Found A Dollhouse, Fixed It Up, Need Help!

karlyholmes

Morgansmith, I actually have like 1000+ sheets of scrapbook paper in my garage from when I had time to scrapbook lol. And yes I don't think I will ever pull out the floors, it will likely stay a "doll" house not a Barbie house. We will get to Barbies eventually but for now I think that removable paper walls will be a hit and are a good option for our current needs!

I appreciate everyone's input!! I will post with updates as we make choices :)

• Like 2

I went with adding some scrapbook paper with double sided tape. Even with careful measurements, I had gaping in places. Has taught me a lot about measuring and cutting!!! Anyways, I am really pleased with how cute the house looks now. I think it is the perfect solution for a toddlers dollhouse. Thanks for the idea Morgansmith :)

post-60949-0-55487700-1400823541_thumb.j

• Like 3

Karly,these papers are delightful! Yep,Morgan has a lot of great ideas!:) So glad for you and I know your little darling will have a great time with her 'new' house!:)

• Like 1

Karly fantastic! That house looks like something a little girl would LOVE. As for the gaps...borders! Cut borders out of other papers. Perfect solution.

Another great thing I just discovered recently. Felt squares (not square, more like 8 x 11) come in all kinds of beautiful patterns now. Leave whole for carpet and big rugs or cut up for smaller rugs. You can layer felts or blanket stitch edges if you want or just leave as is. You can also use acrylic paints to stencil on felt.

And thank you for the compliment. You really did a beautiful job and deserve all of the credit. You even had paper :)

• Like 1

She saw it this morning and was really excited about the butterfly paper! It made me so happy to imagine the fun she's going to have shoving all kinds of toys in there and imagining them "living" happy in their house. This coming week we will be getting some Calico Critters to come inhabit the rooms. The borders are a great idea Morgan! You really are full of them lol. I will probably just use the adhesive dots/zots to put up some trim. That will look nice. I haven't committed to flooring yet but I do also have some felt so I will see how I feel about it when we get some tenants ;)

• Like 2

Okay so here is what I did at naptime today lol. I "fixed" the gaps in the paper with borders as you suggested Morgan and WOW what a difference I see! Im almost reluctant to let her play with it even though its not perfect. However, she isn't a rough player in general so I think it will hold up for a little while :) So the rooms from top left to right going down are: Neutral bedroom, Boys pirate bedroom, parlor/formal room, girls butterfly room, laundry room- bugs and flowers, master bedroom, pastel dots nursery, trees living room, blue gingham bathroom, yellow kitchen, dining room. Now, I am not a big fan of the kitchen but maybe once I get some furniture in there, it will spice it up otherwise I will probably rip it out and try another color/pattern. Whew! And I realize she is going to move the rooms around, that's just the layout plan :) Thanks for watching me bumble my way through my first paper job, people on YouTube make it look too much easier than it is... my hats go off to all of you who have pristine looking houses!! I hope for it to be me one day.

post-60949-0-34074100-1400881970_thumb.j

post-60949-0-06119500-1400881978_thumb.j

post-60949-0-83041900-1400881984_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I love the creative suggestions for the rooms. What about a school room? I know when I was little like Ruby was in awe of school and wanted to recreate the school scene with my dolls - just a thought. You could also take into consideration things Ruby loves and maybe do a "pinkalicious" room for example.

How exciting for you!

• 3 weeks later...

KariW I had thought about taking out the middle shelves but am worried about my skills at removing them, and also not sure how I feel about changing it around. And not sure about how to smooth out what is left on the walls after removal!

Cut it out and sand it down. You can use wood filler to smooth it down and no one will ever be the wiser. You have to be brave with the tools. Go for it!!! ;)

I love the paper work you did. The minis will be great for her for a few years. She will have endless fun and you can also have a plan for later when the barbies do come into play. What a wonderful gift you are giving her. Just think, you may also be planting the " I can make that" bug!! Way to go mom!!!

I would knock out the middle floors and give yourself 12' ceilings to work with personally, it looks like you have a floor running through your main floor window :) I say this because it's fewer rooms to furnish, but they can be much grander.