Hello! Could anyone help me identify this house and its contents?

lja

Hi there,

We were gifted this large dollhouse some time ago and a move across the country prompts me to try and figure out what it is, what it's worth, and if it should make the move. We know absolutely nothing about the world of miniature, so thank you in advance for your help!

Best,

Laura

2014_07_26_14_37_20_copy.jpg
2014_07_26_14_42_36_copy.jpg
2014_07_26_14_42_47_copy.jpg
2014_07_26_14_42_58_copy.jpg
2014_07_26_14_43_07_copy.jpg
2014_07_26_14_43_12_copy.jpg
2014_07_26_14_43_18_copy.jpg
2014_07_26_14_43_37_copy.jpg

Laura, you have a lovely doll house. It appears to have been built from scratch, not a kit, and there are some lovely and unique furnishings and dolls. It is difficult to suggest a value, as the sale price is often what the buyer is willing to pay. Whether or not it makes the trip with you depends on your personal attachment to it. Was it done by someone dear to you? Do you delight in having it? Is there a spot to display it in your new place?

If you decide to try to sell it, I'd suggest listing it on eBay. If you do that, please take better photos; opening the protective glass/plastic doors to avoid the glare will also help with the automatic camera focusing, I think.

Thanks, Kathie! I totally agree about the pictures - thanks for taking a look despite how bad they are! Unfortunately, we do not know who created it, or when. We are not as attached to it as someone else could be, which is part of why we might part with it. We have 5 children and keep it locked, which is not how it's meant to be. (It's just SO precious and there are dozens of tony pieces in each room - we feel a careful obligation to protect it.)

When people sell on Ebay, do sell the entire unit, or the house and room furnishings/dolls separately?

Thank you!

Laura

I understand the need to keep the contents protected. :D Thanks for the better photos.

When people sell on Ebay, do sell the entire unit, or the house and room furnishings/dolls separately?

Either way. Listing separately would be a lot more work. Might there be an eBay broker near you who could handle it for a fee? I recall reading about folks who do that but have never had the need to use one. Are there any brick and mortar dollhouse shops in your area that might take it on consignment?

Hopefully someone else will jump in here with other suggestions. One thing this forum excels in is brainstorming challenges.

Hello Laura,

this is a beautiful house you have there.

As for selling it - as Kathy said, selling it will be a bit of a challenge - you need to find that one buyer who really wants it. I think you need to consider a few things before you decide how to sell it:

Condition of the house: I saw some staining on walls - but overall it looks to be well maintained.

The floors and trim work have glue residue that yellowed, some of the wainscoting is 'cut to fit' so the angles aren't clean.

Some of the furniture is 'newer' which will reflect on the price.

Overall, I would say it is a restoration project for a collector.

If you had provenance for it and knew who built it that could boost the price. It is a nice piece, however, the staining, glue residue and other 'issues' point towards a hobby builder rather than a professional builder - which can lower the price.

It is quite hard to say whether or not you will get a higher price for selling separately or together. I would probably try the first and see how it goes. Furniture is usually a safe sale, while houses are typically slower to sell because of the shipping costs.

Why don't you price shipping first and see where that leaves you. A house that size might be cheapest to ship with FEDEX - just measure the house and add about 3 to 4 inches for styrofoam (get a price for sheets) and weigh it.

Wow, what a nice gift you received. This house looks like something you would find in a museum, but as elegant as the rooms look, it is hard to get the true value of what a house is worth.

When deciding whether to sell it or keep it, I would add one more question to Kathie's list. - Do you think one of your five children may want it some day?

If you decide to sell it, you can list two prices - one with the furniture and dolls, and one without them. If the right buyer comes along, he or she can decide whether to pay the extra price for the room contents. Or if you sell it on eBay, you can list a starting bid that is the lowest price you would accept for it. If you are lucky, you will get several bids, but like Chris says, you would have to factor in the shipping costs, and that can discourage even the most interested buyers.

Good luck with both the house and your upcoming move. Please keep us posted.

• Like 1

*sigh* It always breaks my heart to see something like this that the owner doesn't want; it's like selling off a child.

You could list the house and include whatever of the house's contents the buyer might want, and then list whatever's left.