The Westville

nuttiwebgal

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure... let's see...

This house has slide-in joins that are a very tight fit. I did the assembly by myself, but if you're dry-fitting and taking it back apart, you may want another set of hands with you. A small rubber mallet could also be useful.

Where the instructions say to angle second floor as you slide it in, that's tilting it front-to-back, not side-to-side.

There are lots of instructions on what to glue and what not to glue. Take them seriously. The weird joins mean you need some flex.

The second floor stair opening includes a slot that is necessary to the structure. If you decide to leave out the stair, you have to fill the rest of the opening, not just leave it unpunched. The stair rail is also part of the center downstairs wall. I haven't yet gotten up the nerve to grab the utility knife and thwack that off yet so I can fill in the opening.

You won't be able to paint the "outside" of the ornamental window frames after you've added the bays, so make sure you're happy with those first.

Once you glue on the roof, it becomes impossible to reach visible portions of the attic. Given how the roof comes down over those little windows and the porch, I'd do as much as possible to finish the exterior before gluing the roof on.

If you include all the windows and doors and stairs that are in the plan, the usable space for decorating is quite limited. This is great if you want to indicate an era with a few well-chosen furnishings -- more of a challenge with my preference for LOTS of furniture.

That said, the shell's actually pretty easy to assemble. I'm in limbo because I'm hoping DH will help me with skimcoating mine, and he's out of state during the week.

Skimcoating = putting on a thin layer of drywall compound (similar to spackle) to simulate a plaster finish. Hubby actually did it last night. Today, he gets to run a damp sponge over it, then sand it smooth. When it's all dry and cured, I'm going to paint it with flat interior white to match our living room walls.

While I know it's possible to use textured paint to simulate stucco, my kitbashing had left some odd dents, and assembly with hot glue tends to create gaps, so I wanted a surface treatment that covered and hid infelicities.

• 3 weeks later...

ok Ive been skipping ahead a bit and playing witht the front porch railings and post and as with the Glencroft beams I am losted. anyone have some photos?

Im going to go do the boring stuff like the foundation and bay window trims.

nutti :blink:

Nutti -- glad to see you are really into the Westville. It's a neat house -- even for bashing.

Unfortunately, I can't help with the railings since I have "remodeled" my porches and I am not using the supplied trim. It is very attractive trim, though.

:blink:

well I still havent started the porc or shutters but I did manage to get the foundation on and decorated the way I like...and have posted a new photo in the Westville album.

I was very pleased with the Printie for the foundation....just didnt print enough

but of course I didnt photo the area that doesnt have stones. :lol:

I still need help for putting porch together. :blink:

nuttie :lol:

It's looking great Nutti! Sorry I can't help with the the porch. We are not that far yet. Still haven't seen much of hubby, but hopefully this week will be better as it is supposed to be cooler. Yesterday it was 110 degrees on my front porch, in the shade, with 65% humidity ...

Hey Linda its bound to get cooler sooner or later!

and winter is comming so there will be those long nights with nothing to do but build dollhouses!

we have that humidity also and you know how hot that can make 100 degree weather. I try not to step outside. :lol:

dont worry bout my porch..Ill just muddle thru. :blink:

nutti :lol:

Hey Linda its bound to get cooler sooner or later!

and winter is comming so there will be those long nights with nothing to do but build dollhouses!

we have that humidity also and you know how hot that can make 100 degree weather. I try not to step outside. :lol:

dont worry bout my porch..Ill just muddle thru. :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm. Yes. Except that, Winter = heat .... need I say more? If this winter is anything like this summer has been, I won't see hubby then either. WWAAAHHHHHH!!!

LOL!

Yes, I didn't go outside much on Sunday either. Saturday was almost as bad, except that a breeze came down around 4:30-5p and cooled things off just a little. Not much, but when you are over 100, a little means a lot.

work aholic husbands I understand plus he also gets to help people in such a basic and needed way! heating and air guys are very important...I dont deal well with the heat!

now I have no problem with cold. :o

besides being well insolated I also am hot blooded. always wore and still do shorts yr round....of couse if its wet and I may get stuck and have to walk :lol:

I do own some sweats. my son is same way...only wears long pants if its wet in the cold. but the heat is not my friend!

I bet he finds his job rewarding on some days.

ya know sweet cheeks you could always join us other klutzes...ok just me :p

and have a go at it. lol.....I think it would be interresting.

I always have "nutti" things happen to me...ok I usually do it to myself. :blink:

but its always interesting and remember Hubby can fix anything you muck up!

stay cool! sending fresh breezes your way!....well ok got to find them first!! :o

Hey Peggi! thanks for commenting on my Piano. I thought it turned out rather well for a kit peice. it is from the Library set by Corona.

there could be better directions or some sketches but if you lay it all out before you... you can do it. it has 2 coats of black gloss paint and 1 coat of polyeurethane.

would that I had the skills of our Glen...but alas it is not to be!...

I shall endeaver to create by kits!

I really like the looks of the Corona kits...but hint to anyone...the Greenleaf kits were better specially the 56 peice set.

nutti :blink:

Nutti -- your house is coming along -- very attractive. I like the sage green color for the outside. The piano came out very well, also.

I haven't done very much with my Westville since family and real world matters keep interfering ... I have the roof done and most of the full length veranda and porch but no pictures.

The weather here has been hot and humid, but not as bad as Linda's weather.

:blink:

Nutti -- your shingles look very nice. The green tint doesn't show up in the picture. I used cedar shakes from HBS with the MinWax Pecan stain. They didn't come green, but even with those "shingles", the wood took the stain differently, so i have quite a range of tones.

Your shingles look good, Nutti!

I think these strips of shingles are a double-edged sword. On the one hand they're really easy to put on. But on the other hand, when you have color variation the roof comes out looking striped. If my shingles turn out to have such variation when I stain them, I might break them into individual pieces before applying. I'm considering buying some from HBS instead but I don't really like the shapes of any shingles they offer. I'd like to put on shingles shaped like the ones in the Fairfield (they kind of come to a point at the bottom) but I don't see anything like this in 1" scale.