These are a few of my favorite things.......

Deb

That song started going thru my mind early this morning and I'll explain why in a minute, but it got me to thinking about how it's so true that some of the greatest pleasures in life are the simple ones that bring us little moments of joy. Stroking a cat's fur while it purrs, having your teenager give you an unexpected hug, finding the teeny piece of wood trim you thought was lost forever just when you need it, hearing a song that always puts you in a good mood, a scent that triggers a happy memory..........those are the kind of little joys that make life so precious. One of my favorite blogs used to be 1000 Awesome Things because it was all about those tiny celebrations of life that we sometimes forget to celebrate in the rush of daily life.

I thought it would be kinda cool to have a place where everyone feels comfortable with sharing their joy, no matter how small it might seem. After all, we're definitely the group of people who can appreciate even the smallest things but we're also artists and as artists, we naturally focus on the details of life and by doing so, our spirits thrive. This is one of those threads that we can keep going as we post little happy moments when they occur but the best thing is that when we share one of our joys, it will bring joy to our friends when they read it. Happiness shared = happiness multiplied. <grinning> How cool is that?

So here's what started my train of though this morning: I love sitting on the patio in the predawn hours because it's the one time of day when it seems like the whole world is asleep and it's just me and the stars. Leaning back in a comfortable rocking chair with my head resting on a pillow, I gaze up at the sky and watch how the stars shimmer and if you look close enough, you can see the different "colors" of white in each one. And then in the deepest silence of the night comes the sound of a rooster crowing at the farm down the road. He's very good at his job because shortly thereafter, the sun begins to light up the sky with gold and pink and red and then vivid blue. Watching a baby day being born is one of the sweetest moments of the day.

I have one more to share from last night: One of my favorite things at the end of the day is to slip into a white cotton nightgown fresh from the laundry that still smells faintly of bleach and then snuggling into sheets from the same load of laundry. It's like going to sleep on a cloud of fresh, clean air.

Simple pleasures, precious moments, little joys, happy thoughts..........what are yours today?

• Like 5

I had a hummingbird buzz my head before going to a feeder. I would like to think he was saying thank you.

One of my precious japanese maples is struggling hard to survive after last winter. I went to clean under it and found a dozen babies coming up. I smiled because if I do lose it, I will have all her children to fill the space.

I went to do some laundry and for the first time that I can remember, the washer was empty and ready to go and I didn't have to rewash a load I had forgotten to put in the dryer a week ago.

• Like 5

I've uploaded three things that are my favorites - the moon, reflections (aka sparkles), and the water.

From my nighttime wanderings - love to watch the moon travel across the night sky.
This one shows a cool reflection in the window glass that toys with my brain.

Sparkling sunlight on a crisp cold morning right after a fresh snowfall.

The dazzle of the sun on the water almost hypnotizes me.

• Like 4

Listening to the night noises start up at the end of a day (crickets, frogs, bats, owls,,,). Spotting mushrooms today where there weren't any yesterday. Finding buds or baby berries on a formerly bare branch.

• Like 3

Watching the horses in the pasture after banging across country, and finally having my own farm. It's like a vacation every day to pull in the driveway after work, even if there's a repair to do on this old house, or snow to shovel, or grass to mow. It's bliss.

• Like 1

thank you for this post... and the replies.....

as I sat here with my laptop... hating the day I just had in a job I can't stand... this made me remember all the small things in life that do give me pleasure... this was a very needed post today... sorta like a little slap in the face and making me put the day I had behind me... and to be thankful for a job when so many are without....

Deb... your words painted pictures in my mind... :)

one of my favorite simple pleasures is the sunsets on my mountain with all the glorious colors filtering through the pine trees... the wildlife moving around... the deer, the bunnies... :)

and another is the smell of the earth after a spring rain :)

• Like 2

Being able to sit out on the front porch in my nightgown in the morning and watch the birds and squirrels at play;smiling at the rain because even though it's been pouring for hours,my poor little flower beds will welcome it and I can skip watering them a few days;laughing at the little racoon,wet from the rain,that showed up on the porch tonight,and peered at me curiously through the glass storm door; knowing I can sleep late tomorrow if I want,or get up early if I want,but that no one else will dictate my day.

