Puppet Theater Cabinet

More Minis Dollhouses

I usually do no make my own miniatures but I couldn't resist this one. I was on my Facebook page and saw a post someone made that showed a tiny puppet theater in the back ground and I thought to myself "I HAVE to have this!" Where am I ever going to find a ready made one that won't cost an arm and a leg, plus to fit my room space? I can be really stubborn when I want something and will do what I usually don't like doing.

So, I emptied my craft closet, which is pretty bare by a miniaturist standard, and bundled up all of the bits, pieces and scraps I could find to create a puppet theater cabinet for my BH's nursery. I went online and found an antique picture of one in a Victorian nursery and I was so happy to see how makeshift it looked. I can do makeshift REALLY well...lol

And here is the finished result:

post-729-0-53893700-1411157469_thumb.jpgpost-729-0-03467500-1411157471_thumb.jpgpost-729-0-52020800-1411157472_thumb.jpg

It was all made from balsa wood strips, fabric trims and jewelry beads. I made the puppets out of dowel bodies and wood cap heads. I had to mix all of the different color paints using primary colors I had on hand. I hand painted the background scenery. I had a hanging flower basket that was damaged so I snipped off all of the clay flowers to make the flower beds behind the puppets. I also had a miniature wind chime that wasn't working well so I used the birds to hang them from the cabinet top so they swing behind the puppets. Painting the little puppet faces was hard work but like I said before, I am extremely stubborn when I want something. :)

• Like 8

Love it - it is so sweet and adorable - and a wee bit scary too - I have a tad bit of a phobia of clowns and puppets and dolls whose eyes open and close - silly me .....

• Like 1

Thank you for all the compliments!

Yup, I don't like making miniatures at all. The whole process frustrates me and I am extremely critical of the finished product. For some reason, they all end up looking like a three year old made it. The only thing I like doing with miniatures is revamping, repairing or dressing a bed. I am a builder. Wood sheets don't scare me but tiny things do..:) I think this cabinet was a one time fluke. What helps is that they are suppose to look hand made so it looks "right".

Yes, you can do makeshift really well. You might consider doing another one and seeing if it sells on eBay. After looking at this, I am surprised you said you don't normally make your own minis.

I can't imagine trying to make another one. I think my poor eyes wouldn't be able to take it. I also would never list one for sale. I think that selling things was what soured my love for miniatures for a while and that's why I closed my dollhouse store. The moment I closed that store, my spark for miniatures reignited.

• Like 1

Gina, I love the theater! Great work!

I feel the same way. I used to do mini shows and classes. I spent most of my time doing minis that I couldn't keep. Now that I do the blog every day, I am much happier. I get to do tutorials for others and keep the things that I make.

For the past two days I have been working on a way to do mini sisal rugs. As I went, I explained how to do it. And I get to put the results in my own houses. They are really fun to do and fast. I have made four in the last two days!

• Like 1

Casey, I am glad to know that there are other miniaturists who feel this way. I didn't even realize what a burden having a dollhouse store was for me until I closed it. It was like a weight lifted off of my shoulders and I am so happy to do things for myself now. I love showing others how to build dollhouses but I my heart wasn't into building for them.

I just believe this is art and its very difficult to put a price on my art. I also hated to be constrained with what they wanted the outcome to be rather than relying on my own inspiration. I had a lot of good customers but I had some that made me not want to build anymore. Unfortunately, selling dollhouses was not a positive experience for me. Now I feel free.

• Like 1

You did a great job, Gina. And I can understand not wanting to make a commissioned item. If (and hopefully, when) I sell minis, I will sell what I make and they can take it or leave it. I would not want to make something for someone else's vision.

• Like 1