The Westville

nuttiwebgal

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be the bay Holly! The one with the floor separate, the one in the room without the stairs.

Nutti, I was reading your blog and noticed you had some problem with floor sagging near the stairs?

Linda, I just looked at your Westville blog and you and Jimmie are Jamming! You are doing a great job. I love your wallpaper choice too. Is the trim outside blue? It was hard to tell from the picture. The picture of the house upside down looks fimiliar! I do that a lot too. Are you going to electrify this one?

yes I had some sagging in the middle...lack of support maybe

but I put something under the floor and than I put a gallon of paint in the attic and let the glue dry for 24 hours... no more sag.

nutti ;)

Is the trim outside blue? It was hard to tell from the picture. Are you going to electrify this one?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Tracy! The outside trim is teal, but I am not sure that I like it. I think it may be too dark, so I may change that to either a white or an olive green. Not sure yet. No, I'm not going to electrify it ....

Glad I'm not the only one who turns houses upside down to paint!

Glad I'm not the only one who turns houses upside down to paint!

Normally I lay my houses on their sides and paint the side that's topmost; however the lady who wants the Westville wants the clapboard siding (pray for me, this is the first house I've ever sided ;) ) so I may be joining the upsidedown housepainters' guild.

I may be joining the upsidedown housepainters' guild.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to the Guild Holly! You can do the siding! Just do a little at a time, and have several cans of paint or something on hand to weight it down while the glue dries! Jimmy draws lines (or at least he did the first time, but he didn't do it the second time) about 1/2 inch apart and uses that as a guide for the siding.

Did Jimmy seal the siding sheets before painting? (try saying that one three times fast...)

I'm not wild about the way the shingles curl up when I glue them on, and this siding is the same thin wood. My shingles do flatten out as they dry, but I also stain them on both sides before applying them. Since I'm painting the siding after it's glued on, I have visions of a curly house, and I don't think the buyer or I want that.

I ask because now is when I'm doing all the priming/ sealing/staining.

No, he didn't seal the siding before applying it. He applied it, glued it down real well and then weighted them down while they dried. For he the shingles, he tapes them down once he applies them until they dry.

and then weighted them down while they dried. For he the shingles, he tapes them down once he applies them until they dry.

I'm glad to hear that! My best flat weight is my old med-surg textbook :) ; always knew those nursing textbooks would be good for future use & reference!

I do the same thing with the wooden shingles, the really nice thing about the construction paper shingles was that they stuck down so nice they didn't seem to need taping ;)

Mini thanks to you & Jimmy for the info!

I actually have made some progress, and I will try to take some pictures today and undate my BLOG.

I have come to some conclusions based on me and building houses:

I can put roofing tiles/shingles on one at a time and have the patience and the ability for drawing straight line and cutting angles BUT I will NEVER again put siding on one strip at a time -- It was torture and I am not happy with how some of the areas look (thank heavens for landscaping! ;) :) .

Also, next house gets upgraded windows. I am lazy and like just sliding windows and doors in place. Plus window units hide a multitude of sins.

Anyway, all interior walls are painted and wallpapered. I have the pine flooring down on the first floor, and I am now gluing in the window frames on the inside. The front door is "hung" (tape hinges) and actually opens and closes! :) .

I am then going to stare at my "flying" staircase to see how I am going to do that .... it never ends ... but it is a cute house.

:D

I began gluing the risers onto the staircase this AM but don't know how far I'll get, I'm off to mentor for the HOSTS program in a bit & afterwards take DH to the Dr to see if what he has is gout (looks like it to me!) that's making us all mizzuble.

Judith, I feel the same way about siding. It's weird - I actually enjoy putting on shingles, but the siding... :D The Houseworks siding that comes in sheets costs a little extra, of course, but it's so worth it for me. I spent I about $25, I think, for one package, and that should be enough for the whole house. And it comes out looking really nice!

(Of course, I'm saving the siding that came with the Westville... never know what I might be able to turn it into later!)

I made a little progress last night - glued the third floor in. I'm ready to start wallpapering but can't do the upstairs rooms until the roof is on. I'm debating whether I want to try to leave the part of the roof that's over the master bedroom (on the right when you're facing the back of the house) removable, so it can be lifted off to see into the room more easily. What do you guys think?

Also, I decided not to do a closet in the master bedroom. It was making the room too small and the furniture too hard to arrange. Instead I'm going to put the dresser I bought on Saturday in the little alcove next to the stairs. I took pictures last night but they're still on the camera. Hope to update the blog tonight!

Did anyone put a back & shelves in the kitchen utility closet? It's much to small for the half-bath I'd originally thought about, but if I put a foamboard back and some craftstick shelves it might work. I made a frame for the closet door & another for the wall so I can hinge the door with chamois strips. OCD? Not me B) :D

It's two days later & I made a range surround out of foamboard and used a few more of the sandpaper "bricks" and a raw umber "wash" with white drybrush. As soon as it's dry I'll install it (I've installed its back already) and take a picture. I'm trying to get this roll done so I can start posting pictures on this blog.

I hope you don't mind my "borrowing" your idea, Linda, I'm also making a windowseat in the right bay. The way that floor is pieced there's no way to give it the same treatment as the rest of the floor and my lady getting this house will go absolutely nuts with the little "extras".

Wende -- what are you using as glue for the Spanish tiles?

Judith, when I did the tile roof on the half-scale teashop, I initially tried Duco model glue, since it's supposed to work on plastic. It has never yet worked on anything for me! So that time, I gave up and tried hot glue, which did much better.

...okay... I am doing trim today... when I actually work on the house, it takes just 15-20 minutes to make substantial progress... it's just getting my mind around the next step that's a challenge...