3D Mini Replicas of You

mariawicz

I recently posted about this on my blog since I wasn't sure if there was a post here before, but I just think this is the coolest thing. A company in Berlin, Twinkind, 3D replicas of you in 1:12 scale:

http://www.wired.com/2013/08/this-company-will-transform-you-into-an-incredibly-detailed-3-d-printed-figurine/

You have to go to Berlin which is the bad part, but it would be so cool to have a mini-me in your dollhouse.

http://www.twinkind.com/en/landing

• Like 1

There are places in Dubai that make these for you. They cost about the same. But I've seen the little folk up close and the detail isn't that realistic. I'd wait a few more years for it to be improved, before I spend the money on them.

Oh, and I've already thought to have a few made of me in the same outfit: one standing arms down, another seated, with arms on table. Another with arms reaching out to something on a cupboard, etc. Then I could have different poses for different scenes.

This is cool, but I am not sure the world is ready for a miniature version of me. However, if I ever did get have this done, I would take my stuffed animals with me. I would want to be either in a bedroom or on a porch drinking a smoothie and reading a good book with my stuffed animals around me. If I am going to spend the money on this, I might as well live good.

• Like 2

Lene, maybe you could do some repainting to add detail to them. It looks to me like the devil is in the details. Whoever did those was really good at it.

I watched them being made. They are cut from a solid block by a laser, hence the poor detail of the carving. Then the colour gets sprayed on.

Clothes with patterns on them, got mangled by the painting part. Some shades didn't print nicely. The folds of the fabric (arm areas) didn't look natural.

The eyes were not realistically carved (bulged terribly on some).

Hair was a real problem for the laser - there wasn't a human involved to "smooth the outlines" properly.

The printing also didn't read all the areas, there were some white spaces with parts missing - really hard to match by hand if you want to repaint it.

I'm not sure the material can be carved by anything other than a laser without damaging the whole piece.

AND you pay for it up-front before they make it - so if it isn't to your liking, tough luck.

The odds are NEVER in your favour with this set up. I suspect the lighting in the shop is partly to blame, as well as bleh medium-tech equipment.

I know I spot little details and am VERY fussy, but until they upgrade the calibration of the camera capture/laser cutter, it just isn't as nice as you would want yourself to look for eternity in someone's curio cabinet (if you know what I mean).

See and I'm sitting here thinking there's a slight creep factor, in seeing my son make a figure of me , do whatever he wants. Lol

hehehehehehehe It's when you see him wandering off with the figure, some feathers, and a chicken foot that you need to worry.

I know it's not modern technology, but I have to show the 3D replica of my Great Grandmother custom made for me by Wolfie.

post-329-0-96433600-1405621556_thumb.jpg

That's a picture of my Great Grandma on the wall behind the doll so you can see Wolfie did a pretty good job of making a different kind of 3D miniature of a real person. While I love technology, I think if there would ever have to be a replica of me (and since I don't even allow my picture to be taken, there's not much chance of it), I think I'd prefer that it be done with the kinder and gentler touch of another human. However, the technology behind this totally fascinates me.

• Like 2