Paper Mache

I had this idea to make paper mache using the cross-cut paper in my paper shredder. Does anyone know if this would work and would you happen to know a recipe for making it? Thanks :)

• Like 2

Softer papers work better for papiér maché, like toilet tissue or newspaper, but if you soak it long enough, it might break down. The problem I see is that the paper you'd be shredding has extra added ingredients that give it body and surface qualities for printing. But the only way you'll find out it to try it!

Soak a handful in a bow of water overnight and try squishing it the next morning. If you can squish it together to make a pulp, you're in business. Squeeze out the excess water and mix in some white glue or wallpaper paste. I'm sure if you Google it there will be beaucoup recipes, but you can also wing it. :D

I made my son a piñata for his last birthday. I used newspaper and a mixture of four and water. Make sure to add salt, so it won't mildew.

• Like 1

Kari, I prefer premixed wallpaper paste, since it includes ingredients to discourage critters from eating the papermache. White glue makes a lovely product, but you want to add a few drops/ spoonful of oil of cloves to repel the bugs.

Thanks! No worries about mold or mildew in the desert, its way to dry out here. I have a struggle keeping paint and glue moist enough to use. No bugs either.

I always seal everything I make with acrylic sealer so wouldn't that prevent anything getting to it?

• Like 2

Thanks! No worries about mold or mildew in the desert, its way to dry out here. I have a struggle keeping paint and glue moist enough to use. No bugs either.

I always seal everything I make with acrylic sealer so wouldn't that prevent anything getting to it?

Just don't plan on moving to FL or the Gulf Coast. I once decorated a mini case clock with sesame seeds and rice grains that I painted with gold paint and sealed in two coats of varnish. Didn't stop the roaches, you'd've thought it was smorgasbord!

Don't worry, no plans of going to those areas. I had enough heat and humidity to last me a lifetime in Virginia. No roaches, mosquitoes or even flies out here where I live. No humidity today its only 3% humidity. We do get field mice occasionally in the garage but nothing except spiders in the house. I was so use to putting everything in plastic sealed containers and scrubbing mildew off the shower walls and now water just dries in a few minutes. I really have to scramble to put things together with glue or it dries before I get the pieces arranged. Paint dries almost as fast as you put in on. I still seal almost everything just in case. I do not miss the humidity at all except I do have to drink so much water daily its unbelievable. :)

• Like 2

That's one of the things I miss about the West,Roxie-the dry heat! Our humidity here isn't as horrible to me as being cold,which physically hurts,but yeah,it takes forever for paint or glue or anything to dry here-plus I live on a very shaded lot-I'm talking dampness galore!lol But I've been doin' the plastic boxes and bags thing for years and I don't have bugs. :) Flour and water papier mache was all we ever used in daycare,because it's cheap,simple,and safe for children,so Kari it was fine for your pinata. :)

• Like 2

Me Too! I use Modge Podge for everything! I was reading all kinds of recipes for paper clay ( paper mache) on Pinterest there are so many. A lot of them add white glue to it but I am afraid that if I do that it will dry way too fast. I made a test batch in a very small container and it was dry in about 30 minutes!

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Hello all,

I want to decorate my next project (Orchid DH) with a rock landscape as a hill with front steps wrapped around side of house to basement (added on) and leading dwn to sidewalk. I'm in my 60's and still remember paper mache classes and projects (3rd or 4th grade) but can't remember recipe or whether paper mache would be the proper foundation material to use.  Are there any other forms that can be used for this? Would welcome any and all suggestions.  :cucumber:

Thanks

There are many ways to accomplish what you are looking to do. Builders foam (pink or blue) can be easily carved into rocks and landscape designs. You can easily attach flowers and trees and such right into it. Just don't use oil base spray paint as it "eats" into it. You can carve it with a knife, sand it, use a hot knife, saw it and so on.

Paperclay is a modern version of paper Mache. You can purchase it like blocks of clay at the craft store. It can be sculpted but it is pricey. It is easily painted and can be carved and sanded after it is dry.

Here is a recipe I have used from MiniModPod. She gives direction for using the newspaper. In this tutorial she bakes hers flat because she is looking for stones but it doesn't have to be done flat. You can mush it into whatever shape you want. It is probably the least expensive method but the messiest and longest to finish due to all the drying times.

Good luck. Post pictures when you are done please.

• Like 1

Xavier, if you can get your hands on an old food processor I've read that one paper mache recipe is to tear newspaper sheets into strips and put them into rapidly boiling water and stir them until they start to fall apart; drain them and put some of the mess into the food processor about half full and add white glue (NOT school glue) and whiz it until it's the consistency of bread dough.  Keep it in a ziplock plastic bag in the fridge when not using it.  For landscaping the technique I learned in school is what I'd probably use:  wad newspaper into the rough shapes you want and cover them with strips of torn newspaper dipped in wallpaper paste, smoothing it as you go, and build up several layers, letting the mess dry every three or four layers, until it looks like what you want.  You can sand any roughness off.