Saving a Beacon Hill

beanball76

Hello!

My name is Christina and I aquired a Beacon Hill dollhouse from a friend who was moving. I remember when she was building it and before she sold it, I asked her if I could have it.

The dollhouse has seen better days - it was played with by some little girls who did not understand the concept of playing nicely. Right now, I'm trying to save it. As of now, I am working on the outside and using a Dremel on it. Some of the pieces are so glued that I am going to have to sand them down, cut them off, or merely fill in the cracks with putty of some sort. My side kick is my Persian cat, Sebastian who has managed to fold himself up and move into the lower level of the house.

Any advice that you might have would be fantatic!

Christina

Welcome to the little family, Christine. Ask and you shall receive. I would consider a plexi cover for the open side of the house after n your renovation work is done, as Sebastian sounds as if he has staked a claim.

Yes- def go with a heat gun and putty knife to pry off stubborn trims, etc. That is what I mainly use for my rehabs. The heat will unfortunately damage any plexi glass in the windows, but sounds like you may have to replace them anyway.

oh- But first make sure Sebastian has moved out temporarily. ;)

My cat, Max, prefers to sit on the roof or the top floor of the houses and peer down at me while I work. :)

• 1 year later...

So its been a while since I've last been on.  But my dollhouse is not doing well.  Its killing me to admit that this is a lost cause --- but I don't have the heart to bury it.  My thought wa to get another kit, rebuild and add some remembers to the house. 

Thoughts?  Very guilt ridden right now.

Sometimes pulling the plug is the best choice. The Beacon Hill isn't the easiest build from the get-go (says someone whose half-built BH is glaring at her from across the room) and having to undo damage before making progress really seems too huge a project, especially if this is your first house. My advice would be to list it on Craig's List as a giveaway and hope it will go to someone with the right skills and tools to rehab it. Christmas is coming; there may well be a parent out there with a child who needs a dollhouse. If there are no takers in a week or so, my next inclination would be to put it on the curb with a FREE sign taped to it. If still no takers, I'd take it to the nearest dumpster. Even in the real world, houses get torn down and new houses are built on the lot. 

Whatever you do, don't feel guilty. You were seduced by the potential beauty of the house. I'm guessing you fell in love with what you imaged it would look like when totally rehabbed and redecorated. Not having the skills, tools, or patience to bring it to that level should not weigh on you. Trust me, it's easier to pick up skills working on a new construction, and we're here to lend support when it gets challenging. 

Christina, I'm with Kathie!  Go ahead and get the new kit and build that; there are very informative blogs here by skilled, experienced Beacon Hill builders to help, and we are all here to answer questions.

Thanks for the feedback.  I feel a little better.  I was hoping to upcycle the house for my cat as he seems to enjoy it.  But then again, the issue of space comes up.  I am a first time builder - many have said that a Bedford is not the way to go.  Any recommendations on a good kit.  I still have the furniture from the old house. 

Any kit that speaks to your heart is a good kit to build, however long it takes you.  Then again, some of us are just not builders, but are collectors.  If I didn't enjoy building so much and just wanted to have that "ONE" perfect house I'd buy one of our Tracy's gorgeous houses.