doll repair and restoration

shamrockgirl18

Is anyone here interested in learning how to repair and restore dolls? Or does anyone have experience doing it?

I've always been interested in it, but the only classes I can find are not close by and/or terribly expensive.

I don't want to do it as a career, just as a hobby. My friend recently gave me an old composition doll, who is in terrible shape (the doll, not my friend).

I've done simple fixes before, like cleaning musty clothing and replacing wigs, but nothing advanced. I'd love to try and repair her myself and I don't have the money to send her to a professional 'doll doctor' anyways.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I have just one doll repair tip, but it's a good one...you can get ink off vinyl with benzoyl peroxide (pimple cream). Apply it to the ink and leave the spot exposed to the sun. It may take a few days but I have removed  major ink disasters from many 1950's dolls. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 1/15/2016, 8:27:09, stickyfingers said:

I know this an old post, but just wanted to see if you ever restored the doll? I used to do a lot of restoration, but not compo.

No I never repaired her, but it's OK because she found a new job as an unofficial mascot for the library. Our catalog in Maine is named Minerva, so the doll is now known as Minerva the Creepy Doll. She gets alot of attention, and has become the star of our Instagram account! 

https://www.instagram.com/ymslibrary/

On 10/26/2016, 3:58:13, shannonc60 said:

Poor Minerva. I bet she was once a lovely doll.

I know. Alot of the kids and staff say she's "creepy" or "scary" but I've never seen her that way. To me she just looks sad- like once she was beautiful and beloved, and over time she was forgotten about and left to deteriorate. But at least now she gets alot of attention, and even has some fans.

She looks like a composition doll, with her paint peeling. I bet you could find books on how to restore her in your library system. Or better still, ask at a store (or email online stores) who sell composition dolls how to do some basic repairs. A new wig, some eye lashes and she'd be looking pretty good. 

Here's a little basic info:

http://www.ebay.com.au/gds/Basic-composition-doll-repair-guide-/10000000001612667/g.html

http://collectdolls.about.com/od/antiquedolls1800s1920s/fl/Tips-For-Sucessful-Doll-Restoration.htm

You can buy eyes, eye mechanisms, wigs etc at lots of online stores now. If you could find a local doll maker, they'd be able to show you how to put eye mechs in.

If she has no monetary value, I'd follow the instructions in the first link and see what happened. Find a flesh coloured spray paint and give it a whirl!