The Help

rodentraiser

Anybody seen that movie? While they didn't show much of the old houses, what they did show was awesome (in my opinion). I loved the pantry and kitchen, and that lovely entry and staircase (drool) with all the furniture on the landings in Skeeter's house and Celia Foote's kitchen was to die for. I know it looked awkward, but I just loved it. Something about the fireplace, the ceiling, and those windows just made me want to live there. Someday I'd like to make a miniature of that kitchen. sigh

I have seen that movie about 20 times. I am fascinated by the couches and such on the landings. I mean, why would anyone sit on a landing? There are so many 'rooms'. I look at all the other houses and think - I had those pictures in my living room, my neighbor had that color kitchen, my grandmother had exactly the same dishes.....

I love older homes, and I loved reading The Help. All throughout the book I kept thinking this would make a great movie, so I was all excited when the film was released.

I don't remember much about the houses in the movie, except for Skeeter's bedroom, which I thought was cute. I think I was too engrossed in the storyline, otherwise I would have remembered the houses more. When I was reading the book, I was trying to visualize Ceila's home, as it sounded like a great old Southern plantation. The next time I see the movie, I will take better notice of the houses.

I loved the book. The 1950s/60/70s are not my fave area for fashion or home decor, and to be honest the harshness of the movie story line was so hard for me to take, so I didnt really notice the home decor! I think somehow I toned down the racism when I read the book.....

However, for home decor I DID notice, Apollo 13 had some wild 1970's living rooms!

I do love the art deco look from the 1920s and 30s, but my fave decade is the Edwardian period!

Maureen, it's when I do Minny's house that I'll show the cream pie! I also loved Aibileen's house. It was small, but you could tell it had architectural details in it and there was even a fireplace. And her stove! That's the kind of stove I want in real life. I'm dying to have that stove. Save me, please! I have a stove I'm making for the Hofco house (which still needs a name) and I'm thinking of making it like that.

Kelly, I didn't know you were doing Minnie's house too! I thought that since Minnie worked for Ceila, Ceila might ask her to make a pie to send to Hilly.

Barbara, now that you mentioned it, I think I toned down the racism too when I read the book, although I wonder now how that was possible. I think my mind focused on the women telling the story more than the outside world they were living in. Now I am determined to see it again for the houses.

I read the book; I grew up with the racism, Jim Crow was alive and well in the19402 and early 1950s, and I despised it! so I truly enjoyed the book. I haven't seen the movie. I also recently read The Secret Life of Bees and August's house would be an interesting build.

Maureen, I was just kidding, I'm not really doing Minny's house. I would like to do AIbileen's kitchen one day though.

The racism would bother me so bad if I lived in the South in those times. I get all snarky about people putting down the homeless as it is.

I read a great book about the civil rights movement during the 50s - it's almost like a biography of Martin Luther King. It's by Ben Haas and it's called "Look Away, Look Away".

• Like 2

...The racism would bother me so bad if I lived in the South in those times...

It did bother me to the point that I asked my stepdaddy once if he knew any other terms for people of color that didn't begin with "N". My mother's reaction was not nice, but I quickly learned to keep my smarta** remarks to myself.

• Like 1

LOL Holly.

In 1969 when my sister was born in MB, a social worker was sent in to every First Nations newborn baby's room after the birth to assess the fitness of the mother.

When *my* mother realized that was what this woman was about, she exploded in eight different directions.....

Yes,Deana,thanks,that was it-I hesitated,because I didn't want to offend you,Kelly,as I sure am not faultless at typing-I hunt and peck and take for-ev-er to type one short post!lol But,considering it was Dr.King's name,I thought I should mention it. Should have been more specific,and I hope you weren't offended,dear lady!

We all make punctuation errors and spelling errors. I usually see them once I post, but I almost never go back and correct them because I assume anyone reading it knows what I mean. Plus, we have all finished grade school and these are not business letters, so there are no demerits for errors. Thank goodness.

• Like 2

Well,if it had been anyone else but Dr. King,in context with what was being said about the book,and anything but 'kink',maybe I would have (or should have) kept my silly mouth shut!LOL Like I said,I am not faultless and again,I didn't mean to offend you,Kelly. It sounds like it is a wonderful book,that I have noted for a future read...

