Psssst. What are you wearing?

Deb

I used to wear flip flop type shoes everywhere I possibly could-not the old rubber kind,but more substantial ones,yet still leaving my feet wide open to the air. Then I had a terrible fall outside a fast food place who's brick walkway was in very bad shape. The front edge of my flip caught the edge of a loose brick and down I went. I got a pretty banged up ankle and could have sued,but since I was mostly indignant and nothing was permanently injured I just insisted loudly they get the darn walkway fixed ASAP. I had just seen a pregnant woman and an elderly couple walk out ahead of me and was so worried someone like that might really get hurt. It took awhile,but they did replace the stupid brick walk with a new,safer solid concrete one. I have since stopped wearing my flips in public,but I loooove them still.:)

Concrete floors in the shopping places are killers for me. 5 minutes in a store and wet with sweat from the pain. It's no fun.

<nodding in sympathy> I take a pain pill before I leave for the store and it's still agony. By the time we're done, I usually sit in the car and cry for a few minutes while Bruce puts things in the trunk and then go home and try not to move. Grocery days are miserable but I still keep going to prove I'm not down yet.

Today I'll be wearing a black slimline maxi skirt with sexy little side slits, a red ruffled tank top, red and black OP flip flops and black jewelry. My nails are sparkly red to match and I'm carrying my red Vera Wang bag. It's a bit much for a doctor's appointment but I discovered a long time ago that doctors make a visual evaluation when you walk in and if you're not looking put together they can take that as a sign that you're depressed when you're not or that your mental state isn't sound. After I saw the note in my charts from one doctor about my green hair, I've been overly conscious of how I look when I go see a doctor. I've also discovered they're more inclined to treat me as if I'm an intelligent being if I look put together and I need all the help in that area that I can get! <whispering> And since it is a doctor's appointment, I'm wearing all the required underwear and they even match.

• Like 4

I have had the same doctor for 25 years +. We have seen each other through thick and thin. If I ever went to see him 'put together' and tidy, he would wonder what was wrong with me. Lol. I usually show up because I have hurt myself so I am covered in paint or mud.

(had to go to the ER for stitches and apologized profusely to the doctor for my shoes being full of dog poo)

Mrs Cleaver I am not.

So I am going commando today since I didn't do laundry yesterday and still wearing the same thing as yesterday as well because I fell asleep in my clothes. I was so excited about fixing my cuckoo clock (new bellows and cleaning) that I just passed out on the couch. I will go put on a real outfit shortly. :)

I did my nails last night in a lovely shade of blue so this morning I grabbed a matching blue tank top and light blue shorts to go work in the yard. We need to run into town later today so I have clothes laid out to put on after my shower in a few minutes. Today's choice is all white because I'm not planning on doing anything else dirty today. I have a white maxi skirt and a blue and white cold shoulder top that will be fun and cool. The top has silver beading on it so some silver shoulder duster earrings and super blingy bracelets and hair combs with lots of bling will make me smile. I'm so much happier now that I dress just for me and not to fit into a particular style. If I can look down at my hands and smile at the color of my nails or the flashy stretch ring I'm wearing, I don't notice all the disfiguring parts of my hands that distress me. That's definitely a win!

I was talking to my SIL yesterday and lamenting that my hair won't take dye right now because of the thyroid flux and she suggested henna. She's so smart! I'd forgotten about henna altho I used to use it years ago. So I'm going to have to find some and put a few of those red highlights back in my hair where they belong. It's not my green streaks but I'll settle for anything besides this boring non-color the meds have created.

• Like 1

When I began to go gray, my hairdresser at the time asked if I wanted to color it. "No!" I said. "I've been paying you big bucks for highlights and streaking for years. Time to let Mother Nature take over!" I'm perfectly happy being gray, especially since I've seen much younger, prematurely gray women who look fantastic. :D

Today i wore Skinny jeans and a cincinnati reds t shirt with flops.my tootsies are painted red except the big piggies are white with red stitching to look like baseballs. My son just finished summer baseball. I am always in jeans, jean shorts or jean capris, and a tshirt. I bought my first summer dress this year, its turquoise, and ive never worn it. I want a maxi skirt, but havent found one I like yet... or the price range I want. It'll no doubt hang in my closet forever. I always wear sneakers, very rarely wear flops. Im lounging now, waiting on the boys to get home. So I threw a pair of sweats on, still have my reds shirt on and barefooted. I only wear mascara. I never leave the house without jeans on. My grandmother instilled in me you always look nice when you step outside. My hair is long, so its always in a pony tail. The skinny jeans are a new thing, got them at the thrift store, I usually wear boot cut.

