Site for 50s and 60s sore eyes

rodentraiser

I found this link the other day and thought I would post it. I like this because while it's 50s/60s era, it's not that mod look that makes so many of the houses of that era look like the insides of flying saucers. This is the comfortable look. Those of you considering a 50s/60s house, this would be an excellent guide.

https://homes.yahoo.com/blogs/spaces/good-ol--house-214041125.html

• Like 3

Looks like the house I grew up in! We also added a washing machine in the kitchen. My mother insisted because she was so proud to own one!

That reminds me - Harriet Nelson had a washer and dryer in the back entry of their house next to the kitchen. They showed them a lot. I remember seeing ads from the show for appliances, Westinghouse, I think.

Ozziet & Harriet episodes on Internet Archive

there are other 50's shows in the archive too like The Goldbergs and Make Room for Daddy, although Danny Thomas's set had more of a "modern" look.

A lot of houses had refrigerators on the back porch because some of the kitchens of houses built in the 30s and 40s didn't include them. When the homeowners finally did get a fridge, the back porch or the entry way off the kitchen was the only place a fridge would fit.

I remember reading a story about a girl who lived in an apartment building in the 40s, and they turned their fridge off to save electricity in the winter and put the food outside the window in a basket to keep it. Can you imagine anyone doing that now?

That reminds me - Harriet Nelson had a washer and dryer in the back entry of their house next to the kitchen. They showed them a lot. I remember seeing ads from the show for appliances, Westinghouse, I think.

Ozziet & Harriet episodes on Internet Archive

there are other 50's shows in the archive too like The Goldbergs and Make Room for Daddy, although Danny Thomas's set had more of a "modern" look.

I read an interview of a famous dog breeder whose cousin was Harriet Nelson. She'd go out to visit her in Hollywood. Apparently, they were pretty close to each other, but Harriet was terrified of her cousin's Dobermans.

My friends had a washer and dryer in their kitchen and hated it. I thought it would be wonderful to have a washer and dryer in the kitchen. You could be doing your chores in one room. No running around.

Mother's washing machine, when she had one that worked, sat in the yard next to the back porch, where there was an outdoor spigot to hook it up to (the cord got plugged into an outlet on the back porch, so you had to be careful not to trip over it bringing loads outside to wash), but we had enough room in the kitchen for our fridge. DH's grandmother had her fridge in the pantry.