1980 Noel Thomas | The Tower House | #66 | Victorian

Aaron

Aaron, you got a mention on the Small House Press blog today. (Pat Thomas' blog.)

In case you're not checking in I thought I'd let you know—it just came in my email. Hope it helps!!

Yes, thank you for the heads up. :thumb:

• Like 1

Wow, you certainly have a fantastic collection on your hands. I'm thoroughly impressed with the precision and exquisite taste in furnishings that your mother had. She was a gifted miniaturist.

• Like 2

Aaron, I'm not sure what kind of advice to give you, but...

One option is to get in touch with Pat and Noel Thomas - maybe they know what you can do with it. Also, they might be able to give a realistic estimate.

There is a store in Torrance California that have/had? a Tower House - here is the link to their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/My-Dolls-House/120924037930780?fref=photo - maybe get in touch with them.

All in all, the house is worth big bucks. If you can realize a satisfactory sale - you might just throw in the furniture as a bonus. I looked at some of the furniture - a few are contemporary and easy to get anywhere - some I've not come across. I would focus on the house first and take it from there.

Good luck.

Also, if you are not able to sell it anytime soon, you might consider talking to your home insurance about extra coverage for it - just in case....

P.S: just found this: http://shop.mydollshouse.com/towerhouse30.aspx - offered for $9.600

• Like 1

Aaron, I'm not sure what kind of advice to give you, but...

One option is to get in touch with Pat and Noel Thomas - maybe they know what you can do with it. Also, they might be able to give a realistic estimate.

There is a store in Torrance California that have/had? a Tower House - here is the link to their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/My-Dolls-House/120924037930780?fref=photo - maybe get in touch with them.

All in all, the house is worth big bucks. If you can realize a satisfactory sale - you might just throw in the furniture as a bonus. I looked at some of the furniture - a few are contemporary and easy to get anywhere - some I've not come across. I would focus on the house first and take it from there.

Good luck.

Also, if you are not able to sell it anytime soon, you might consider talking to your home insurance about extra coverage for it - just in case....

P.S: just found this: http://shop.mydollshouse.com/towerhouse30.aspx - offered for $9.600

Hi Soapz,

Thank you for the detailed reply! I was able to speak with Pat Thomas last week. She provided some really good info regarding the house and it's history and rarity but wasn't able to offer any insight into actual value of my house. She did point me in the right direction though and I've been obsessing over this stuff over the last week. Researching online, calling miniature auction houses, appraisers, chatting with people from all over the world via email etc.

I've always known that my moms work and this house was special but now I realize how truly remarkable it is.

Funny you bring up mydollshouse.com in Torrance. I have the shop owners coming by this Sunday to view the house and collection.

I've looked at http://shop.mydollshouse.com/towerhouse30.aspx many times online and I've viewed it in person once. It's really nice! I must say though, if my moms house was 100% completed as she envisioned it, it would be on another level compared to Tower House #30, and that's my honest unbiased opinion. (but don't get me wrong #30 is an amazing dollhouse no doubt about it!)

Tower House #30 $9,600. (Furniture not included)

Based on that I think $10,000 for my Tower House and entire collection would be a fair price. I took into consideration that my Tower House is not 100% completed, yet the craftsmanship and materials used in what has been completed is of the highest standard. On top of that I am including an extensive collection of fine miniature furniture, building materials, tools and supplies so I think 10k is a good deal.

I'd like to hear what you all think about my price point. Too low? Too high? On point? Want to buy it?

Thank again everyone for all the feedback and advice!

Edited by Aaron

A moderator or administrator will have to weigh in here, but I don't think we're supposed to discuss prices on the forum.

Oops, sorry moderators. Please delete or edit my post if needed.

A moderator or administrator will have to weigh in here, but I don't think we're supposed to discuss prices on the forum.

We've discussed pricing before, Holly. How to estimate the value of our work is a valid topic for discussion, It isn't like Aaron is trying to sell it to one of us for a specific price.

That said, I think $10,000 is probably in the ballpark for a retail price, but if someone like the shop owners make an offer, it's going to be about 30-60% of that, 'cause they need to make a profit and an unfinished house with or without furnishings may take a while to sell. And don't forget that $9,600 is the asking price for the other house, not necessarily what it will eventually sell for.

Aaron, I agree with Kathie that 10K is probably a great price for your house. Let me point what could decrease that amount - things that you need to consider to avoid being disappointed:

- If you sell to a dealer - I think you will be lucky to get half - like Kathie said: they want to make money and it might sit for quite some time and it is unfinished.

- A collector will want a completed house - not all of them are builders.

- A builder will argue the time it will take to finish to reduce the price. Also, the builder would have to be highly skilled to finish it without decreasing the value.

- While you might have the parts to finish it - a house of that quality will need the interior to be of a quality that fits. We are talking lots of money....

I'm just saying this so you won't be disappointed on Sunday. You need to sit down and think about your bottom line. What is the minimum you can live with - 'cause that's what they will offer. They might give you an offer for the furniture - are you willing to sell that and hold out with the house? They might not take one without the other, or they take on but not the other.

It's hard to say what will happen. If I were you I would also inquire overseas - If I remember correctly there is a website in the UK for the high-priced ones - maybe someone from there could help you out with the web-address.

You might also inquire about a freight company that could ship overseas to get a rough idea. I believe that someone who is willing to purchase a house for 10k would also be willing to add another thousand for freight. (Should be less than that - my 20 ft container from Germany to US was roughly 4K....)

Keep us posted - if you need any more suggestions/advice/support let us know.

You're right, Holly, but international freight is different. For a house like that I would use a crate and ship it as a shared container load - it will still be expensive but it should arrive safe.

I don't think USPS and friends ship anything that size and weight overseas.

I would think $10.000 would be more than fair, considering a finished house by the Thomas' run $25,000 or more. And if you're including the furniture, that was some good quality furniture I saw there, too. Finding someone with that sort of cash to spend is something else though. Although, I'm sure they would consider it an investment.

I am truly sorry for your loss---it is hard and making the decisions you are facing is so very difficult. I've let some things go that I've truly regretted and kept some things that I wonder why. Your mom was incredibly talented and she collected some amazing things. Thank you for sharing them. Magnificent!

Take good care

Kathy

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi Everyone!

I was getting a lot of messages in my inbox regarding the house. Well, I ended up having it professionally packed in a museum quality crate and I've been storing it in a climate controlled storage unit. I'm not sure what I'll end up doing with it. I'd like to eventually sell it but it would have to be the right buyer. Thanks again for all the condolences and information regarding my house. All the best in the New Year! :)  

• Like 1

I too am sorry about your Mum, whether you sell or keep your house has to be up to you.

If I were selling it I would first try to sell it as one lot and if it didn't sell then and only them would I start to break it up into smaller lots.This just me of course.

I wish you good wishes with whatever you decide. I may suggest they you don't do anything in a hurry. just take your time, and be sure your decision is the right one for you

Sincerely Jeannine

• 4 years later...