So I have a doll that was mine when I was a little girl who is badly in need of refurbishment. She is a Mary Lapsitter Fisher Pirce doll from the 70's. I have recently discovered some ebay sellers who have restored them. I am not looking for any miracles as she is very much loved (dirt, crayon, cut hair) just a fresh start. I'm not ashamed to say that I still hold her when I'm feeling particularly low so I'm looking for someone I can trust. Thanks guys for any help you can give :)

• Like 2

Gentle cleaning in an inconspicuous spot with Woolite and a soft rag, hot water soak for the crayon; continue all over only if there's no damage.. A little fabric softener rubbed inito the hair (especially if it's vicose) and comb with a large-toothed comb. I still have the ballerina rag doll my paternal grandmother made for me; for some reason she survived my mother's purge...

I think the others are right, you might want to try and do it yourself first.

Google the stains you can identify and choose the 'mildest' recipe first.

Professionals will charge you a fortune to clean it. If you're interested take photos that detail the damage and email them for a quote. That way you'll get an idea of the cost

When you're happy with the results, do post "before" & "after" pictures.

:thumbup:

I need someone to remind me of that a lot more often. It's not the after pix, so much as those darned before pix—and once you've forgotten those, ha ha, it's too late!

Sarah, I have a Fisher Price Gerber baby. Her name is Deanna, and she is crosses eyed. She's been thru a lot as well. I'd like to clean up her face as well. I'll be watching for your ideas.

Kellee

I'm feeling a little ill. I took a bunch of snaps of "Dolly with the Red Squares" before starting her makeover. Her head was on with a zip tie! Snip and her head is sitting on the sink drying after her shampoo. I have her body, minus stuffing, and clothes soaking in Dawn and Oxi-clean.

I have recently unearthed my only surviving childhood toy - a doll given to me on my 9th birthday by a beloved aunt. She's in good shape except that her eyes have clouded over. I've been afraid to try anything on them and, as Sarah said, she is a treasure to me and I can't entrust her to just anybody.

Any ideas?

post-4286-0-72392400-1407302132_thumb.jp

CJ, unless somebody knows exactly what to do to correct this, I think I'd just consider that with age she has developed inoperable cataracts and find a nice cozy place to display her.

• Like 2

CJ, unless somebody knows exactly what to do to correct this, I think I'd just consider that with age she has developed inoperable cataracts and find a nice cozy place to display her.

That's pretty much what I've done. I'm afraid to experiment on the eyes, and they are not as tightly installed as they used to be. Any pressure on them and they sink back into the head. For now she is sitting in my china cabinet. One of these days I'll get a display case for her. She has survived pretty well otherwise, considering that she was my #1 dolly and went everywhere with me. She's been to Mexico, two countries in South America, and back to the States. She's lived in high altitude and dry climates and in humid tropical areas.

Go to some of the doll magazine sites and see what's recommended. I suppose you could replace the eyes, but that would involve surgery on the head, I expect. the doll is adorable!

First, do no harm.

Maybe you could just get her some cute little spectacles and that would be enough to keep with the idea of "do no harm".

Or little dark glasses and a white cane, or a large dog and harness?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...