Anyone Help Me with the Willow

I am stuck on the construction of the chimney in the willow - the instructions leave me guessing.

I have added the sides but don't know what to do with the following pieces

1. 2 chimney back sides
  2. 4 pieces of chimney top sides (each agout 1" bu 3/4 ")
  3. Chimney back
  4. and fancy scroll pieces which I assume go in top but not according to picture.

Thanks,

Just Grandpop (Joe)

post-61965-0-23120000-1410024815_thumb.j

• Like 1

I have an album here on a few Willows I have built. One of the photos shows a bit of the chimney detail. I did not use the four small pieces as I did not like the way they looked, used round tubing instead. The chimney backlsides will be at the top and on the roof side of the chimney. The other parts are decorative and fit aroyund the top of it. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Also if you will type"willow instructions" in the search box at the top right of this page there is a lot of info there and one of the messages has a link for downloadable instructions that are free that are much better than the ones that came with the kit!

• Like 1

Okay, I had to dig out my Willow instructions to remember what I did, because wouldn't you know I didn't take close-up build pics of this particular part! :prop:

The four chimney top sides on sheet 4 are glued into pairs to become two thick sides; each pair is glued to the end of the chimney top (sheet 4).

Here I have found a pic where you can see that I have masking-taped on those ends in place to the chimney front (sheet 4) and the chimney back (sheet 5) (which is that M-shaped piece which is glued onto the front of the chimney back inside in order to brace it):

post-928-0-02454000-1410026889_thumb.jpg

Another view:

post-928-0-10657300-1410027136_thumb.jpg

You can't see the wood of the sides themselves b/c there's masking tape in the way, but hopefully this helps.

Yes, the chimney flute sides and the chimney flute fronts are glued together to make little chimney pots.I did end up using those; you can see finished pics in my build blog:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=82&cat=7

• Like 2

Thanks, Perry; that's what I figured. A check of my pub showed me that I did make up the squared flues from the kit, after all; I remember thinking "next time I'll use dowels" and after all these years I thought that's what I'd done. *sigh*

Glad it helped, Joe. Looking back over my blog, I recall that I had a bit of a time figuring out how all the front door trim pieces were supposed to go. Overall, this house is a big blank slate but it does have a few subtleties.

Thanks Holly! I had the same thought about those chimneys-- they needed some help.

• Like 1