Missymew the Diva Cat

Missymew

The diva of the household, Missymew, (will be 16 on May 29th) has finally settled down for her afternoon nap. She sleeps more as she has aged quickly over the past year. She is very demanding. Routine cannot change or she gets very anxious. Good thing both Ray and I are retired. She has her own bedroom as, with her arthritis, she prefers to sleep alone. She howls loudly and persistently when she is ready for bed (and this includes getting up in the night a few times and then howling for either Ray or I to tuck her into her blanket). Her 20+ times a day and night bedtime routine consists of either lifting her onto her bed (she has a footstool and sometimes climbs up herself and then howls sitting on her blanket), kisses, telling her what a good girl she is, and then we have to kneel and pray. During the prayer she will settle down.

We have to keep our hands off her or she will attack. She has always had this trait. She is very affectionate and loves attention, but in a micro-second she turns into attack mode. She is also very vicious in her attacks and sinks claws and fangs in deeply. We take her to the vet every few weeks as only he can trim her claws.

While she is extremely needy, we realize that her days on this earth are dwindling. Her kidneys are shutting down and she has experienced a lot of weight loss.

Before bed, she had to have some chopped up roasted chicken, followed by "whipped" cream. She likes it from the whipped cream canister and can tell the difference between "real" whipped cream and cream substitutes.

• Like 5

Having trouble re-sizing my photo to show MM in her bed. I cropped, but didn't work. Will have to figure something else out. Maybe I'll just open an album or add to my Cats Album.

<grinning> I really do love that cat of yours Susanne. Missymew takes feline attitude to a whole new level. Bless her heart, she's doing some of the same things Napoleon did when he got to be 16 or 17. They firmly believe that if we catered to them in their youth, we should do everything but spoon feed them when they're seniors. (and sometimes we do that too!) Napoleon's favorite food was "fish cheesecake", more commonly known as a crab rangoon. Whenever we ordered chinese food, Napoleon always seemed to know and would go sit by the front door to wait for the delivery. He'd also lost a lot of weight and demanded a warm heating pad in his bed all the time unless he could find a warm lap.

It's so good of you to do these things for her and make her so comfortable in her senior years. Tell her I envy her ability to just sit on a bed and howl coz there are lots of days I'd love to do exactly that but humans aren't allowed.

I know this is hard on you sweetie and my heart is with you as you know it would be. <wrapping arms around you in a warm hug> Enjoy every minute and make as many memories as possible.

• Like 2

Susanne,we had a wonderful Siamese,Tommy,from the time I was age 12 until I was 29 and moved out-17 years of love and adventures and whatever the male term for 'diva' would be! :) He was ornery and lovable,our light,a best friend to each of us,and just a treasured memory in my otherwise crazy family life. So I know how you feel about Missymew. Lots of cuddles and wishes for comfort sent her way. Kat

Susanne,

I enjoyed hearing how Missymew is loved and treated. I am part of a family who treats their pets as members of the family equal to everyone else. I wouldn't be surprised if you were to think we go overboard :) No, we don't hoard and none of our animals have wardrobes that fill walk in closets. But, I can certainly tell you about how pampered the dogs in our family are. My parents dogs have their own air conditioned van and go out for breakfast on a regular basis. Our dogs...well, they are the cutest dogs in the world :) I build 99% of each dollhouse with one of my girl dog in my lap. She is known to sit on what I am working on to get my attention. Her brother wipes his feet after he goes outside and understands far too much. As in, you don't say ANYTHING you don't want him to hear because he WILL understand and react. Point being, I believe you can add me to the list of people who respect you for loving your cat as a valued member of the family and not just your pet.

The very best to your family as you deal with this aging process. Missymew is a very well blessed kitty.

Morgan

A two dog Mom

• Like 2

Morgan, you have hounds, don't you? Our first beagle was extremely intelligent and the vet staff used to joke about how he'd fuss at them when they didn't do things to suit him (he talked when pushed, had a limited but effective vocabulary). Part of what endears us to our fur babies is their personality.

• Like 1

Susanne,

Our animals are part of our family. My twin cats lived 16 years, dying a week apart. They were pampered all there lives and they are so missed.

