Prices at different places

Marysuewashere

I think they will be higher, simply because the items aren't mass-produced in China. Also, many of the pieces are artisan quality (i.e., beautiful!) and hand-made. And mini shops are typically more than prices at HBS. But it is so much fun to look, and I like supporting shops and artisans when I can, and within reason. Have fun!! Wish I could go with you both days!

Edited to add: This info is from my limited experience of attending one show in the DFW area for 5 or 6 years. Just sayin. :D

• Like 1

Mary Sue, it's all over the board, at least at the shows I've attended. I've been pleasantly surprised at how reasonable artisan pieces are priced, vs the internet, for example. If it's a club-sponsored show members will sometimes have a table to offer items & books they no longer need, and you can find some wonderful bargains there. I do try to hold back enough $$$ for that one dropdead gorgeous OOAK artisan piece that calls my name.

I will take pictures. :)

Be sure you ask the vendor if it is okay to take pictures, especially the artisans who make and sell their own work. Many of them have had designs ripped off that way.

If there is a vendor there that does carry mass produced items, there is a chance you can get a good deal versus regular retail. I know I am not a "typical" vendor at the shows I attend, but I do give deals for larger purchases. If you see a lot of things that you like at a booth, ask the owner if they will "make a deal" with you if you buy several items. The worst they can say is "no," but you don't know if you don't ask. Also, if there is more than one booth selling mass produced items, compare pricing. There are some vendors that will raise their prices for a show.

Some of the artisans may bargain with you, too. Just ask.

• Like 1

In a public event, photography is legal. There is no expectation of privacy at a table in a show. Vendors can post or ask that photos not be taken, but they have no legal standing to insist. I got no objections. I explained that I wanted to make an album for the Greenleaf Forum, and would try to include the business cards and website addresses. There were only positive reactions. They all saw it as a way to show off their stuff to a wide audience. I will work on the photos soon.

In a public event, photography is legal. There is no expectation of privacy at a table in a show. Vendors can post or ask that photos not be taken, but they have no legal standing to insist. I got no objections. I explained that I wanted to make an album for the Greenleaf Forum, and would try to include the business cards and website addresses. There were only positive reactions. They all saw it as a way to show off their stuff to a wide audience. I will work on the photos soon.

Legality isn't the point; good manners is the point. I'm glad you asked and got such a positive response. We look forward to the photos. :D

• Like 1

Legality isn't the point; good manners is the point. I'm glad you asked and got such a positive response. We look forward to the photos. :D

I agree that it was good to ask.

You just need to be sure how to define a "public" event. If it is an event sponsored by a group and held in a venue such as a church, hotel or stadium, the definition of "public" changes. For instance, I have participated in shows where signs were posted and then it is a legal issue. If you are in a park, on a sidewalk or in a mall (no admission for the public to enter), it is fair game. However, if the event is on private property as mentioned earlier, and you are asked not to take pictures, you are obligated to honor that request whether posted on a sign or asked.

My daughter is a professional photographer and actually had to attend a seminar on photography and the law. Also, one of my vendors had a design stolen because someone took a picture and posted it on Pinterest or one of those "free" photo sites.

Bottom line is what Kathie said about good manners. It is always better to err on the side of caution rather than making assumptions. It is great that you asked and had positive reactions.

Greg is right about taking photos.

I have heard of some very offensive experiences from fellow miniaturists at shows I have been a vendor at. One of the worst was someone who just walked up and snapped a photo, then returned a few minutes later with her significant other in tow, and said, "that's the one. We can make lots of those and sell them cheap" while pointing to the item she had just photographed. That is why many vendors will not allow photography at shows.

Personally, I don't mind if someone takes photos of my houses. If they think they can reproduce it, more power to them, but as long as they don't try to market or take credit for my designs (the Tudor is under copyright) or use the images to defraud potential buyers, I'm OK with it. So far, all of the images I've seen online either properly name the builder, or at least identify the source, in the case of Flickr images I've seen copied to Pinterest.

