Dollhouse Party for a 6-year-old

Sheesch .... and here I thought I did a big deal for the little guy, inviting 2 of his friends over to play Legos, be Superheros, and have some snacks for a couple hours one afternoon. Guess I'm not in the swing of things by the looks.

• Like 2

At first I thought this was a Barbie-sized dollhouse, and I was thinking the dolls look so realistic. Now I realize the dolls are really children on an amazing backyard play structure. I am wondering if Tati also got a miniature dollhouse for her birthday.

:lol: I'm wondering what they'll do with the "dollhouse" when she grows another 6 inches.

I am wondering what they will do with the dollhouse in a rain storm. Will they cover it? Move it inside a garage? Repair any damages?

• Like 3

I'm counting my blessings I am poor and raised 2 boys who were happy to have a few friends over for a sleepover with pizza, popcorn,and rental movies!! Do people just not think these things through,or are they so rich it'll just be a throw away when she outgrows it-?!?

• Like 1

I'm counting my blessings I am poor and raised 2 boys who were happy to have a few friends over for a sleepover with pizza, popcorn,and rental movies!! Do people just not think these things through,or are they so rich it'll just be a throw away when she outgrows it-?!?

I wouldn't attempt to guess what motivated a party like that. It could be that the family has money, but that's not necessarily true for everyone who spends a fortune on their kids, whether it be for a practical reason or not.

I have to confess to watching reality shows featuring child beauty pagaents, not so much to see the kids, but to see how ridiculous some of the parents are. I am amazed that some people would actually go into debt to put their very young daughters in beauty pageants. One mother spent $1,700 on her daughter's dress when the top prize was only $1,000. So even if her daughter won, she would be down $700 just on the dress. If they are going to waste this amount of money on something like this, then what are they going to do when their daughters want to go to college?

But getting back to the party, my first impression was that the little girl liked dollhouses or wanted a play house, and the family just got carried away because maybe she's an only child or grandchild. I'm sure it was a lovely party, but while some parents feel they have to outdo one another or keep up with appearances, I would have no problem giving my kid a sleepover with pizza, popcorn, and rental movies - even after attending a party like this one. And I am sure every kid at Tati's party would enjoy a party like the one you gave your boys just as much.

• Like 1

I guess I came off blaming the little girl,when I'm just puzzled at how some parents overindulge their children with their checkbooks. I am a person of moderation,by choice of my income bracket and by the way I was raised. Sure,I'm human-who wouldn't want to have money to burn?! But I don't think I'd go this nuts route,even if I had the money. A cute little playhouse would (or at least,should) have made that little girl and her friends just as happy-just might not have made the internet,but...

For all we know the family could have built/ made the playhouse and party favors. I thought it was an original idea for a birthday party theme and the 6 year old scale dollhouse will make a nifty playhouse for a happy little girl until she outgrows it or loses interest over time; it's what other children do with their toys, however expensive they are.

If I read the site correctly, this is in the Philippines. That dollhouse/ playhouse will attract and entertain that little girl and her friends for quite a while.

Kat, I didn't think you were blaming the little girl or her family at all for what obviously looks like an overindulgence. You were simply expressing what most of us were thinking, and that is what is the story behind such an extravagant party. I was comparing this party to the one you gave your boys, and in my opinion and experience, kids just want to have fun. Therefore, I rate your parties and this one as having the same value.

Holly, I also believe from the article that this house is in the Philippines, and I am wondering if the party occurred before or after that deadly storm they got not too long ago. Therefore, I am wondering what they would do with this house when it rains. The house is adorable, but it is not enclosed, and I can picture those little chairs flying away.

I have no problems with people buying or making something for their kids that is in their budget, but this would be something I would need to think through carefully. I happen to love the party's theme, but I would probably opt for something I felt was more durable or easier to maintain.

• Like 1

I worked for home builders for many years. One year we participated in a cancer charity build of 5 playhouses. They were 2 stories and built with treated plywood, real roofing materials, windows and exterior paints (all donated) so they could withstand the elements. I think the one with air conditioning went for $8000.

• 2 weeks later...

That's what I was thinking, when the little girl outgrew it, they could have just sold it/passed it on (depending on their budget). Or kept it for the grandkids! Assuming, of course, it withstood any way it was handled- either by child or, as rackey pointed out, the weather.

That plate looked delicious- and convincing. It took me a minute to figure out if they were real cakes because they were sitting on chairs. Interesting plates!

And Selkie, I concur. Do your best within your means and your child will be happy. Even if they aren't, they'll just have to make do and appreciate the effort any way. It's good for character. Where else will they learn gratitude? ;)

• Like 2