Need Your Input on my next possible DH

shamrockgirl18

Has anyone built the Adams dh kit before? Here's the link:

http://www.miniatures.com/The-Adams-Dollhouse--P19780.aspx

I have been wanting to do a Lilo and Stitch themed surf shop for a while now- but I needed a building that looked like a little shack on the beach. (aka not too fancy)

Has anyone tried this kit yet? If I decide to purchase it, what kibnd of roof donyou think a beach shack should have? I see little surfboards clattered on the porch, the building p[ainted a bright turqouise color, with old surf posters and ads on the outside. . .

I already have a Lilo, and she's been asking for one of those Hallmark Christmas ornaments that is a jukebox that plays Elvis song- particularly the one that plays Stuck on You.

I also have a palm tree (found at a thrift store, and I suspect goes to a Nativity set) already, which just needs a house to belong to.

Suggestions? Input? Advice?

I have the kit, but have not built it yet...I think it would make an adorable surf shop! And yes, I agree, a palm leaf, or grass (possibly made from raffia) would be neat as a roof! I know someone did a little beachy shack years back and did the grass roof--I am not sure what kit was used...

This time of year Dollar Tree usually has their Polynesian themed cook out stuff (leis, grass skirts, etc.) which might have items that you could use. I saw ice cube trays one year that were like the carved masks--maybe they could be used as molds?

I look forward to seeing your creation!

Tappy

• Like 1

The beach shacks that have thatch roofs are the ones that are open on four sides. Parts of the world that use palm to thatch roofs also have hosts of cockroaches nesting in them. I have an Adams kit that I shall eventually build, but it wants board & batten siding and a tin roof.

I have never had any problems with miniatures.com--they have been around for years.

Good to know! There was a 10% discount for ordering through the site, so even w/ shipping the grand total was below $30. My husband doesn't mind my hobby, as long as I don't spend our savings $ on it. :bigwink:

OK- you talked me into it! Before I knew it, I was buying it. I justify it b/c the house kit is under $30, which is a good price. Hopefully this miniatures.com website/company does not disappoint me.

Erin, that's Hobby Builders' Supply and they have been around a very LONG time.

I buy most of my minis from HBS - I had an issue with my Lily: one sheet had dry rot and Harry at HBS really went 10,000 extra miles to help me out.

I also have 5 Adams kits that I bought on their sale last year. I plan to make them tin shacks (bashing some to have different features).

For the roof you could layer it with kebab sticks that you've stained a darker colour - some of the beach/outdoor buildings in South Africa would have a roof made with wooden poles.

• Like 1

The Adams was the house used in Hobby Builder's Supply 15th annual Creatin' Contest five years ago. You can see lots of wonderful entries here.

By the way, the second place winner was yours truly, and the third place winner was our own forum member Braenden Jones. I built the general store and its shelves, counters, post office, etc., in the Honorable Mentions category; it was decorated and entered by my friend Norma Jeane Ferguson. I'm sure there were other entries from forum members, I just can't remember them.

• Like 1

I have built the Adams... it's in my gallery... I used it to create a Bodie ghost town house with it... a surf shop would be really cool with it... I used bamboo place mats on my Bora Bora Spring Fling house... they were cheap and worked really cool... you could do that for your siding.

• Like 2

Thanks so much for all the great ideas! I hope it arrives soon so I can get started on it! My little Lilo figurine has been homeless for a year, and she needs a surf shack and some Elvis tunes ASAP!

I know we talk about how our dollhouses 'talk' to us, but sometimes I have dolls/figurines that 'talk' to me and demand a home! :D I love the movie Lilo and Stitch b/c it's fun and original, but it's also one of the movies I watched w/ my husband on our first 'date.'

• Like 2

The Adams was the house used in Hobby Builder's Supply 15th annual Creatin' Contest five years ago. You can see lots of wonderful entries here.

Oh my gosh, has it been 5 years?! That is when I bought the kit (that is still in the box!)...

I did a search of the Greenleaf Gallery using the term "Beach" and found all kinds of beach huts & houses--this is a great way to check out the different materials used for roofs, etc. to see if you like the look before you buy the materials...

And isn't it great that there are no cockroaches, ants, termites, etc. in mini land unless we want there to be?! And no building codes, zoning, or other regulations?!

Tappy

• Like 2

This subject cracks me up. Isn't "DH" also short for "dear husband" on this forum? In that context the subject is fairly amusing, don't you think?

Yup. :D Gave me a nice chuckle when I first saw the subject line.

DH = dear husband and dh = dollhouse