The Westville

nuttiwebgal

when I actually work on the house, it takes just 15-20 minutes to make substantial progress... it's just getting my mind around the next step that's a challenge...

That and trying to remember & then to figure out how to do the ideas that come to you while you're working on it. The house is really a cutie, isn't it?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That and trying to remember & then to figure out how to do the ideas that come to you while you're working on it. The house is really a cutie, isn't it?

It has a wonderful shape! Yeah, there is the tiny "How am I going to do that?" detail.

There's also the "help, there's a cat's head in the way" detail. I got started painting trim yesterday with an abundance of Cat Help.

My furball friend is of the canine persuasion, and has been an "outside" dog from birth, so I'm spared the "mama's little helpers" lol.

I have finally hit an aspect of dollhouse making I can honestly say I loathe: dollhouse wallpaper! It sags & stretches far more, scale-wise, than 1:1 wallpaper (because sometimes I use 1:1 wallpaper in my 1:12 houses). For what I want to do with the upstairs it's necessary.

My next trip out I must try to find one of those throwaway shopper newspapers, their incredibly unreadably miniscule type makes them perfect for lining the attic! :D

I had to disassemble the shelves I made for the kitchen & cut them down a further 1/8", Thank goodness I had not yet painted them. Right now the upstairs privacy wall to close the stairs off from the bathroom is drying in the gluing jig.

Linda, the windowseat turned out fairly well and solves the problem of the floor extension beautifully. Mini thanks for the idea.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got all my exterior windows done, and the roof has been completely shingled and stained. Although I put it in my blog, I want to tell y'all about my funny.

I took the house outside and put it on the table on the front porch to stain the shingles and left it there while the shingles were drying. Jimmy and I were sitting outside at the table and people kept riding by the house going up the hill and slowing down in front of their house. Then I noticed some of the same people coming back down the hill and slowing down in front of the house again, and I was thinking "what in the world are these people doing?" Then it hit me--they were eyeballing the Westville, LOL!

I completed the construction with the last row of shingles yesterday and "toning down" the roof & chimney, and today I updated all but the last two entries with pictures. My last entry is the how-to for the stove. The last pictures are on a new roll that I will finish when I start the Haunted House, probably in another week or so.

• 2 weeks later...

As soon as I finish reading the posts I'm off to add pictures to my Haunted House (not) blog and the last round of pictures to my Westville blog. I had a couple of pictures for my Glencroft, too; but the one of the bathroom (Chrysnbon) is mostly one of my fingers (haven't done THAT in a long time) ;) :D , so I'll retake that one :D:D

Then go drool over Judith's.

I had taken some "inspiration" pictures for my friend to give her some ideas for her house, so I did a virtual tour of the Westville with them, for a final blog entry.

I just want to say that everyone's Westvilles look awesome. With my vacation and some other things going on I have not had time to work on my minis in a long time (what happened to September?!) I'm inspired by what everyone else has done, though. I'll get there! I don't work as fast as the rest of you but it's the journey that counts, right? (Besides, now I can steal your ideas!) :D

• 5 weeks later...

Welcome back, Emily, I just finished the furniture for the Haunted House & when I make a stove & icebox for the kitchen I need to find the bathroom fixtures DH found me at Goodwill & make some cutains, and then I want to work on furniture & fixtures for my Glencroft pub. I haven't planned to touch the McKinley until we get back after Thanksgiving (DS#1 retires from the USMC the day before Thanksgiving, oorah! & gobble, gobble; DDIL is planning Turkey Dinner for a Third World village! :) )

My Westville customer was delighted with the kit windows & doors, if you want working windows measure the window openings in the kit and then use the measurements given in the HBS catalogue to order your windows/ doors (if you want), remembering the upgraded components are made to fit 3/8" plywood kits and Greenleaf uses 1/8", so you wil want to make shims (I use plywood scraps but you could use foamcore or cardstock, if that's what you have).