gold pen details Gooooooooooooolllld! :1st:

gallery_15596_6119_20098.jpg
  • Like 6

i'm working away on the living room. it is from the older complete house box. I am considering upholstering the chair and couch but I'm not sure yet whether I'll be successful.

I did it here: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=15878

...I would LOVE to see finished furniture kit photos! :)

I furnished the Laurel rehab with the GL furniture kits.

• Like 2

I did these three half scale kits awhile back. I have quite a few more half scale kits to work on,if I ever have time again. I also used the 1/12 kitchen kit in my art ply Bobbi and the outdoor 1/12 kit in my beach house, I have both of these kits to try in half scale. post-2682-0-01574200-1398713618_thumb.jppost-2682-0-97666600-1398713632_thumb.jppost-2682-0-37330400-1398713655_thumb.jp

• Like 5

That's really cute Kelly. I also liked how you did the dining table in the earlier post and how Jane added texture to hers ( I will be remembering those ideas). Isn't nice how with half scale, you don't need as many accessories to get a realistic look as compared with 1/12 scale ( since there are fewer accessories to be found in half scale). It's also wonderful how Green leaf includes accessories like shelves and picture frames in these kits.

• Like 1

I love that Cynthia :) ... and Paula you're right... it's nice with 1/2 scale that you can minimize the accessories :)

so.... here is my dining set all finished.... this was a fun set... I still like the bathrooms the best though for some reason.

post-6564-0-91657000-1398728863_thumb.jp