book "The Miniaturist"

amyole

• 3 months later...

I started this book this week. It is based on a real dollhouse - if you google Petronella Oortman you will find pictures of it. It is currently on display in a museum in The Netherlands. When I finish the book, I'll write a review for us.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished reading this last week. A lukewarm recommendation. I did not really enjoy the writing style. Although the house exists, the author created a whole different story about it. If you want more details, pm me.

Thanks Amy. Kinda confirms my initial thoughts. I guess everyone is different aren't they? I tried to read a book which had 4.6 out of 5 on Amazon, and I got to page 16 and quit - I found it apalling, and struggled to give it 1 star. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I finished a book on my Kindle and an automatic rating page popped up. I tried to give the book three stars but the machine gave it five stars. I couldn't get it to cancel, nor was there a way to write a review to explain the reduced rating. This has happened two books in a row. So, I'm thinking it's necessary to read the reviews and not give a lot of weight to the star rating.

At my age there are too many books that I can enjoy and read over and over to waste time trying to struggle through turgid prose.

Amen Holly! As an undergrad, I was a double major in English and History. I had to read a whole lotta "literature" I did not want to read....so now I won't read a book I don't want to, lol

• 1 month later...

When I moved out of my parents house my mum gave me a copy to read. 7 months later I still haven't got round to reading it and my mum borrowed it last month. She read it and liked it. I'm not sure about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished reading it and I really enjoyed it. For me it was definitely a page turner, I wanted to find out what happens next, and little girls kept wanting me to play with them ;) I used to read a lot, but now family and other priorities usually take over. Every now and then reading becomes the priority! I must say I focus on the story rather than writing style, but in this book nothing jumped out and made me think 'that wasn't good, it could have been written better.' I don't usually read historic novels,I like more modern day stuff I can identify more easily with. The title and blurb on the back caught my attention when I was looking for something to grab at the grocery store when my reading need came, so I thought I'd give it a go, and for a change it was interesting to read how people reacted differently to things 300+ years ago (big part of the plot). I'd recommend it. :)

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

My sister, in England, is an avid reader and highly recommended this book to me. I mentioned it to my husband and he immediately ordered it for me. It arrived today. I don't know anything about it yet except the first page has a sketch of Petronella Oortman's Cabinet House which I personally saw last May in Amsterdam. I took some fabulous photos of it and will post them eventually.  

• 8 months later...

This book became my airplane book. I finally finished it between Raleigh and Ft Lauderdale, this weekend. Lugging a hardback around the country was trying but it was worth it. It is a good historical rendition of the late 1680's covering the social, economical and religious cultures of that time. My sister warned me that this was the author's first novel and to expect it to be a bit flowery. Unpredictable surprises. All in all, I enjoyed it.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/10/2014, 8:33:00, KathieB said:

I read the reviews on Amazon.com and decided not to download it. Will be interested on your review, CJ.

I'd forgotten this thread when I saw notice of the movie coming out and downloaded it to my Kindle. Just finished reading it. My initial evaluation was spot on. I wish I had not read it. Too dark and too many loose ends.