They were my mini project managers. My thoughts and prayers go out to you.

• Like 1

I treat my animals like they are my kids. We just bought Ruby (the pit mix) a Thunder Jacket for those times when we are not home (basically when I am not home) for seperation anxiety. It actually works.
You enjoy Missmew in all her senior splendor!

• Like 3

... We just bought Ruby (the pit mix) a Thunder Jacket for those times when we are not home (basically when I am not home) for seperation anxiety. It actually works.

I've never heard of these before. I'm going to let my sister know about them. One of her dogs is afraid of everything under the sun. Her other 2 could not care less what is happening around them. Hope it might help him a little. Thanks for heads up.

• Like 1

I have to admit that I am not a cat lover by nature, and I never heard of a cat that howled. I heard of one that was trained to use a toilet, but not one that howled. However, I had a little dog named Missey whom my father taught to howl. That's right, he got on all fours one day and told Missey to "Watch Daddy." Dad threw his head back and howled, and Missey, whom I affectionately called Missey Moo at times, repeated Dad's actions.

You never know what things you will do for your pets or because of your pets, so I definitely understand your cat sentiments, Susanne. I am sure some people will say Missey Mew is spoiled, but people have pets for various reasons, and for me, I wouldn't think of having a pet if I couldn't spoil it. They are members of the family, not personal objects, and what family member couldn't use a little extra love and affection at times.

I find it comforting that Missey Mew is comforted by an evening prayer. I also didn't realize that cats can be as affectionate as dogs. So thanks for sharing her with us, and rest assured, we understand. I wouldn't expect many who never had a pet to understand, but that's okay because you are better off for having Missey Mew to spoil, enjoy, and share.

Selkie, She follows me everywhere. When I first put on the jacket, she just laid there and watched me go up and down the stairs. We do not use it all the time. Just when we know that there will be nobody here.
Tell your sister to save box and receipt. Sometimes they do not work. She can return it if after a couple tries you know.

Selkie, She follows me everywhere. When I first put on the jacket, she just laid there and watched me go up and down the stairs. We do not use it all the time. Just when we know that there will be nobody here.

Tell your sister to save box and receipt. Sometimes they do not work. She can return it if after a couple tries you know.

Thanks Heidi. I sent her the info and I'll be sure to tell her this too. She has such a time with this one pup. He's a rescue that had been abused before they got him. She thought she could "fix" everything. He's a challenge but she loves him dearly. She is a big dog lover and rescuer so if any pup needed a super home and care it would be with her. She's amazing. I hope this will help him, at least a little bit.

Hm-m-m ... I wonder if they make these for humans too? I could use something to calm me down sometimes. Well actually they do make weighted vests and lap blankets for children with ADHD and other emotional issues. They are supposed to help. I'd guess it's the same idea.

• Like 1

Deb, I remember when you'd send me a parcel (I still have the adorable heart-shaped catnip bags). I'd ask you to let Napoleon climb into the box so that my girls could have a good sniff when the package arrived. They so enjoyed Napoleon's gift of scent ;)

• Like 2

I think it works on the premise of a swaddle. Snug to make them feel secure. i would LOVE to have something to make me feel good like that. Maybe an extra tight t-shirt? LOL nahh

I think it works on the premise of a swaddle. Snug to make them feel secure. i would LOVE to have something to make me feel good like that. Maybe an extra tight t-shirt? LOL nahh

For me it's a comfy soft old nightgown; no snug involved!

My boss lady has a dog she 'inherited' from her late mother,who I also worked for as a caregiver. Sweety,an aptly named,otherwise very calm and laid back mutt,has always gone into absolute hysterics-scratching the door up to get in then scratching it up to get out,back and forth,shaking all over,and is just a nervous wreck! Nothing will calm her down until it's over. That can be a long time in the South,and when you are staying overnight with the human shut-in! I'll have to tell the family about this,as they have all tried everything,including some sort of pills that are supposed to help calm her and a large kennel to restrain her movements. I found a good article on this product:

http://www.mnn.com/family/pets/stories/does-the-thundershirt-really-work

Sounds like it's worth a try!