Why Must It Be So Difficult (a vent)

Grrr, what a day this has been. So I went out looking for clear plastic to over the back of the BH with. I want to protect my miniatures displayed in it once I decorate. I thought of making C channels so I can slide an acrylic pane in and out for easy opening but I changed my mind when I saw just how much side space that would require and my space is limited. So I decided to go with clear Velcro dots instead.

So far so good u til we get to the actual pane part which became a pain indeed. First I can't find thin plastic sheets anywhere. That would have been the ideal because they are easily cut. I found clear, very thin acrylic at AC Moore but its the size of scrapbook paper. Great for making windows but no where near the size I need it to cover the entire BH back. I had to go to the hardware store. I found large acrylic sheets there and they are expensive. Fine. I already figured it would be that way so I choose the thinnest one since I don't want it to be too heavy. I had my measurements and told the guy I wanted him to cut the sheet. Guess what? They don't. They don't cut any glass or plastic. At this point I'm livid. I have a terrible temper which I don't like about myself and have tried to change many times to no avail.

I had to buy the plastic cutting knife and the sheet since I figured I had no choice at this point. I just can't find anything else to use as the cover. Got home and saw that a work bench is recommended for cutting the sheet. Well, since I have no work bench or straight edge or the types of clamps they recommend, I had to do it the three stooges way.

In the end I'm not entirely disappointed with the result but I can't shake off the feeling that it could have been so much better. The cut edges are not as perfect as I wanted them to be. I have OCD so any little imperfection nags at me to no end. If the sheet would have been professionally cut, it would have been better. I had some choice words for that store, none that can be repeated in this family forum. For the hassle I had cutting that sheet, they should have charged me five dollars for it versus the twenty eight I paid.

• Like 2

Gina, take a deep breath and try to relax. Think of this like childbirth -- the pain of going through it will dull with time and all you'll remember is the great result. :D

• Like 2

Gina, I hear you all too well. Home Depot wouldn't cut Plexiglas for me, but Lowes would. You might want to try them next time. - I have a feeling your work today will pay off, so congratulations on a job well done.

• Like 2

Cheverly had recommended the clear plastic poster frame covers so I bought the largest poster frame I could find for $9 and cut the plastic with an exacto knife. Then applied the Velcro dots. It came out perfectly. Thanks Cheverly!

You should be able to sand the edges of the plexiglass to make it smoother.

• Like 2

I was going to say...poster frames..they are cheap and come with thin acrylic "glass". Although they scratch easily. Sorry you had a rough time...I hear you though, I've been having one of those phases where everything I pick up falls to the ground and breaks, everything I try to make looks like dog excrement. Here's to better days, cheers

• Like 1

Home Depot can't cut them because the saw blade heats up and melts the little pieces all over the saw...and it binds when the plastic itself comes in contact with hot blade and is dangerous. My local store used to, but then had a major issue when someone needed 10 sheets cut and it messed up the saw and scared the operator when it bound. Maybe lowe's has a different saw or just hasn't had that issue yet?. Wet/dry fine grit sandpaper will smooth out the edges well. Sorry you are not having a good day :(

• Like 1

Our Lowe's doesn't use a saw. They have a wall mounted gizmo with a blade that they used to cut a sheet in half for me so it would be easier to handle. It's right beside the rack with the plexi. I didn't ask them to cut it to size -- I did that when I got it home.

• Like 3

I find in situations like this it's best to write a strong letter to the store and complain about their policy's regarding glass and plastic(I dont just stop there I let the newspapers and the TV stations know too and then I bash them on the net like Angies list or any other DIY pages that allow you to vent about stores *obviously I dont do it to Mom and Pop stores cause their just trying to survive but Walmart Target Lowes..yea I give em heck*) Im sort of a pistol

• Like 3

quote name="nsmar4211" post="588056" timestamp="1412679625"]

Home Depot can't cut them because the saw blade heats up and melts the little pieces all over the saw...and it binds when the plastic itself comes in contact with hot blade and is dangerous. My local store used to, but then had a major issue when someone needed 10 sheets cut and it messed up the saw and scared the operator when it bound(

• Like 2

Thanks guys, some of these posts made me laugh!

