Personality pictures

Selkie

This is the way DH sees me --

CJ, I love this one. My grands think that some times.

Thanks, everyone, for your reviews of these single-serving coffee makers -- and the coffee itself. The last thing I need to consider is that we all drink iced coffee -- and that in a 12-oz. glass at that.

Sandy, the coffee maker we got my son can make up the large mugs or small ones. The pods have enough coffee in them to accommodate up to a 16 oz. coffee. It just depends on how much water you put in. There are settings on the name brand one for the size you want to brew and some store water in the back all hot so your cup brews instantly.

The off brand just has you pour more water in. Ours doesn't store water. We put it in fresh every time. We used a measuring cup to pour it in. The stand at the bottom can hold a cup, a mug or a travel mug and all fit underneath the spigot.

You can get the coffee at any grocery store or department store. You can get it at drugstores even.

• Like 1

DH & I drink most of our coffee in the AM and we use a French press pot that makes three hearty mug-sized servings, which is just right; when DS#3 visits we simply take out a second press pot and he drinks it all by himself. I have a cosy that goes around the one we use in the RV, but the pots generally keep the coffee hot enough to drink without it. We never get the burnt flavor we used to get with the drip pot. I have an electric kettle to heat water for coffee, tea or chocolate. We even have a single-cup size press pot.

Loverly, huh? Oh how I'd like to say, "count me in!"

I thank you all again for your caffeine input. I guess I'll have to give it a try to see if making a large brew (as in a 12 oz cup -- plus lots of ice) won't make the coffee too weak. It sure won't be the first hundred bucks I've parted with for something that spent its life on a shelf in the closet! Nah, I'm being too pessimistic. I think it'll work just fine, and I'll let you know (and probably thank you all again) !

Oh, wait. Canada, Barb? As you may have guessed by now, I'm a bit sensitive to temperature (hah!), so... where in Canada and how hot/cold does it get? Or, is this to be a mythical trip, perhaps using our avatars -- I sure can do that!

Riding Mountain National Park in Manitoba. I can't convert but summer temps are in the low 20s to low 30s. I find 23-26 most comfy, most comfy indeed.

The spa is at the Elkhorn Resort

Actually it is open year round but I am not sure many of my Amurrican friends here could cope with -40 winter. I barely can and I grew up here. :bigwink:

unless of course we have some Alaskans, North Dakotans or Minnisotans.... :bigwink::bigwink:

PS. Heidi, I think the tights are adorable !!!!!

Why thank you for noticing Selkie. I needed that today. To be acknowledged. I hope all is well with you today. :throb:

I checked out the Keurig models (and pricing) last night after getting into bed with my iPad. There's only one that gives you a 12-oz serving, and that one is $189.00!! It does come with a 12 pack of assorted coffee pods (a $7.00 value? Whoopee! Not). We'll see. My daughter thinks I'm nuts, and she's right, of course!

I, too, love the tights! Mind you, it took me a while to find them, but find them, I did! Tricky, tricky, tricky!

I also went through your galleries (in search of tights, but found so many other goodies), Heidi. Nice work!!!

• Like 1

Holly, are these one-shot deals like the pods? Now that my daughter is here with me (guys, help me hope that she finds a teaching job here and can stay!!!) and she drinks strong coffee, I thought I'd get one of these pod coffee makers so that I'd have the choice of flavors with, literally, next to no work involved!

You can get at least two 12 oz servings out of a press pot. You want a different flavor, dump the old grounds, rinse out the pot and put in the fresh grounds, add boiling water, give it 4 minues' steeping/ brewing time and you have excellent strong coffee that isn't bitter. The size we use takes three coffe-measure scoops of ground coffee. And if I have whole beans, I process them about twelve seconds in the grinder to get a nice grind for the press pot.

That's about what I do with the coffee maker I have now. I can make up to 12 cups in it (if we have friends in, as we often do), but that's not what I'm looking for. I wanted the variety of flavors, without buying a pound of coffee in a given flavor (that I'd wind up tossing if I didn't like it). I wasn't just looking for a good coffee maker to replace what I have; I have a couple of good coffee makers, in fact. It was the idea of what the Keurig (et al) did that intrigued me, which is why I'd asked for reviews! Thanks, Holly, for the suggestion. I always appreciate your advice ;~)!

I checked out the Keurig models (and pricing) last night after getting into bed with my iPad. There's only one that gives you a 12-oz serving, and that one is $189.00!! It does come with a 12 pack of assorted coffee pods (a $7.00 value? Whoopee! Not). We'll see. My daughter thinks I'm nuts, and she's right, of course!

