Swaps are BACK!

chesterfieldzoo

I know there is one here, but I don't know who is in charge of loading photos to it. Maybe Tracy will know.

I have to add that I have received one of the items so far and I took a peek. As amazing as pictures look, they just don't do justice to the incredible work that people here can do when you see it in real life. The ______ will work in any house and the _____s and the ____ _____ are perfect!

Just saying.

• Like 1

I might be interested in that, because this was super-fun...

... but I suspect that (a) it would be much harder to coordinate even swaps at an "expensive" price range and (b it would probably need to be more structured in terms of theme. Everybody can find a home for a completely random small thing... but a completely random large thing, when we all work in different time periods, with different design styles, and at different stages of completion... a bed, for instance, I would have no room for at all, yet there are lots of things in that price range that I'm always wishing for.

It would certainly require more advance thought, and might be trickier for some folks to be sure about saying yes to. That's my 2 cents. :)

• Like 1

I think the reason we stayed with the $5-$10 range originally was that it inspired a lot more creativity and produced a lot more things people were likelier to be able to use; nd more people were willing to give it shot. The expensive items, as has been pointed out, would be more customized and IMO probably more appropriate for individual or very small swaps where specificity is expected.

• Like 1

I think the reason we stayed with the $5-$10 range originally was that it inspired a lot more creativity and produced a lot more things people were likelier to be able to use; nd more people were willing to give it shot. The expensive items, as has been pointed out, would be more customized and IMO probably more appropriate for individual or very small swaps where specificity is expected.

I don't think the level of creativity involved is necessarily affected, one way or the other, by how expensive the piece is. I do feel it's worth exploring further to find out how many of us would be interested in taking part. One thing I found myself wanting to do was to create a vignette with the pieces I made, maybe this would give us more of a platform to do something like that.

I was only asking if there was any interest. There are some very talented people here who might want to participate in a small swap to trade something they do well for something someone else does well. And again - it's VALUE of the item and not costs. I can make some mighty fine mini afghans and bedspreads for a few dollars, but it's many hours of work. (for example) There would be NO way I could make 8 of them in a month. It wouldn't even have to be a one on one exchange. Say I make a blanket and person X wants one. Person X makes beds, but I don't want a bed, but person Y does and they make dolls. I would take a doll. Just a thought.

As long as Tracy says it's ok, I think a 1/24 swap will be next. So start thinking about if you would want to play and if you want a theme this time. It would also have to be very soon so it doesn't interfere with christmas or wait until the beginning of january. No one wants to go to the post office a week before christmas....

I like the idea of a trade-type thing, though I'm probably out through the rest of the year. I've got favor bag goodies to make for our Christmas room box retreat that's in a couple of weeks, and then it'll be Thanksgiving and I'll be getting ready for Christmas, not to mention my own mini projects I've been neglecting <looks guiltily towards Whitebrush Manor>. Ahh, the joys of such a wonderful hobby!! :ohyeah:

We won't even discuss RL house cleaning. Ahem.

I haven't gotten into 1/24 scale yet, although I sort of rearranged my houses today and realized that... um... I don't have much room for the eight 1/12 houses I have now! So I'm beginning to think I should consider the possibilities... <resigning myself to the possibility a new mini-mini obsession>

• Like 1

I was only asking if there was any interest. There are some very talented people here who might want to participate in a small swap to trade something they do well for something someone else does well. And again - it's VALUE of the item and not costs. I can make some mighty fine mini afghans and bedspreads for a few dollars, but it's many hours of work. (for example) There would be NO way I could make 8 of them in a month. It wouldn't even have to be a one on one exchange. Say I make a blanket and person X wants one. Person X makes beds, but I don't want a bed, but person Y does and they make dolls. I would take a doll. Just a thought.

As long as Tracy says it's ok, I think a 1/24 swap will be next. So start thinking about if you would want to play and if you want a theme this time. It would also have to be very soon so it doesn't interfere with christmas or wait until the beginning of january. No one wants to go to the post office a week before christmas....

'Fraid I only do 1/12 and 1/144 so I'm out on 1/24. And I'm full-speed-ahead on the HBS Contest (deadline in December) so I'd be out right now anyway.

Yes—it's knowing that you meant value-out not dollars-in, that made me think it would be difficult to do at a larger price point. We all kind of know what we can get (or sell, maybe) in a smaller price range... and if we go a bit overboard, well, we knew that, too, but you can't go too far overboard with $5–10 stuck in your head.

But in an expensive exchange I think there's going to be a very wide variety of ideas about what constitutes that value. A mighty fine mini afghan might be worth more than that, for instance. Well, anyway, just my thought about what might need to be considered. Looking forward to seeing what people do in 1/24. :)

Deana, that's more what I was thinking for the "expensive" swap; finding out who wants what and who wants to make what could be interesting to coordinate; in the past those were the one-on-one swaps we handled through the Trading Post.

Stop living in the past Holly. :) Sometimes old ideas can be reworked into new ones. Besides, it was just thrown out there to see if there was any interest. I personally like the less expensive swaps. Much more variety.

Kelly, I think it's time you got into 1/24. I mean, you already have 1/12 and 1/144......Go to Michaels and get one of the puzzle houses to try. I took 2 of them and put in 'real' doors and windows and shingles and such. I ended up buying more of them.

• Like 1

LOL! Deana, if I get into 1/24, my perennially half-done 1/12s will never get fully done.

Not only that, I'd have to get into a bigger apartment to get into 1/24. One house would be lonely, and then pretty soon it's two, and then eight...

No room for a new obsession! :D

There is ALWAYS room somewhere Kelly!! If you take the racks out of the oven and the door off, it makes a great place for a haunted house (and it will have scary backlighting from the oven light!) And no one ever eats at the kitchen table - eat on the couch while watching tv and viola! A great place for a 1/24 village! If you slide your bed out from the wall, you can put a board on top of your headboard for houses and store suitcases with your clothes in the space behind the headboard which now frees up your entire closet to put shelves for MORE houses!!!!

I'm a big help, eh?

• Like 4

Helped me into a good long laugh. The kitchen table's already construction central whenever I'm in the middle of a mini project—too late for that.

But the oven... then no cooking, no worries about wishing we could eat at the kitchen table... you may be on to something...

• Like 1