All of a sudden I've been noticing gray all over my head. I'd dye my hair, but I'm scared to death about what I will look like when I finally let my hair grow out. I guess I can't complain - I'm almost 60 and just starting to get gray. And no real wrinkles to speak of either (I hate the sun and haven't been seriously out in it for the last 20 years). I'd be happy with that, but years of sun shining on the left side of my neck while I drove makes me look like I have a 25 year old face on a 90 year old neck. Years ago someone at work asked me if I photoshopped my face on my neck. Oh, yes, har har, it was so funny. Not.

Oh, and just for the record, today I'm wearing underwear.

Well, somebody had to say it!

Like so many of you, I let the girls be free as often as I can. My boobs are so big putting on a bra is an olympic event nowadays. Sigh.

I hear you. Some days I'd be willing to bet that I'm the only person who could sit cross legged and rest a lady on each knee. How sad is that?

Deb, I am so sorry you're in that much pain. I've been having to lean on grocery carts when I go shopping and that's always helped, but last week I spent almost an hour in one store and that almost finished me. And I still had three stores to go. I visit between 2 and 5 stores when I shop so I can get the sales.

All of a sudden I've been noticing gray all over my head. I'd dye my hair, but I'm scared to death about what I will look like when I finally let my hair grow out. I guess I can't complain - I'm almost 60 and just starting to get gray. And no real wrinkles to speak of either (I hate the sun and haven't been seriously out in it for the last 20 years). I'd be happy with that, but years of sun shining on the left side of my neck while I drove makes me look like I have a 25 year old face on a 90 year old neck. Years ago someone at work asked me if I photoshopped my face on my neck. Oh, yes, har har, it was so funny. Not.

Oh, and just for the record, today I'm wearing underwear.

Well, somebody had to say it!

First off, people can be ridiculous. I won't even go into the 'hysterical' comments about my name, or the birthmark in my hair (white streak) that garnered all sorts of "Skunk Girl" comments growing up. Ugh. I am sure your neck is fine too.

I just have to say that I think women with gray hair are BEAUTIFUL. I don't know if it's the color I like, or the way women with gray seem to be more confident... like they're saying "here I am, I am fabulous and I have the wrinkles/gray to prove it!" (Of course all this is coming from a woman married to a man 15 years her senior and who has a HUGE girl crush on Judi Dench, so take that for what it's worth...)

You ROCK that gray hair, Kelly (and the underwear too, while you're at it)! And a pox on anyone who says differently!! :bleh:

• Like 1

Thanks, Cheverly. I needed that. I think the thing is that all my life I've been a dishwater blond and I wanted dark brown hair. Once I started staying out of the sun, my hair darkened to just the shade I always wanted. And now it's going gray. It's like finally getting to menopause and getting hit with senility at the same time. Life is never fair.

And I'm almost afraid to say this. I thought w my hair gets real gray, I was going to dye it red. I'm in trouble now, aren't I?

But I actually got up and got dressed today! Went up to Lisa's to work on the house. Only, I broke the jigsaw, so nothing good came out of that. *sigh*

• Like 2

And I'm almost afraid to say this. I thought w my hair gets real gray, I was going to dye it red. I'm in trouble now, aren't I?

Lol Kelly! Actually I dye mine red also. Naturally it has a lot of red highlights so it's not a huge stretch. Feel free to jump on the red wagon!

Hair color. Mine is the same color it has been since it turned dark when I was around five or six years old. My paternal grandfather reportedly had no gray hair when he died in his 90s and although I get a stray gray hair here and there, now and again, it isn't noticeable. I do get a bit tired of DH's mother asking me when I'm going to quit coloring my hair...

• Like 1

I was a redhead for awhile and loved it. L'Oreal has some excellent shades of red (not the purply kind) that are semi-permanent which is always the way to go if you're going to dye your hair. Semi-permanent gradually fades with washing so your roots won't show when it grows out. When I went brunette I used Clairol Nutmeg #43 for years. We'd been married for almost ten years before Bruce ever saw my natural blonde hair color. When I started getting sick it wouldn't take color so I had the green and purple streaks put in which was a lot of fun. With the meds I''m on now, there's no chance of color taking even after my hair has been bleached so it's either bleach it or nothing. I don't mind the blonde highlights coz I did those before i went dark and the grey would be okay with me if the meds hadn't changed my hair to kind of a no-color mess. It's so dry and brittle that bleaching it isn't an option either so that leaves the henna. Since it'll wash out in time I don't mind giving it a try. After all, it's just hair and I can grow more of it.