• Like 2

Today my simple pleasures are the feel of wet dirt between my fingers when I'm planting flowers and reading about the things that make my friends smile. With every post, I learn something new about the people I care for.

• Like 1

Today has just started for me. I have the joys of a quiet house. Birdsong right outside my window. Deb, you know how I love those birds. I think I was Audubon in a past life. I really need a book of birds. I see so many but have no clue what they are. There is this dark grey smallish bird with a flared long tail. He hangs out in the yard. I saw him trying to capture a small garter snake. The snake put up a good fight but lost the battle. I just sat there and watched. I do not like birds in my house as pets though. Just outside.

• Like 1

Heidi, I'm still using my grandfather's copy of Peterson's A Field Guide to the Birds, although we also have the Audubon Socity Field Guide to North American Birds. The one our serious bird watchers & ornithologist friends use (that I wish we could afford!) is the Sibley Guide to Birds. We were paddling the Ochlockonee River in Tallahassee one day and spotted an American avocet, normally a shore bird; and neither of our field guides had a good enough picture to match the brief glimpse we'd had, of its back and flight (characteristic black "W" with the wings spread), since we never got to see its beak. The Sibley guide our friend showed us had perfect pictures.

• Like 2

Mornings are the best! Heidi, I'd have sat there with you and been fascinated with watching nature doing its thing. I love observing the natural world around me and learn from the balance that Mother Nature maintains. Holly, I have iBird on my laptop which has some cool search features and beautiful illustrations. I haven't used it as much as I should because I keep forgetting that I have it, but it's nice to have a reference of some kind for those "what are you?" birds.

I was sitting outside yesterday evening when I heard that sound that everyone knows............the tinkling of the ice cream truck. And as proof that some things never change, the chorus went up from every kid in the neighborhood........."Mom!!! It's the ice cream truck!" And in about half an hour, as further proof that some things never change, when the street lights came on, the chorus changed to "Time to go inside. See you tomorrow!" as the young ones took the same cue we took as children and the sound of skateboards, roller skates, and bikes echoed up and down the sidewalks as everyone headed for home.

• Like 3

I love to wake the kiddos in the middle of the night to go out and watch the meteor showers when they are on - huddled in our lawn chairs with a blanket and oohing and aahing.

• Like 3

Putting on a broomstick skirt and feeling it swirl around your legs when you walk. It makes me feel as if I really could fly. And when no one is looking, I still twiirl around to make my skirt flare out. It's just a girl thing.

• Like 2

We very very rarely hear a cricket here, but whenever I hear one it reminds me of great vacations at the cabin on the dunes by Lake Michigan. Hot summers, air conditioned car, lake breeze, visiting with Granny and usually another relative or two (we live in Europe so didn't happen that often!). Childhood bliss!

Thank you for this post. I loved hearing everyone's favorite things.

Lightning bugs... I loved them when I was a child. There were millions all over the yard, now we see very few. I used to catch a jar full, now my boys can barely catch 10. They are getting rare. We always let them go when it was time to go inside for the night.

I enjoy the mornings when I don't have to be at work. I get up at 3 am every morning, and read till 4. Wake hubby up, have a cup of coffe and watch the dreaded news, after hubby leaves for work befor the boys wake up, I enjoy reading on my tablet with the lights out and the windows open. It's so peaceful before the rest of the world wakes. We live on a busy street and hear cars, trucks, emergency vehicles all the time. I love the early morning when it's so peaceful.

My boys are 17 & 13 now so when I get a hug and kiss on the cheek from them, for no reason. I totally melt. They always seem to surprise me. My oldest came in from work the other night, grease from head to toe, and gave me a hug. He thought it was funny but I cherish those hugs. My youngest after a great play on the baseball field will give me a sweaty hug, I love it. I love the muddy, sweaty and greasy hugs they give me. They are both growing up so fast, I'm proud of both my boys.

Walking in the bathroom at 3 am to see our brown, breathing bathroom rug laying in the bathroom because it's tile and cool. She makes me smile every morning. She is our chow/ retriever mix, Maddie. LOL !

• Like 2