How should I paint wooden dollhouse furniture?

milkykitten

I'm new to miniatures and I recently bought a small dresser from Hobby Lobby. It's unfinished wood and I've already sanded it so it's smooth, but I'm not sure how I should go about painting it. I have a design in mind, but I haven't seen any tutorials with step-by-step instructions. Should I use primer or sealer before painting? And what kind of paint should I use?

If it helps, this is what I got and this is a picture of my dresser after it was sanded.

If you could include brands of paints or any sealers I should use as well, that would help a lot. This is my first time painting anything and I want to do it properly. Thank you! :)

Alexander, there's really not one proper way to paint furniture or anything else. Some of us use leftover real-house paint on our miniatures. Others do a first coat of gesso. Some use wood stain pens (like felt markers) for a natural wood look. I'd recommend using water based craft paints for the variety of colors available and easy cleanup.

No matter what you use, plan to put on a couple of thin coats rather than a single thick coat. The first coat will raise little fibers in the wood, even though you've sanded it so beautifully. Let it dry completely, then give it a light sanding to remove them. The second coat will go on smoothly.