The color spectrums I absolutely won't go into are the rinso lavender and blue. It was so popular in the 70s and before for women with beautiful white hair to try and enhance it with a blue rinse and quite often with disastrous results. One of my aunts was a beautician with a mostly geriatric clientele and rinso blue was her specialty. The sad thing is that they'd dye their white toy poodles to match. IMO, my green streaks and blue fingernails are pretty tame compared to that.

I had to clean the patio this morning after another major dust storm at 3am so the day started in my work clothes.........ripped black shorts and a paint splattered black tank top. After I'd finished all the messy stuff and got a shower I didn't feel up to getting dressed so I grabbed a blue gingham house dress. Well, to tell the truth it's a nightgown but since it's opaque it can be designated as a house dress. Yeah, yeah, that's it. Nightgowns are the ones you can't wear to walk around the back yard where the neighbors can see you. If I'm decent then it's a house dress. <grinning> But it does still match my nails from yesterday so that's something.

All the talk about red hair is cracking me up. I am a natural redhead. I was a strawberry blonde (light reddish blonde) as a small child,then for several decades it was a lovely bright and shiny copper color. It would get blonde streaks in it if I was out in the sun much and I always got accused of adding highlights. For a time I colored it light auburn to get rid of the blonde streaks. Since around menopause I have been seeing alot of white hairs and the red has darkened to almost reddish brown. I haven't put anything on it to even out the color in more than 2 years,so the last half fades into brassy blond tips...it's a mess!LOL I'm gonna wait and see if chemo makes me go bald,before I do anything else to it.

I am a 3rd generation redhead-my mother has been lightening her medium auburn shade to a brighter red(similar to Lucille Ball's shade-who was a natural brunette,btw) for about 4 decades-I don't like it,but it's her choice! Grandma had just gorgeous auburn hair for so long. Then I gradually noticed it was a golden beige color. My mother was a beautician and always did Grandma's haircuts and perms,etc. I asked her one day what shade was she putting on grandma's hair. She laughed and said that was Grandma's natural hair-instead of going grey,it went that beautiful beige shade. Pity I didn't take after her!!

• Like 1

Kat, sometimes after chemo the new hair that grows in may be a different texture from that which fell out. I have had two good friends whose hair grew back thicker and in one case wavy and in another, curly.

Deb, I've seen both dark blue and light blue nail polish; trying to imagine which shade is on your nails. When we went to the grocery yesterday the clerk ringing up our order had painted her nails the shade of green that is the store's trademark color.

• Like 1

Holly, I had forgotten that about hair until you mentioned it. My sister had radiotherapy and lost her hair and it came back in much darker and far curlier than it ever was before.

• Like 1

Yes, Kat, it will be interesting to see how your hair is affected. Hey, maybe you'll get Grandma's hair after all!!

And Kelly, if you want to be a redhead, be a saucy redhead. Obviously you should do what makes YOU happy, not because you worry what someone else will think. Actually, once when I was 16 I got tired of all the joking about my hair and dyed it red too. It was a horrible color for my complexion, made me look jaundiced, but I guess we've all got our hair stories, haven't we?

I keep teasing my daughter that I'm going to be one of those crazy old ladies that drives a Corvette, Liberache glasses and has spiky lime hair. I think the grandkids would LOVE that... her... eh, not so crazy about the idea. :)

• Like 1

I'm sitting here in fishing shirt and jeans and hiking sandals prior to turning on the dishwasher and heading out to the playhouse. May we all have a happy, productive Monday.

Sandals? Try not to drop anything that's got a sharp edge or point, eh? :ohmy: Exposed toes make me nervous, whether they're mine or someone else's.

I'm dressed pretty out of character today, not sure what has possessed me.

Orange tank top knit dress, that comes below my knees. I never wear dresses, and I never wear orange. Not sure why I even have an orange dress!

White dress sandals, with a small heel. I don't wear heels, and I usually don't wear anything but socks and flats to work, my feet get cold.

White half sleeve sweater. I wear a black, brown, or gray sweater every day (to match my pants) because I'm cold.

And orange polish on my toes AND fingers. I never paint my nails, I pick at them too much.

I have on my normal jewelry though, diamond pendant on a gold chain, and diamond stud earrings, and diamond tennis bracelet.

I should be back to my normal me tomorrow. I feel out of place. It's kinda fun though. :)

• Like 2