Considering we are read by so many people all over the world,not just the USA,I just like to be sure to be clear-sometimes typos destroy the meaning of a sentence,especially if,for example,you're giving someone a recipe or instructions on making something-as we often do here.

I think it can be very important years later,because sometimes the Forum member is long gone and you can't ask them what they meant. Sorry if I offended anyone,and made too big a deal out of this. I am just trying to be helpful,in the long run-luckily you have the option to just ignore me like my sons do!lol By the way,I made several typos as I wrote this,but I do not want you to see them!lol Okaaaay,I will stop hijacking the original topic now! :zipped:

• Like 1

It certainly makes you think twice about eating home-baked chocolate anything from someone you don't get along with...

It's one of the reasons I'm always extra polite to wait staff in restaurants. For one thing they have a really hard job but they also get to handle my food before I see it and one should always be nice to someone who handles your food or your money.

• Like 1

I HATE going out with anyone who is fussy about their food at a restaurant (unless, like the steak is still mooing). I know you want what you are paying for, but some people go over the top!

And why the heck would anyone ever accept food from someone they didn't like? I just don't have that much trust. I also won't eat food from a home kitchen I haven't seen.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the book on my holds list at the library for a few weeks now. I haven't sen the movie yet either. I usually read the book then watch the movie. Movies are never as good as the book. !!

I haven't read the book being referred to or seen or heard or it or the movie but I had to respond to these comments. Hope I'm not out of line since I'm not acquainted with the original topic.

It's one of the reasons I'm always extra polite to wait staff in restaurants. For one thing they have a really hard job but they also get to handle my food before I see it and one should always be nice to someone who handles your food or your money.

Ah, yes, this is exactly why I don't like to go out to eat. My family gets so upset with me, but I'd much rather stay at home where I know how it was prepared.

And why the heck would anyone ever accept food from someone they didn't like? I just don't have that much trust. I also won't eat food from a home kitchen I haven't seen.

And this is why I don't like to purchase food from a bake sale in front of the supermarket or go to a pot luck supper. E-e-e-e-ewwww!

... I usually read the book then watch the movie. Movies are never as good as the book. !!

Me too !! Always prefer to make my own movies out of my imagination first - I always prefer mine. They ruined the Lord of the Rings, imo. Gollum does not look anything like that in MY movie. hahahahahahaha

• Like 1

...They ruined the Lord of the Rings, imo. Gollum does not look anything like that in MY movie. hahahahahahaha

None of the characters look anything like MY "movie", either, except Merry & Piippin, and Treebeard. I missed Tom Bombadil and Goldberry, and Glorfindel.

• Like 1

Oh,I saw both "Help" and "The Secret Life of Bees" and bought both books! I liked the "farm-housey" type dwellings in both movies. I adore Arts +Crafts when I'm not dreaming of Tudor style. There's much in this world that is wrong and unfair...that's why I like to create my own small worlds. All my little people get along just fine. :)

• Like 1

I've had the book on my holds list at the library for a few weeks now. I haven't sen the movie yet either. I usually read the book then watch the movie. Movies are never as good as the book. !!

In this case, the movie is basically just a little different than the book. Actually, I think the movie flows better, but it's still very much the same as the book and I think it's a terrific movie.

• Like 1

Well,if it had been anyone else but Dr. King,in context with what was being said about the book,and anything but 'kink',maybe I would have (or should have) kept my silly mouth shut!LOL Like I said,I am not faultless and again,I didn't mean to offend you,Kelly. It sounds like it is a wonderful book,that I have noted for a future read...

Considering we are read by so many people all over the world,not just the USA,I just like to be sure to be clear-sometimes typos destroy the meaning of a sentence,especially if,for example,you're giving someone a recipe or instructions on making something-as we often do here.

I think it can be very important years later,because sometimes the Forum member is long gone and you can't ask them what they meant. Sorry if I offended anyone,and made too big a deal out of this. I am just trying to be helpful,in the long run-luckily you have the option to just ignore me like my sons do!lol By the way,I made several typos as I wrote this,but I do not want you to see them!lol Okaaaay,I will stop hijacking the original topic now! :zipped:

Oh, heck, I just saw that typo and I don't think I can change it now. I am just a dyslexic typer, is all. I really would like to go back and fix that. How can I do that?

• Like 1