Regarding prices, you may be surprised to see some items at shows priced for slightly cheaper than they are at stores. The shops will mark up to retail to cover their cost and turn a profit, while the artisan may not have the expenses of a brick-and-mortar store.

Prices were all fair, retail vendors and those selling their own creations. I stayed in budget by getting my guy to buy one of my finds (gazebo kit -18$) for me. He had no excuse not to, having just spent 17$ on a log cabin kit for himself! :)

I admit to seeing things I wanted to make for myself, and including them in my photos. Most of my inspirations were in the display area, not the sales tables. Most of my time was spent among the displays. The room was wall to wall mirrors and harsh lighting, so I don't expect stunning pictures. I will try to do what limited digital editing I can on my ipad while away from home. Maybe I can find a few lucky gems.

I always ask before taking pictures. I suffer migraines and cannot tolerate flash cameras. If someone insists, they get closed eyes and a raised finger. I stand corrected on the legality, I had not thought of the leased space being private property aspect. My college media law professor would be tsking at me right now if she knew. It seems a muddied area if there are no posted policies, so it is good that I explained my picture taking and they understood the forum to be a place where their customer base was reachable. My guy was snapping away the whole time, not always beside me, and was not questioned. He shows in many photos, in the mirrors.

The highlight of the show was seeing a lady who ran the shop I had visited last month. The Chautauqua Miniatures store is a wonderful place with such happy owners -- they make everyone around them feel happy too. A facebook post on their page shows the cheerful woman being exuberant and perfectly sums up the atmosphere of the shop.

The lowest point was when I had seen everything and had no more to explore. I was bummed out to be finished. We went to a hobby store in the Buffalo suburbs to continue the treasure hunting buzz. My guy got his hobby buzz in the trains department while I dug through the impressive mini lumber yard.

Another thing to consider when tempted to go merrily snapping photos is to consider why museums and art galleries don't permit flash photography. The flash can damage pigments. It's a lot more than common curtesy to ask first.

I hear a lot from customers that they are also bummed out at the end of the show. I know as a shopper that I get a little bummed if I haven't seen everything. Sometimes when I am a vendor there are cases where buyers are still trying to make up their minds. I recently stayed an extra 45 minutes in Chicago for three people that were still shopping.

I always tell folks as I am packing up -- if it is still out or still on the tables, it is still available for sale. Anything packed up stays packed up. I haven't been in this hobby long and I get a kick out of watching others light up when they find that one thing to help with their build.

• Like 2

Ok, I just had to comment here. I am one of the *hopefully* regular sellers at this show Mary Sue went to. Second year being there, I'm torn on whether or not I like the new location. I liked that no one was really shoved in a corner anywhere (I'm one of the newer vendors, so I expect that to be my table), but the lighting was not so great in places and the mirrors in the display room were distracting - Good show overall though. My table was nearby Chautauqua Miniatures' table. I've only been to their store once, but I loved it there. Nice owners too. Actually, I have yet to meet a store owner/seller in the area that wasn't nice. I think it's just the hobby.

Mary Sue if you are reading this - I am so glad you introduced yourself at the show, meeting someone I crossed paths with on this forum really made my day. :)

First day really back online since I posted about the show a few weeks ago, so sorry that I missed this - I had the answers. ><

For future reference: Generally speaking about the Western NY area, shows tend to have decent prices. The shops in the area are usually at the shows so I think the prices stay about the same there, but artisan vendors like me do have show specials and some sale items + no one has to charge for shipping. So if you ever find out about a show in your area - I recommend checking it out at least once.

I am really impressed by the range of things and price points available at this show. I'm used to art shows where it's ether super affordable stuff or it's all high end and nothing I could ever buy. This show has something for everyone, and they even have a craft table for kids.

Wasn't even shopping last weekend and I still ended up with a few things, including a small dollhouse I will be rehabbing for my niece. (Only $15, and the sale went to Habitat for Humanity - How could I say no?) Good show. :)

• Like 1