There is a Lowes right across the street from the Home Depot and I had thought about going there since I knew they carried the sheets as well but last time I was there they told my husband they no longer cut PVC piping so I figured they wouldn't cut the sheet either. I'm smacking my forehead right now for not giving it a try anyways since now I think they might have cut it. Ahh! I just got so angry at the store that I stopped thinking straight. No one even bothered to explain the reason they don't cut it but I never expected them to use the saw. I just thought they would use some blade that scored the plastic and then break it at the score line. Its a no-brainer but they are either too lazy to do it, don't want to invest in the machine or my personal favorite, they want us to buy more stuff from them to be able to cut it.

And the poster frames, yup, I had thought of that and went to three different stores trying to find a big enough poster frame to no avail. Finally found one at Michaels but it was $55.00! Can you believe it? For that price I expect Brad Pitt to come out of it when I arrive home...lol

You would think clear plastic sheets would be very easy to find since nothing else is like them. They could be used in a variety of ways. Anyways, the edges aren't rough or anything because I sanded them down but they aren't completely straight. You can't tell when it positioned on the dollhouse but I know they aren't and it nags. I'm just trying to accept it and control my nit picking. After all you can't assemble dollhouse and be so petty or you'll go crazy. Well, too late, I'm already there.....

• Like 1

What about putting some c channels around the edges? Then they'd be straight and you couldn't see any imperfections (though I know you'd still know they're still there!)

• Like 2

$55 for a poster frame? Walmart sells em here for like $23 for a 2x3' one!! Yeowowowow :(

As for "above pay grade", sorry but a giant saw binds up and the material melts on the blade, you'd be a fool not to get concerned. And pay grade...well...it's big box retail. You're not being paid enough to lose a finger/eye etc! Besides, I don't blame them for not cutting the stuff. Just the probablility of breakage alone would be enough to make me run :). That said, I have a plastic cutter from other work I've done, I think I paid $6 for it at home depot, so no biggie for me :).

Let's see some pictures! I've been thinking in the future of covering mine too, would love to see how others do it ;)

• Like 2

Sorry you had such a hassle with this. I know how frustrating it can be when it's all clear as a bell in your head - but it doesn't come out the way you want it. Hopefully the end result - clean, dust-free minis - will override the frustration. And now you know where NOT to go when you need something else :)

• Like 1

I bought thin acrylic sheets at Home Depot. It's on the back wall of the store. I cut it with my husbands saw and then smoothed the edges with my Dremel. It's the acrylic I used as the ceiling of the hogwarts great hall ceiling. I feel your pain. My OCD is keeping me awake. Lol I'm not posting pictures of your BH, so that I can surprise you with the end result. Meanwhile I need help! Lol

• Like 1

Our Home Depot didn't have anything smaller than 1/4" thick, which was too heavy for the size I needed. Not sure if that's just my store though. I think Karin mentioned this before somewhere too, but Hobby Lobby also sells sheets of acrylic that's the perfect thickness for this application, and some of them are quite big (at least 2 x 3). It's in the stained glass section. Just don't buy one in a Texas thunderstorm though, or the wind will whip it around in your hands and by the time you get to the car you'll have a 5" rip in it. I'm just using it for replacement window glass though, so no biggie this time.

• Like 1

I am certainly going to pass by Hobby Lobby since I don't want this issue again when I do the Willowcrest.

The dollhouse is not done yet (but it's almost there), so I will be posting pictures up once it's decorated so you all can see how it came out.

I thought about using the C channels again but you just can't tell the cut edges aren't straight. You would have to take the whole sheet off the dollhouse and lay it against something square, like a table edge or something, to tell it isn't completely straight. For that reason I decided to not do the C channels. The sheet is about 1/8" thick but you would be surprised as to it's weight. It's pretty heavy. That's what made me scrap the C channel idea since sliding it to one side, with how large it is, will make it uncomfortable for me to hold up. The bottom edge will be resting on the table I plan on displaying the dollhouse on so that the dollhouse doesn't have to hold the weight on it's own.

I don't know why I can't find those large poster frames over here. The ones I saw at Walmart were just not big enough...grrr.

I hate the plastic cutter I bought too. It sucks but that's the one Home Depot had by the plastic sheets.