Uncomplicated camera suggestions, please!

Sivin

I have absolutely had it with my current digital camera and would like some suggestions for a replacement. The camera I have is a Canon Power Shot SD1000 Digital Elph purchased probably ten years ago. I have always found the thing too darned complicated for my purposes. I simply need a camera that can take good close-ups of the miniatures (I do a blog for a shop), flash if needed, and basic all around shots of the family, etc. It doesn't need to tweet or bark, (mine has this ability) edit, or dance a jig. It has to be simple. Further I would like to stay in the $100 range, but can go up if needed.

Thanks much!

I am no camera wiz, but my husband bought me an Olympus XZ1 and it's a great little camera. He bought it specifically for me to photograph my minis. I just point and click pretty much and the photos are generally beautiful. If you look at my blog, the photos are all taken with my Olympus. Takes beautiful outdoor/scenery/building photos etc too.

Not sure of the price of mine, but I'd be maybe going into a reputable store and asking for something that photographs small items up close. Or check online on photography forums.

• Like 1

I have several cameras, but 2 I use both for minis and regular photography... the one I use the most for my minis is a Canon SX260 HS (it's a pocket size camera so great for getting in tight areas)... I am not sure of the price on these now, I bought mine about 2 years ago and it was a bit over $200.00 then... I also use a Canon SX50 HS, this one will run you about $400.00 though, but it's an amazing camera... I can set the lens RIGHT up on the object I am shooting and get a clear, focused picture.

• Like 1

I have a Kodak EasyShare DX4530, which is now at least 10 years old, and until very recently I loved it. It has a macro setting and I had no problem getting good sharp pix of the miniatures. However - HAD is the keyword here. For some reason, in just the last few weeks, the macro setting has quit working. I just get a lot blurry pictures. So I am in the market for a good one, also, but I don't think $100 will do it.

I'm taking most of my pictures now with my Android cellphone, and they are great. Easy to get up close, uploads automatically to the Cloud, and it's easy to share.

But I still want a new camera.

• Like 1

I had a small digital Canon sure shot type but was never satisfied with the quality as I was used to a non-digital SLR for years and years. The little one finally died and I reluctantly went with a Canon EOS Rebel xsi. I have loved it. It can be completely manual or many levels of varied automated components. It's not cheap but definitely worth saving up for. Lots of lens available, fun filters, and accessories.

• Like 2

I am sorry you are having problems with your camera, but I am so glad you posted this, as I know I am not the only one not satisfied with her camera. I have a Nikon Coolpix, but for an amatuer camera, it contains too many photo modes that have little to no effect on the picture. It contains a close-up mode, but there are few close-up shots I am satisfied with, and even fewer that I actually think turned out good. The close-ups rarely come out clear enough, and while the camera wasn't overly expensive compared to more advanced models, it was still over $100. That is way too much for the quality it produces.

• Like 1

I love my Canon Ixus camera. I had a small one that lasted 9 years, bought a newer model last year. It is great for taking video clips and closeup photos. Easy to use without too many settings (there are a few cool ones if you want to try them out).

I also have a Panasonic Lumix which is similar, but can also do underwater photography. Really fun to use at the waterpark, beach, etc.

My big Canon 650D is for more serious photography with various lenses, but it is super heavy and clunky to carry everything around. It can just zoom better than the small cameras can.

I took all three to Europe and used the small Canon the most!

• Like 2

I'm also on the market for a new camera and macro of course is the key. From what I'm seeing here the most popular and well liked for macro settings is a cannon. I've also seen the newer cameras can be wi-fi for easy sharing. So it looks like I will look for a Cannon with wi-fi.

• Like 1