The ones we got are this version of the Hamilton Beach models and they were from Walmart for 39.00 (yes thirty-nine) and they make up anything from a tiny cup of espresso to a 16 oz coffee travel mug from one coffee pod. The ad says it makes up to 10 oz but we routinely make 12 oz because that's the size of our morning coffee mugs and our travel mugs are 16 oz. We just use a measuring cup to pour the water in so we are sure of the amount. The coffee strength is more to do with what you choose to put in. As I said, REVV will blow your socks off !!

• Like 1

Selkie, how clever this Hamilton Beach unit is, and significantly less than the price of the Keurig I had my eye on. Plus, it'll make a whole pot of coffee for those times it's called for. Definitely in the running, maybe at the top of the list. Hand wash? What's that? I seem to recall that phrase -- right up there, along with ironing, Debra! Hmm. I'll let you know what I decide on, but I must say that one of the Keurig reviews had that model reviewed as making nasty, bitter-tasting coffee. I don't think that's what I had in mind!

..... but I must say that one of the Keurig reviews had that model reviewed as making nasty, bitter-tasting coffee. I don't think that's what I had in mind!

Well, Sandy, maybe our family is just too un-classy with our coffee tastes so we don't notice. :giggle:

Seriously, we drink it for the caffeine in the morning and then we're done. Most of the time I take three scoops of instant coffee and throw it in a cup and I'm good to go - enough caffeine and less water to have to make any extra trips to the bathroom. :whistle:

I am definitely NOT a connoisseur, of it. So it might be yucky and I wouldn't necessarily have ever known that. :imstupid:

I'm blissfully ignorant and will probably stay that way. It's more economical to be a country bumpkin. :rofl:

• Like 3

Selkie, how clever this Hamilton Beach unit is, and significantly less than the price of the Keurig I had my eye on. Plus, it'll make a whole pot of coffee for those times it's called for. Definitely in the running, maybe at the top of the list. Hand wash? What's that? I seem to recall that phrase -- right up there, along with ironing, Debra! Hmm. I'll let you know what I decide on, but I must say that one of the Keurig reviews had that model reviewed as making nasty, bitter-tasting coffee. I don't think that's what I had in mind!

Uh, Sandy, this was Keurig reviewing their competition?

Well, Selkie, it seems that I'm just as un-classy as you are! I drink coffee for the caffeine!!! Duh! That's why I just cannot understand how or why anyone drinks decaf! What's the point??? I drink it in the morning with my breakfast and it lasts until it's finished. Definitely is an eye opener.

I've just been getting tired of the same old, same old -- or maybe it's because my daughter likes it so strong. I used to drink a MUG of espresso in the morning -- strong enough so that the spoon stood up in it (or so they said!), but not any longer. I just want a new taste that will also make my eyes pop open faster in the morning. I am not a connoisseur either, nor do I want to be. I know what I like and I like what I know. Maybe hazelnut. Maybe French vanilla. Maybe just a little of each so that I can change every morning for something new without feeling guilty about wasting it.

Of course we know what yucky tastes like!!! And if a major reviewer like CNN Reports says that in a review, well, it's certainly enough to make me think twice (even though I strongly disagree with most of their other editorial stances!!!!!).

And you are NOT stupid or ignorant! I will fight anyone who says so -- even you, silly lady!

• Like 1

When we bought our kuerig at Christmas, it was a special buy for 99.00 and it came with 6 assorted pods. The regular price was 149.00. I have never had any problems with odd or bitter tastes in the coffee. Ours has a 48 oz water tank and I believe it will brew a 6, 8, or 12 oz cup in about 1 minute. There are so many different types of pod drinks available.

Well, Selkie, it seems that I'm just as un-classy as you are! I drink coffee for the caffeine!!! Duh! That's why I just cannot understand how or why anyone drinks decaf! What's the point??? I drink it in the morning with my breakfast and it lasts until it's finished. Definitely is an eye opener.

Had to give up caffeine after the "heart event." Talk about withdrawal! Took me three weeks, but the decaf isn't bad. . .it just doesn't wake you up.

• Like 1

Yes, of course, Gloria, I do realize that many people just love their coffee and, even if they have to forego the caffeine, they enjoy it enough to drink decaf! I used to be one of those... I never had a problem with caffeine, and still don't (unless I drink it near bedtime). I'm just getting tired of coffee, I guess, and looking for variety!

Oh wait up guys! Keurig didn't write the review. Cnet wrote this independent review about the Keurig model I had thought I'd settled on -- not the Hamilton Beach model that Selkie suggested and which, especially because of that lousy review, looks so good by comparison!