Just beginning in the hobby by getting in over my head right away

Marysuewashere

Hello, Mary Sue here. I have a convoluted story... I wrote stories for a friend's twins. They are said to be very good, so I seek to publish. But how to illustrate? My grandfather left a box of Xacto House of Miniatures furniture he had done -- my partner had a framed then abandoned miniature house in his basement -- and they came together in an idea to set up a mini world for the characters in the books.

The pieces were added to with a big EBay box of random furniture and accessories. The house benefited from a Craig's List buy of building parts. I found a store (Chautauqua Miniatures) with helpful owners who will be my go-to place forever. What fun we are having! But yesterday, a scary thing happened. I bought an incomplete San Franciscan 550 kit on EBay. We want to create a mansion by marrying the SF to the one of a kind main house. Amateurs have such bold ideas!

It will be an adventure!

• Like 1

After hanging around here on the forum and in person (lucky me!) with many very talented, creative, inventive miniaturists, I have discerned a commonality among us that can be summed up as: If you can think it, you can build it.

Getting in over our heads is what we're all about. It's the quest to do something new, to bring our ideas to life, that keeps us going. You're going to fit right in, dear heart. Feel free to ask questions. There are no right or wrong answers to how to do this or that. You'll get the benefit of several different points of view that will let you choose what's right for you.

As a sometimes writer, I'm tickled that you're bringing your stories to life this way. Can't wait to see the results. :D

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum! You'll find more than a few of us build houses for our characters, books or otherwise :)

Sounds like you are jumping right in with this new project. After you've made five posts you can start a gallery so we can all see your progress :D

• Like 2

Welcome Mary Sue. We have something in common. I like to write stories as well and had taken a course in Children's Literature. However, the course was geared toward children's magazines which tend to be very selective, and since I am not into self-publishing, my stories have yet to find a home. I, too, would need an illustrator if my stories ever make it to the publishing stage.

Since I had my first dollhouse remodeled, I brought a friend into the hobby. I didn't mean to corrupt her, but she is just as addicted as I am, so the fact that you claim to be over your head is something that I see as a good thing. It helps support the claim that people like me are actually normal.

I now have a family of four little girls who are living in my dollhouse with their grandparents, and I write weekly and sometimes daily updates on their adventures; although my friend is the only one I send them too. So I am very interested in your project and how it will shape your stories.

Please keep us posted, and remember, if you really do feel you are in over your head, there are plenty of us here who will be happy to help ease your burden.

• Like 2

I, too, would need an illustrator if my stories ever make it to the publishing stage.

Actually, if you're aiming for publication in a magazine, they will have their own stable of artists that they prefer to use, or at least they did a quarter century ago. I had a story published in Cricket in 1990. The artist's concept of the characters was very different from my own mental picture, but I have to admit, the illustrations enhanced the story. :)

If I only have a few books self-published to give out as gifts, I will be happy. But I can dream of real profits and a major publisher, why not? I would hate to have someone else illustrate my work. It would feel like it was no longer mine. I can stage photos with my characters in and around the house(s) to fit into the stories, and digitally manipulate them all I want.

With Sculpey, origami, miniatures, and a camera -- I will try to do my best for the sake of the two little boys who started it all. When they get their own copies of the adventures of their pretend selves, their joy will be the best reward ever.

Thanks for the kind support. I did a ton of reading in the forums. Thanks to all of the advice givers. I will not use a hot glue gun, I will prepare surfaces before painting, and, I will take my time.

Doesn't every person love getting a brown box delivered

• Like 4

YES! every person DOES get that little WOOT when the box arrives!!

congrats on getting in over your head! I am very much interested in seeing this venture!

please do photos photos along the way...that actually is the number one rule around here :batman:

the acceptation being during contest times you are exempt lol

Welcome to the forum and look forward to your journey

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum, Mary Sue!

I too, jumped in over my head with my first house project (it's my avatar), but it turned out the way I had hoped. If you run into any problems, there's plenty of experienced members here who are great at making things work.

Years ago, when I was a kid, we had a number of high quality children's books, and I distinctly remember several that were illustrated with photographs of dolls in miniature scenes. Hansel and Gretel being one of them. I also remember that the witch's house was covered in real candy or a spot on imitation of candy. I would love to see that kind of work in a children's book again. My kids would probably love it, too.

If I only have a few books self-published to give out as gifts, I will be happy. But I can dream of real profits and a major publisher, why not? I would hate to have someone else illustrate my work. It would feel like it was no longer mine. I can stage photos with my characters in and around the house(s) to fit into the stories, and digitally manipulate them all I want.

When I was a kid I used to write stories using my stuffed animals as characters, and I would place them in real-life, human situations. As an adult, I haven't changed all that much, because now I am using my dollhouse occupants as characters. I am well in tune to their different personalities, so if an illustrator should fail to project them correctly or have his/her own ideas of what my characters should look like, I would most likely feel the same way.

Unfortunately, I can't draw a straight line with a ruler (and I mean that literally), nor am I familiar with computer imaging. Even more unfortunate is the fact that I don't have to worry about any of this, as there are no illustrators or publishers knocking on my door. - But yes, we can certainly dream. :)

My box arrived yesterday. It was labeled incomplete on EBay, so I did an inventory. The shingles are missing --no big deal. The two piece base is also gone. That is fine because I have plans to attach it to another, so the base was too small. Everything else is fine. There is a strange piece of corner molding --not mini at all. It has no business being in this box.

A few bits are already assembled. I spent some time with my exacto knife trimming excess glue from the staircases. Lucky for me it is wood glue and not hot glue. Side walls are pre-assembled quite well, nice and square. The basics dry fitted together just fine.

I started dry fitting the zillion teeny tiny window pieces and decided to put a vinyl strip of fake stained glass on the top third of each window and a trim strip beneath it. I like it already. So the kit is now officially bashed. I will be painting the zillion pieces today. Acrylic --nutmeg brown.

Main construction has to wait until I travel from Western Pennsylvania to my other home in Chautauqua New York. My minis will stay there (long story). Assembling is going to be a joint project with my guy, Scott. I will take photos as we go.

Thanks for all of the support and good wishes.

• Like 2