Garfield - question about tabs and gluing

iwishtofish

The other tool that Deb told me about is called The Chopper ll. Here is an

amazon link. I got mine directly from Northwest. I love this one because it's easier on my old lady hands.

http://www.amazon.com/Northwest-Short-Line-Chopper-II/dp/B004P3SRI0

Oh and the glue question - I have not had problems with it adhering properly. I do a light sand to rough up the area first. If it's small enough you can just use an emery board and run over the edge. Others strictly say to leave the wood bare and tape it off first. I've never bothered and (fingers crossed) it's worked so far.

• Like 1

Oh and the glue question - I have not had problems with it adhering properly. I do a light sand to rough up the area first. If it's small enough you can just use an emery board and run over the edge. Others strictly say to leave the wood bare and tape it off first. I've never bothered and (fingers crossed) it's worked so far.

Ok, thanks. The floors in the dollhouse are already primed. To experiment with flooring, I just primed a piece of scrap from the construction - tomorrow I'll try gluing the little wood strips I bought to that, as a test case.

Here is the Micro Mark version that I use: http://www.micromark.com/miter-master,6943.html and yes, wood glue sticks to flat interior latex and if the paint's not too thick it doesn't mess with the dimensions & fit. The miter box and saw are nice for thicker stuff.

Looks perfectly suitable for your little Princess. Much more play worthy than the Garfield for her little fingers.

Consider leaving the window openings empty so she can reach in and out to tend to her interior design duties easier.

Hey, it's what she wants (it sets off some interesting moire-type vibrations in my eyeballs!)

Ha, I know what you mean!

You are a great dad,Bryan,and I know she must be very happy right now! :)

Hey thanks - I think she is! :)

Looks perfectly suitable for your little Princess. Much more play worthy than the Garfield for her little fingers.

Consider leaving the window openings empty so she can reach in and out to tend to her interior design duties easier.

Thank you, and a good idea. Just a little trim and shutters, perhaps.

I tried to find some pre-made wooden shutters on Ebay this morning, but all are about 5" tall, and I need to find some that are about 3" tall. I guess I could cut them to modify?

On my test board that is primed (like the inside of the dollhouse), I have glued and stained some flooring, and I like the way it turned out. The craft sticks I used cost easily twice as much as wooden coffee stirrers, so I'm debating whether or not to buy some stirrers and do an experiment with them. I also glued on some plain paper with Elmer's clear glue - it is Avery heavyweight textured note card paper, and it printed some wallpaper pattern very well. I just wanted to see how well the glue did, and it seems to have worked out great.

test_board01post_zpsa100d80c.jpg

I know I'll put some varnish over the floors when they are done, but what about coating the wallpaper? Is there anything that can be used to seal/preserve it that doesn't either run the ink, or detract from the look?

I'd use a krylon artist grade clear matte spray for the wallpaper. Brushing anything over inkjet work will smear it. You could try color laser printing at an office supply store.

The only problem that sometimes occurs with flooring and water based glues, is it can create some warping. Solvent glues are less likely to warp the wood.

You can get stirrers and craft sticks online in bulk for a lot less than the local craft stores.

Making shutters isn't an option? They aren't that difficult. If you haven't primed your floors you might consider staining them to match whatever you use on your floors. I like to use iron-on wood veneer strips, I cut them into 6" lengths and split them lengthwise, but a lot of members invest in the stirrer sticks. If you have primed your floors, consider painting the ones you want to cover with floorboards a color to go with the final stain. I use a matte finish artist's spray sealer for printies.

Unfortunately, Holly, I have limited tools (as well as knowledge), so making something like that might be tough for me. I'd definitely be willing to tackle it, though, if I see a path to success!

The whole inside of the dollhouse is already primed, so, yes, that white showing through any cracks in the flooring might be an issue. I have to decide, also, whether or not to paint the ceilings white vs. wallpapering them.

Bryan, I make shutters, doors, windows, etc with a utility knife and new, sharp blades, a cork backed steel straight edge, a self-healing cutting mat, basswood and wood glue. What tools do you need?

For a child's house I'd paint the ceilings so they can be easily repaired or touched up as needed from wear and tear.

As to white showing, you can add a thin coat of paint the same color as your flooring pieces so the white doesn't show through.

Also a good thing to do on any roof project - underpaint to match the shingles.

The wider popsicle sticks might be wide enough for shutters. I have some that are 3/4". You could also put 2 or 3 skinny ones side by side with a cross piece holding them together like real shutters on old houses.

Bryan, I make shutters, doors, windows, etc with a utility knife and new, sharp blades, a cork backed steel straight edge, a self-healing cutting mat, basswood and wood glue. What tools do you need?

I guess just basswood? That's soft enough to cut with the utility knife?

The wider popsicle sticks might be wide enough for shutters. I have some that are 3/4". You could also put 2 or 3 skinny ones side by side with a cross piece holding them together like real shutters on old houses.

I'll paint the ceilings. I have 3/4" popsicle sticks, but they are quite thin and some curl a bit. Maybe I'll experiment with gluing a couple together...

Micheals sells a wood trim which can be used for shutters. It comes in 24" (maybe it's 36") 1" wide pieces:

http://www.michaels.com/artminds-ornamental-moulding-1in/10398597.html#q=Wood+molding&start=10

Thanks, Sable! I was near a Michaels today, but hadn't yet seen your comment.

That's pretty neat, Holly - thanks. I'm going to try to find some more time to experiment soon.