Flags

Bex

I need flags. I'm not sure how to go about getting them.

I'm in need of 3 Canadian and 2 American flags. I have swap packages to send out next month and I thought I would go with the Independence Day theme. (Canada Day is July 1.)

I was going to order them on Amazon, but I couldn't make it work. Either they were coming from 3 different sites or they were add-ons from Amazon- meaning I had to order a minimum of $25 non add-on items. What a pain!

So I'm thinking I could craft them- if I could figure out how. (I'd much prefer cloth to paper.) Or trading with someone on this site. In which case, I know I should have put in trading and not here, but I'm not sure how to handle this. I was hoping someone with experience could help me figure out the right route to go. I want to get it out ASAP after July 1, but I THINK it's due (latest) by July 15. If trading- well, maybe you can pm me and we can figure out the details there?

Sorry if this is the wrong spot for this. I used my best judgment based off of what I know (not much) to post this.

Over the years I have made a ton of flags - different sizes and styles. The larger full size ones were made out of cloth and felt.

For the mini ones, I collected pics from the internet and printed them on the iron on decal stuff and then ironed them on white cloth.

I did a front facing and a reverse print so the front and back would look right and then did a overlock stitch around the edge to keep it from fraying. Years later they are still going strong.

• Like 1

I see you are in Michigan, too--Meijers has packets of small flags (the kind on toothpick-sized sticks) in the party supply aisle. Party city has some too, if you have one in your area.

I went to Party City today. I think they're good, but...If you got a swap package and the flag was paper, would you still like it? If paper would work, I might also be able to find a pattern online for toothpicks (for Canada)- or make my own.

Also got a parasol... also paper. I intend to use them for beach umbrellas, and I think they'll do well. Hope they like what I send them. I'm so stressed that my packages won't be good enough. I'm new at swaps, so I don't know what to expect or how to SAFELY send something. Only what I see on YouTube. So nervous! Wish I'd gotten one package before needing to send one so I would have a better idea what to expect. Eeek!

Picked up a doll for size comparison and every thing seems to work out all right. (WOW! I didn't realize how small a 1:12 doll is!) Of course, she doesn't bend at the waist (she's meant to be a sales associate), so making a chair pattern will be a little harder. I wonder if there's a pattern on-line? I guess I could always check. A friend is also sending me dolls- hope they bend a little more. :p

Ooh! And I also managed to get a few horses... and a fish! Make a fish bowl/tank. For "horses", I got a pegasus for me (the only one I could find) and unicorns for the packages. Perfect size for a toy. Yipee!

To be clear, Party City was not the only place I shopped. Also stopped by FanToystic (the little animals $3.60) and ToysRUs (doll $6). I got the umbrellas and flags from Party City ($6).

If you have time you can replace the paper of the umbrellas with fabric; batiste or other light cotton is best. It's very hard to find 1:12 flags in fabric, and they don't drape, hang or wave like 1:1 ones, so paper is just fine, I'd think.

I'm not sure I want to replace the paper on the umbrellas, at least for my American friends. Yeah, it'd be nice to have cloth (and I did see how to do it on YouTube), but... they're very very festive with 4th of July theme. (Still need to take pics of my haul. I crashed/fell asleep. HARD. Just got up not too long ago.) Maybe I can change the Canadian ones to orange and white cloth though. I guess I was more concerned about the paper flags, though... Maybe I worry too much. :p

I can get you some flags. What size do you want? Obviously only Canadian ones....but I am not sure I can get them to you in time for Canada Day. In the meantime:

www.alittlepixel.com has a Canada day free banner and cupcake wrapper package you can download and print off.

By the by, did you know Canada Day was known as Dominion Day until 1982? It originally celebrated the Dominion of Canada, with the signing of Confederation in 1867. While it basically turned us into a self governing country.we were still a dominion under the jurisdiction of the crown. In 1982, under Trudeau, it was re-named Canada Day, and by 1982 the Confederation Act was repatriated...or just patriated....lol....to Canada. While we are still a part of the Commonwealth, we are no longer a Dominion, but a fully self governing country.

In 1982...I was 17!!!!!