Shipping a house

nuttiwebgal

I've shipped several dollhouses. First, you should contact the shipper of your choice, FedEx, UPS, etc. Let them know the dollhouses dimensions and approximate weight. I always used the weight of the kit which is listed on the Greenleaf web store. Make sure you tell them that the dollhouse is a 1/8" plywood dollhouse since they will ask you about this. Then give them the zip codes of origin and delivery. They will give you a quote.

You want to let them know as well other optional information such as whether you want them to pack the dollhouse for you or not, insurance or whether it needs to be picked up because you can't deliver it to their facility. If they have to pack it, custom boxes are extremely expensive so expect a big charge for that.

Assembled dollhouses are expensive to ship so get different quotes from different couriers.

Have you thought about delivering it in person? You're going to want to meet your brother and his whole family at some point, eh? Put the shipping cost toward a trip. :)

• Like 1

although a trip there would of course be the ultimate....it is not happening anytime soon.....Dean just started his new job/career...no vaycay time...

so THANK you...I simply was unsure how to proceed...of course he may bring his crew here at some point....but Christmas is coming and I would love to

send some gifts for my 2 new nieces and 2 new nephews....the Chantilly almost finished...

what about the bus? do I call them and how safe is that route?

I seem to remember one of the former members (I don't remember who) used the bus to ship dollhouses with great results, the prices were reasonable too. Check with Greyhound or any of the bus lines in your area, they should be able to answer your questions better than I could.

I shipped a Vineyard Cottage through the UPS store. I don't know if you've seen that house but it was covered in delicate "frosting". I had the girl pack it for me (I think they guarantee it if they do the packing.) She did such a good job, even put foam packing peanuts behind the little porch light. My Mom was so impressed when she noticed that :)If you take the house to the UPS store you just set it on the counter and they measure it,make a big fuss etc. I had a good experience,felt like we were in good hands....although I know there are nightmare stories. I also bought extra insurance and I think it came to around $50. Granted, that was only traveling from Utah to Arizona. If you google for ups stores in your area (or fedex if you go with them) or use google maps, reviews of each individual store may pop up and help you choose which to go to.

• Like 1

I shipped a Vineyard Cottage through the UPS store. I don't know if you've seen that house but it was covered in delicate "frosting". I had the girl pack it for me (I think they guarantee it if they do the packing.) She did such a good job, even put foam packing peanuts behind the little porch light. My Mom was so impressed when she noticed that :)If you take the house to the UPS store you just set it on the counter and they measure it,make a big fuss etc. I had a good experience,felt like we were in good hands....although I know there are nightmare stories. I also bought extra insurance and I think it came to around $50. Granted, that was only traveling from Utah to Arizona. If you google for ups stores in your area (or fedex if you go with them) or use google maps, reviews of each individual store may pop up and help you choose which to go to.

$50?? Wow, that is a GREAT price! Especially if they packed it for you and you got insurance. I was so tired of giving people high shipping prices that I would just have them call themselves for the quotes. Sometimes I thought they were thinking I was lying because the quotes were so high so I had them hear it for themselves. If I would have ever gotten a $50 price, I would have sold a lot more dollhouses. Maybe it's because I'm down here in Florida and it takes a whole day just for them to get out of the state or what but the prices were very high.

50 dollars- wow! The last time I left a shipping venue paying less than 100 dollars was when I shipped my half-scale Rosedale last year! :p And that was with packing it myself-- I always pack my own houses.

Edit: Wait, I take that back: the Buttercup was less than 100 to ship...

Now you guys have me second guessing myself..its been a year so I don't remember exactly. I know I shipped another box of goodies along with it and the total bill was $75 so it had to be somewhere around 50. Im sure the locations had a lot to do with it.

My Hofco was shipped through Greyhound from North Carolina to Pa. It was professionally packed by another business and shipped for $99, and it was a huge box - almost 5 ft. tall. It arrived without a scratch. Definitely worth looking into.

• Like 2