Hello from Upstate New York

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, but not new to miniatures. When I was an older teen, my mother bought me The Beacon Hill. We started to build it, and I made my first forays into making miniatures. I got a small kiln and a Parker-Levi mold and made some dolls. I also made clothing and various little odds and ends minis. I also subscribed to Nutshell News. Well, life happened...I got married, had children, moved from NY to California (incidentally, bringing the dollhouse with me), but never finished my Beacon Hill. I ended up having to sell it, but I kept all of my furniture, dolls and mini odds and ends.

Fast foward to now... my boys are grown, I'm divorced and moved back to my home town in upstate NY. I have just bought another Beacon Hill which I am bound and determined to finish this time :-) I'm off to a good start - I have all of my pieces punched out, organized into zip lock bags and labeled, and I have started gluing the foundation and the first few pieces of the shell. So far, so good!

I look forward to reading all of your posts and posting occasionally myself when time allows. I will leave you all with a little creation that I just made a couple of weeks ago...

post-63346-0-23243000-1416253933_thumb.j

post-63346-0-20088200-1416253944_thumb.j

• Like 3

Welcome Joan!

Its good to have you in the hobby, you have found a amazing group of talented artsits and soon to be friends here!

I am also a "Upstater" ...glad to know there is one other person :p

I love your curio mermaid, its a fantastic piece! I look forward to your progress on the beacon hill

~J

Welcome to the little family, Joan. I hope you are using a good wood glue and NOT hot glue to assemble your Beacon Hill. Some of us have found that it helps to dry fit first, or as we build, but since it's house you've already built one once maybe you don't need that part.

Welcome back to the world of miniatures, Joan. It is nice to have you here. You sound determined, so I am sure you will finish your Beacon Hill this time and that it will be better than ever, as you are more experienced and know what to expect. You also must have had this house in the back of your mind all these years, so you must have plans for it. If not, you will once you get started.

Please keep us posted on this project, and when you are able, please upload pictures to our gallery. - Best of luck.

Oh my goodness! I LOVE your Fiji mermaid! Incidentally, that was one of my favorite episodes of the X-Files (great show when it came out, but sadly hasn't weathered well over the years... so cheesy now).

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress with the BH! I, too, started as a teen, but it went by the wayside when I had my daughter. Now that she's in college, it's minis, minis, minis, all the time! :)

Welcome to the forum! We all hope you're very happy here!

• Like 1

I'm outside buffalo...north thankfully however just down the road couple miles got 5 feet! Round #2 tonight...the North towns this time...everything is shut down, travel bans, schools shut down tomorrow will be 3 days. 7 deaths have been reported. I'm getting back in bed and try to ride this out :)

• Like 1